What does Graphedit do?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Per someone's suggestion, I loaded Graphedit, however so far it's not quite
clear to me if it simply tells you what's going on or if it enables you
manipulate what's being used.

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Per someone's suggestion, I loaded Graphedit, however so far it's not
> quite
> clear to me if it simply tells you what's going on or if it enables you
> manipulate what's being used.

GraphEdit was initially a tool to be used with one of MS SDKs
for DirectShow. It was intended to allow a developer to test out
components ("filters" for the most part ) and see how DirectX would
interact with them, it was not meant to be used as an application all
by itself. You were just to use it to workout how to put together
a working application, with error handling and other features.

That said, you can normally access the component's "property
page" and there by modify how that component functions, when
played/run in GraphEdit. (And therefor what settings to use in
your application.) So, some even use it as a capture program or
a player.

It will let you specify each component without regard to the merit
system, so that you can establish what to make the merit settings
so that your preferred filter will be used. If you have it set to
automatically render a graph (the default) then when you drop in a
media file that can be rendered, GraphEdit will use the merit
system to select the components to graph. You can also render
each pin. If you have a file destination filter, you can construct
filters that convert or capture to the destination filter's format.

Luck;
Ken

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> You can also render
> each pin.

Could you elaborate on this point? I see the "pins" at each end of the
various filters, but what do you mean you can render each pin?

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>> You can also render
>> each pin.
>
> Could you elaborate on this point? I see the "pins" at each end of the
> various filters, but what do you mean you can render each pin?

Ok, the pins on the right side of the box are output and the
ones on the left side are input. If you right-click on a pin there
are three options displayed the top one is "Render Pin" and the
bottom one is "Pin Properties". These options may be greyed
out or not greyed out and still not work, depending on the filter
and the pin.

Try this; insert an "Audio capture source" filter then an "Audio
compressor" filter (PCM will do). Now right-click on the top
pin on the right side of your "Audio Source" filter box. Then
click on "Render Pin". You should have a mostly rendered
graph.

Now click on the first blank page icon to clear the graph.
Find a music file, that plays on your system, and drag &
drop it on GraphEdit. It should be rendered using the
current highest merit filters for that kind of file. Hit the
green play arrow.

That should give you the idea.

Luck;
Ken