Remote Desktop Connection disconnects

I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
either system. Thanks.

Barry
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection disconnects

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:22:02 -0700, "Barry"
    <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
    >remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
    > I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
    >VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
    >started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
    >once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
    >either system. Thanks.
    >

    >Barry
    Wife, Kids, Housekeeper? <G> Happend to me :/
    Stupid RDC host does not post a "In Use" on the Login Screen.

    Were you activly interacting with the host when the connection was
    lost?

    What device manages the VPN connection at the host end?
    , _
    , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
    , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
    , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
    , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

    Hi Steve:

    It wouldn't be the wife or kids. I'm connecting to my office computer. I
    dial into the network using a VPN connection and just lose the connection at
    any time - sometimes in the middle of typing a word or sometimes it's while
    the computer is inactive. I'm convinced the problem is with the remote
    (home) computer. I recently did install MS updates to the computer for the
    first time in a while. I was thinking it could be the security center or
    firewall maybe, so I just yesterday didabled both and for the last hour I was
    working I did not lose my connection. Only time will tell.

    "Steve Urbach" wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:22:02 -0700, "Barry"
    > <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
    > >remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
    > > I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
    > >VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
    > >started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
    > >once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
    > >either system. Thanks.
    > >

    > >Barry
    > Wife, Kids, Housekeeper? <G> Happend to me :/
    > Stupid RDC host does not post a "In Use" on the Login Screen.
    >
    > Were you activly interacting with the host when the connection was
    > lost?
    >
    > What device manages the VPN connection at the host end?
    > , _
    > , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
    > , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
    > , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
    > , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 05:01:02 -0700, "Barry"
    <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Steve:
    >
    >It wouldn't be the wife or kids. I'm connecting to my office computer. I
    >dial into the network using a VPN connection and just lose the connection at
    >any time - sometimes in the middle of typing a word or sometimes it's while
    >the computer is inactive. I'm convinced the problem is with the remote
    >(home) computer. I recently did install MS updates to the computer for the
    >first time in a while. I was thinking it could be the security center or
    >firewall maybe, so I just yesterday didabled both and for the last hour I was
    >working I did not lose my connection. Only time will tell.

    Sounds like I should "knock on wood" :)

    My XPro patches are up to date, but I only play "remote IT guy" for
    short periods of time. Just long enough to monitor the status of A/V
    updates and to apply patches.

    Since you were active on the keyboard, it doesn't sound like a power
    save mode kicked in.

    Do you have UPS on both the computer and ALL the Network components?
    A power blink might knock down the network, which will reconnect, but
    the RDC might not recover.

    , _
    , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
    , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
    , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
    , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

    I had the same problem. XP Pro as Clients, win 2003 as a Terminal Server.
    Not all of the clients, just selected ones get droped frome time to time...
    I am still looking for a solution.

    Leo

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP