dotcom

....I just got my first laptop and I have successfully set up my desktop and
laptop with RDP and they can see each other fine. My desktop is hard wired
to a Netgear Wireless Router and the laptop is connected to the router
wirelessly. They can see each other fine on both the LAN and using RDP. My
question is, if I were to take my laptop say out of town and use the hotel
internet service, can the laptop still log onto my desktop just as it is or
do I have to also configure the internet RDP thingie? I am complete new to
all this so please reply in the most simplest terms.
Thank you.

You can do that...Setup port forwarding in the router for TCP Port 3389 to the static private LAN IP
for the desktop...You would call using the public IP of the router or a fully qualified domain
name...

Additionally you can run Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel for added security...See the
following for help with SSH....

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

....or these pages for help setting up a PPTP VPN tunnel...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Personally I use the SSH method...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"DotCom" <No@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Oi5S%23GuZFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> ...I just got my first laptop and I have successfully set up my desktop and laptop with RDP and
> they can see each other fine. My desktop is hard wired to a Netgear Wireless Router and the
> laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. They can see each other fine on both the LAN and
> using RDP. My question is, if I were to take my laptop say out of town and use the hotel internet
> service, can the laptop still log onto my desktop just as it is or do I have to also configure the
> internet RDP thingie? I am complete new to all this so please reply in the most simplest terms.
> Thank you.

dotcom

Hmmm just when I was soooo proud of myself setting up a LAN (wireless even)
and then getting RDP to work and just when I thought I knew everything, you
hit me with this! LOL Okay, looks like I've got some reading to do. All
this is quite Greek to me. But just so that I understand, that fact that I
have successfully set up RDP over my LAN is *NOT* sufficient in order to be
able to use RDP in a remote location. Is that correct? I have to set up
additional configurations like the ones you have provided below. Correct?
dotcom

> You can do that...Setup port forwarding in the router for TCP Port 3389 to
> the static private LAN IP for the desktop...You would call using the
> public IP of the router or a fully qualified domain name...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> Additionally you can run Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel for
> added security...See the following for help with SSH....
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>
> ...or these pages for help setting up a PPTP VPN tunnel...
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>
> Personally I use the SSH method...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "DotCom" <No@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> ...I just got my first laptop and I have successfully set up my desktop
>> and laptop with RDP and they can see each other fine. My desktop is hard
>> wired to a Netgear Wireless Router and the laptop is connected to the
>> router wirelessly. They can see each other fine on both the LAN and
>> using RDP. My question is, if I were to take my laptop say out of town
>> and use the hotel internet service, can the laptop still log onto my
>> desktop just as it is or do I have to also configure the internet RDP
>> thingie? I am complete new to all this so please reply in the most
>> simplest terms.
>> Thank you.

Reply to message from "DotCom" <No@nospam.com> (Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:42:51) about "Re:
Stupid Newbie question...":

> Hmmm just when I was soooo proud of myself setting up a LAN (wireless even) and then
> getting RDP to work and just when I thought I knew everything, you hit me with this!
> LOL Okay, looks like I've got some reading to do. All this is quite Greek to me. But
> just so that I understand, that fact that I have successfully set up RDP over my LAN
> is * NOT* sufficient in order to be able to use RDP in a remote location. Is that
> correct? I have to set up additional configurations like the ones you have provided
> below. Correct? dotcom

> "Sooner Al [MVP]"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:
> %23BGeFluZFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13. phx.gbl...
>> You can do that...Setup port forwarding in the router for TCP Port
>> 3389 to the static private LAN IP for the desktop...You would call using the public IP
>> of the router or a fully qualified domain name...

>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ RemoteDesktop/
>> RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooti ng.html

>> Additionally you can run Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel for added
>> security...See the following for help with SSH....

>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/
>> RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

>> ...or these pages for help setting up a PPTP VPN tunnel...

>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ networking/xp_vpn_server.htm http://
>> www.onecomputerguy.com/ networking/xp_vpn.htm

>> Personally I use the SSH method...

>> --

>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of
>> all of us...
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp. support.microsoft.com This posting is provided "AS
>> IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

>> "DotCom" <No@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Oi5S%23GuZFHA.
>> 1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> ...I just got my first laptop and I have successfully set up my desktop and laptop
>>> with RDP and they can see each other fine. My desktop is hard wired to a Netgear
>>> Wireless Router and the laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. They can see
>>> each other fine on both the LAN and using RDP. My question is, if I were to take my
>>> laptop say out of town and use the hotel internet service, can the laptop still log
>>> onto my desktop just as it is or do I have to also configure the internet RDP
>>> thingie? I am complete new to all this so please reply in the most simplest terms.
>>> Thank you.

At a minimum you need to forward TCP Port 3389 through your router to access your PC from
a remote site...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Call using using the public IP of the router or a fully qualified domain name...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC