Time Base Corrector

Can anybody pass along a brand and model number of a good, but
affordable TBC? Thanks.

"wildchild79" wrote ...
> Can anybody pass along a brand and model number of a good, but
> affordable TBC? Thanks.

What are you using it for?
What does "affordable" mean to you?

to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.
Thanks
Richard Crowley wrote:
> "wildchild79" wrote ...
> > Can anybody pass along a brand and model number of a good, but
> > affordable TBC? Thanks.
>
> What are you using it for?
> What does "affordable" mean to you?

> Richard Crowley wrote:
>> "wildchild79" wrote ...
>> > Can anybody pass along a brand and model number of a good, but
>> > affordable TBC? Thanks.
>>
>> What are you using it for?
>> What does "affordable" mean to you?

"wildchild79" wrote ...
> to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
> line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
> picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.
> Thanks

I can't think of anything, even used, at that price that I would
describe as "good".

On 6 Aug 2005 19:07:00 -0700, "wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net>
wrote:

>to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
>line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
>picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.

At that price, you would better off buying a new VHS machine with an
integral TBC. Not sure what's available in the US, but Panasonic still
do one in the UK which I recommend for people needing to do this in
PAL.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

"wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Can anybody pass along a brand and model number of a good, but
> affordable TBC? Thanks.

http://www.datavideo.us/products/tbc_1000_main_page.htm

This is probably the best known standalone TBC out there.
It Froogles for around $300. You might find it used or
refurbished for less.

Luck;
Ken

AnthonyR

"Steve Roberts" <steveroberts@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> On 6 Aug 2005 19:07:00 -0700, "wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>>to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
>>line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
>>picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.
>
> At that price, you would better off buying a new VHS machine with an
> integral TBC. Not sure what's available in the US, but Panasonic still
> do one in the UK which I recommend for people needing to do this in
> PAL.
>
> Steve
>
> The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
> http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

That's good advice too, Steve. :)
Great web site! also.

A friend of mine from England just got me into Dr. Who, with the new series
and I love it.
Eventually I'd want to catch up on the older originals also, keep up the
great work.
AnthonyR.

Check eBay for a used JVC KM-F250. Or a used Alta Pixis E. (It has to be
the E model, or you're limited on what decks you can use with it.) Or a
Used Alta Centaurus. I just bought one for $26.

You will get full proc-amp controls, (you need these) and on the Altas, a
switcher that will allow you to leave several sources hooked up and just
switch between them, as well as some features you probably don't need like
the ability to reference to an outside source. You'll also be
able to handle Y/C and component signals directly from your DVD player.

Of course, you have to be prepared for the fact that they might have
problems or not work at all.

Steve

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> > Richard Crowley wrote:
> >> "wildchild79" wrote ...
> >>
> >> What are you using it for?
> >> What does "affordable" mean to you?
>
> "wildchild79" wrote ...
> > to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
> > line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
> > picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.
> > Thanks
>
> I can't think of anything, even used, at that price that I would
> describe as "good".

thanks for your help guys!
I'll check out the recommendations.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

This always brings up the interesting question of what you mean TBC.
I have the AVE5 which is an on-the-fly digital storage buffer. I'm not sure
if it stores a full frame or fraction of, but in a poor signal it will
retain at
least a semblance of a picture with sync of course, though the image may be
torn up.
The other choice is a TBC that sits next to the deck and feeds a control
signal back to the servo, etc. These correct the mechanics and tackle
the problem that way. I'm not sure if and how much storage this solution
usually uses. I'm wondering if the servo/TBC method is the prefered way,
or the digital storage.........
And, yes, the AVE5 has a limited memory and low-bit resolution, so the
storage quality is not the best, but reasonable (if you don't look for the
detail in the low-key lighting)

In article <KyuJe.600$ZG2.429176@twister.nyc.rr.com>, AnthonyR
<nomail@nospam.com> writes

>"Steve Roberts" <steveroberts@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> On 6 Aug 2005 19:07:00 -0700, "wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>to record from vhs to dvd...less than $200? I do not need top of the
>>>line with a million features..just something that gives a good, clear
>>>picture...with no ghosting or any of those things.
>>
>> At that price, you would better off buying a new VHS machine with an
>> integral TBC. Not sure what's available in the US, but Panasonic still
>> do one in the UK which I recommend for people needing to do this in
>> PAL.
>>

>That's good advice too, Steve. :)

Integral TBC on a VHS player is only a single line at a time, which is
good enough to correct wobbly verticals but will not rescue you from
full-frame dropouts.

If you are going via PC to make your DVD, the Canopus ADVC300
analog-firewire box has built in timebase correction. Somewhat above
your budget though.

I have got an old panasonic AVE5 mixer which makes a great TBC if you
can live with the slight fuzzing of the picture, it will give you a
stable picture from absolutely anything. Try ebay for something like
that.
--
Tim Mitchell

right now, i am transferring from vhs to a panasonic DMR-E85H recorder.
I am trying to find the best way to do this without losing any quality.
Also, the main problem i see is a little ghosting and I'm not sure
what's causing it. I also have a widescreen HD tv screen..so i don't
know if that has anything to do with it.
If I pass the signal through a TBC,would it make the quality any
worse..because it is connecting through another device before going
into the recorder?
Thanks

> right now, i am transferring from vhs to a panasonic DMR-E85H recorder.
> I am trying to find the best way to do this without losing any quality.
> Also, the main problem i see is a little ghosting and I'm not sure
> what's causing it. I also have a widescreen HD tv screen..so i don't
> know if that has anything to do with it.
> If I pass the signal through a TBC,would it make the quality any
> worse..because it is connecting through another device before going
> into the recorder?
> Thanks

The TBC function itself only stabilizes the video, however
there are usually a whole host of color correction and noise
reduction circuitry included with one you can buy. This
means that you may view the default settings for these add
on features, as an improvement or as a loss in video "Quality".
With some adjustments, you should be able to create video
that you would perceive as an improvement.

Luck;
Ken

Kaboom

On 9 Aug 2005 13:16:39 -0700, "wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net>
wrote:

>right now, i am transferring from vhs to a panasonic DMR-E85H recorder.
>I am trying to find the best way to do this without losing any quality.
>Also, the main problem i see is a little ghosting and I'm not sure
>what's causing it. I also have a widescreen HD tv screen..so i don't
>know if that has anything to do with it.

**You know, before you buy a TBC, perhaps you should try moving the
cables and/or electronics around in your 'setup' just in case your
problem is with interference. Sometimes ghosting is the result of
interference from another device or cable. I record VHS to a Panasonic
e85, too, and I have no problems. Make sure that all your connections
are secure, also. You can also try upgrading the pertinent cables, get
ones with better shielding but nothing too expensive. I use the RCA
cable that came with the Panasonic. All in all, it'll probably be much
cheaper to give these a whirl before buying a TBC.

>If I pass the signal through a TBC,would it make the quality any
>worse..because it is connecting through another device before going
>into the recorder?

**You mean VCR-->TBC-->E85? It should make certain aspects of VHS
better.

Go here:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/

In "search all forums" type in TBC (or whatever else you're interested
in) and you'll get a boatload of results. Keep in mind that a lot of
the posts have to do with using a computer to make a DVD but all the
info is great to have on hand.

kaboomie

I will try shifting some things around.
Sometimes I see kind of a shadow on the screen when somebody moves
there hand quickly...or when the credits roll i see a slight shadow
coming up with the credits. Isn't this ghosting?
Also, when the screen goes black I can see a horizontal line rolling up
on the screen (banding?).
And very rarely, I have seen 2 vertical lines stuck on the screen the
whole time, which i was told is a result of macrovision.
Is the quality better if you hook up the vcr to the computer and use
the dvd burner???
Thanks again.

Tes...I have the Sima SCC and I have fixed up a few old programs
color-wise in the past.
However, I frequently encounter a problem, when using it..it will fix
the color, but it does something to the picture..it makes it very
"wavy" and it's not a clean picture. In other words, it makes the
picture worse, while fixing the color.
I am going to call Sima tomorrow and try to get some help on this..
Thanks

"wildchild79" wrote ...
>I will try shifting some things around. Sometimes I see kind of a
> shadow on the screen when somebody moves there hand quickly...
> or when the credits roll i see a slight shadow coming up with the
> credits. Isn't this ghosting?

Technically, reflection of the video signal. Are you using reasonable
quality cables for video? I do NOT mean the ridiculously-expensive
"botique/snake-oil" Name-Brand cables. But using flimsy audio RCA
cables for video could possibly cause this.

> Also, when the screen goes black I can see a horizontal line rolling up
> on the screen (banding?).

Not "banding". Sounds like a hum-bar. Depending on whether you see
it with the video cable unplugged, it may be the power supply filtering in
your monitor going bad, or it could be caused by a ground loop between
equipment, or several other causes. There are several good web pages
devoted to shielding and grounding.

> And very rarely, I have seen 2 vertical lines stuck on the screen the
> whole time, which i was told is a result of macrovision.

So does it go away when you view non-Macrovision protected video?

> Is the quality better if you hook up the vcr to the computer and use
> the dvd burner???

Is that a question or a statement? If it is a question, you are likely the
only one who can answer it for your particular setup and equipment.

The Sima SCC ($99 at B&H) is the "poor man"'s TBC / PROC AMP. It
restores sync and color burst for rock solid copies. Chroma, RGB levels,
and more are adjustable. It has composite and S-video IO. Cool tool for
the price.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Question is, is the image problem only with this tape, or all tapes.
Does the monitor, deck or any other equipment have feedthru
or accessory terminations that need terminators?
Image degradation can be as simple (or complex I guess), as
improper impedance or terminations. Maybe it is a bad/cheap
cable. I was reading about the bar on black sign, and agree that
an unbalanced ground or AC hum from a power supply could
drift into this issue. But this would probably be much more
pronounced.
And it only happens with this one tape? Any source material?

BTW, I once had some banding appear when two monitors within
close proximity were interacting with each other...inductively speaking.
You're using just one monitor, right?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:11:14 +0100, Tim Mitchell
<timng@sabretechnology.co.uk> wrote:

>Integral TBC on a VHS player is only a single line at a time, which is
>good enough to correct wobbly verticals but will not rescue you from
>full-frame dropouts.

Nah, most TBC's in VHS machine are basically framestores these days,
they're so cheap to buy on a single chip.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

Easiest? JVC S-VHS deck with built-in TBC+DNR + S-Video output for even
higher quality output than a VHS deck -> RCA -> TBC box ->...

Easiest? JVC S-VHS deck with built-in TBC+DNR + S-Video output for even
higher quality output than a VHS deck -> RCA -> TBC box ->...

Have you actually _looked_ at the sync and burst on a waveform monitor and
vectorscope ?

I'll admit that I haven't, but I'd be willing to bet that they're not solid
at all. And that there's all kinds of high-frequency rolloff.

Steve

"Herrmann Scherchen Reichmann" <HSReich@atlanta.rr.com> wrote in message
> The Sima SCC ($99 at B&H) is the "poor man"'s TBC / PROC AMP. It
> restores sync and color burst for rock solid copies. Chroma, RGB levels,
> and more are adjustable. It has composite and S-video IO. Cool tool for
> the price.

Kaboom

On 9 Aug 2005 19:02:02 -0700, "wildchild79" <wilchild@optonline.net>
wrote:

<snip questions answered by others>

>Is the quality better if you hook up the vcr to the computer and use
>the dvd burner???

**Possibly as you can use various filters but it'll be a big,
time-consuming pain in the ass :)

kaboomie

I know am under the belief that my dvd recorder has nothing to do with
this. I hooked the vcr directly up to the television and even tried
using different cables and the "refelction" still exists. I then played
the tape in a different vcr, and i still noticed the shadow effect on
the credits, but to a much smaller extendt. I think all these tapes
that it is happening to, were originall recorded from a non-cable
source..and my HD monitor is just projecting it more.

The cables are good ones, I bought the best ones PC Richards had with
the gold tips.When I unplug the video cable, I do not see the
problem..or anything..I don't hear anything either for that matter.
This only occurs on blank tapes that contain tv shows...so I don't know
about the copy-protection.