Hard Drive?

I'm wanting to start working with video and need to know a good
external hard drive to get. Is the below hard drive what I need, or
would you suggest something different? Is it fast enough?

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10461
13 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    utseay@aol.com wrote:
    > I'm wanting to start working with video and need to know a good
    > external hard drive to get. Is the below hard drive what I need, or
    > would you suggest something different? Is it fast enough?
    >
    > http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10461

    Definitely a great drive for doing video work!! And for miniDV
    footage, it's more than fast enough.

    Mike

    My external hard drive has stopped working, or is
    intermittent, definitely not reliable. I checked the firewire
    card and it works with camcorder and digicam.
    Took the harddrive out of the external housing and
    plugged it into another computer, the hard drive showed
    up and worked OK, so the problem is with the external
    interface.
    If you have room install a second hard drive in your
    computer.

    On 5 Aug 2005 04:27:45 -0700, utseay@aol.com wrote:

    >I'm wanting to start working with video and need to know a good
    >external hard drive to get. Is the below hard drive what I need, or
    >would you suggest something different? Is it fast enough?
    >
    >http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10461

    Actualy I have a Imac G5 so it's a no go on the internal drive.

    Does that price look right for a 500 gig external? Anyone know of any
    other good external HD's that are cheaper (price not quality)?

    irwell wrote:
    > My external hard drive has stopped working, or is
    > intermittent, definitely not reliable. I checked the firewire
    > card and it works with camcorder and digicam.
    > Took the harddrive out of the external housing and
    > plugged it into another computer, the hard drive showed
    > up and worked OK, so the problem is with the external
    > interface.
    > If you have room install a second hard drive in your
    > computer.
    >

    > On 5 Aug 2005 04:27:45 -0700, utseay@aol.com wrote:
    >
    > >I'm wanting to start working with video and need to know a good
    > >external hard drive to get. Is the below hard drive what I need, or
    > >would you suggest something different? Is it fast enough?
    > >
    > >http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10461

    Do you have any suggestions on a good drive?

    utseay@aol.com wrote:
    > Do you have any suggestions on a good drive?

    A friend of mine runs a local post house (Avid & FCP) and has at least
    a dozen LaCie external drives. He's never had any problems with them
    whatsoever and they're used extensively.

    Mike

    <utseay@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have any suggestions on a good drive?

    My computer supplier, who does a big Internet dusiness, says that the "best"
    drives are a moving target. There was a time, when IBM Deskstars were good
    performers---then, they weren't. I bought a Western Digital the other day
    because, my purveyor said, "I'm getting the fewest returns on W.D. over the
    last few months." For what its worth.

    Steve King

    sounds like he's practicing SWIG. Sell What I Got

    Steve

    "Steve King" <steveSPAMBLOCK@stevekingSPAMBLOCK.net> wrote in message
    > <utseay@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you have any suggestions on a good drive?
    > >

    > My computer supplier, who does a big Internet dusiness, says that the
    "best"
    > drives are a moving target. There was a time, when IBM Deskstars were
    good
    > performers---then, they weren't. I bought a Western Digital the other day
    > because, my purveyor said, "I'm getting the fewest returns on W.D. over
    the
    > last few months." For what its worth.
    >
    > Steve King

    The seem to work fine on Macs but their windows drivers etc.. blow ..

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam@xplornet.com> wrote in message

    > utseay@aol.com wrote:
    > > Do you have any suggestions on a good drive?
    >

    > A friend of mine runs a local post house (Avid & FCP) and has at least
    > a dozen LaCie external drives. He's never had any problems with them
    > whatsoever and they're used extensively.
    >
    > Mike

    On 5 Aug 2005 04:27:45 -0700, utseay@aol.com wrote:

    >I'm wanting to start working with video and need to know a good
    >external hard drive to get. Is the below hard drive what I need, or
    >would you suggest something different? Is it fast enough?
    >
    >http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10461

    My favorite are the removable HDD drawers. I have more than a dozen
    drives sitting on a shelf that I swap into a bay whenever I need
    videos or music etc. Most Maxtor and a few Western Digital. One
    returned Maxtor out of two dozen in many years of use. They send me a
    new one right away and let me return the bad one whenever I got around
    to it. I would avoid one large drive as if it failed you would lose
    more files. I have 250gigs and smaller with others as backup. Ah Yes.
    Back up. Must not forget that.

    Jimmy

    for audio and general work, i have found the Seagate Barracuda drives
    with the 8mb cache to be solid performers. i'm new to video, so i'm
    not sure if there is something else out there, but as far as 7200rpm
    ata drives, i like them a lot.

    eventually i will get into a raid-0 setup. this splits the audio
    between two drives, roughly doubling the performance. however, if one
    drive crashes, the data on both drives becomes meaningless. so you
    need to back up to a third drive.

    genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:
    > for audio and general work, i have found the Seagate Barracuda drives
    > with the 8mb cache to be solid performers. i'm new to video, so i'm
    > not sure if there is something else out there, but as far as 7200rpm
    > ata drives, i like them a lot.
    >
    > eventually i will get into a raid-0 setup. this splits the audio
    > between two drives, roughly doubling the performance. however, if one
    > drive crashes, the data on both drives becomes meaningless. so you
    > need to back up to a third drive.

    I have never set up a raid system but I know many others have reported
    good and bad. I see no need to raid now that there are single drives about
    as large as I would want. I rather have the drives idle on a shelf with no
    power applied and no heat or wear than have many smaller drives configured
    beyond any emendate storage needs.

    Raid-0 has *nothing* to do with increasing storage space. In fact it
    "wastes" space. what it does is span the data across two drives in an
    alternating fashion. The seek times are cut in half and the throughput
    doubles (roughly speaking). Kind of like two people trying to carry a
    heavy object rather than one.

    <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Raid-0 has *nothing* to do with increasing storage space. In fact it
    > "wastes" space. what it does is span the data across two drives in an
    > alternating fashion. The seek times are cut in half and the throughput
    > doubles (roughly speaking). Kind of like two people trying to carry a
    > heavy object rather than one.

    It does look like one big drive, instead of 2 smaller drives. I don't think
    the total space gets much smaller than the total formatted space of the
    2 separate drives. The only things RAID-0 give you is more speed and
    a larger unified disk space. If you loose any of the drives in your
    RAID-0 array, all of your data is gone. There is no redundancy. I'm using
    a RAID-5 array. It has 4 drives, but you only get to use the space of 3.
    A space equal to the one of the drives is used for redundancy (don't
    ask me how). If any of the drives fail, the array will not loose anything
    and will continue to be usable while it tries to rebuild itself. If the
    failure
    of the drive is fatal, then you have to swap out the defective drive and
    then it will attempt to rebuild itself again (in the background). It doesn't
    improve the speed though, in fact it slows down the drive access a little.

    David

Tuner Cards Video Hard Drives External Hard Drive Graphics