OfficeJet 7410 All-in-One & 2003 Terminal Services - HELP

Greetings all.

SPECIFICATIONS: (host) Windows Server 2003 w/ Terminal Services, (client)
WindowsXP Pro SP2, (printer) HP OfficeJet 7410 All in One

SCENARIO: A Remote Desktop user with WinXP Pro SP2 with a locally installed
(USB) HP OfficeJet 7410 cannot print to his 7410 while connected to our
Windows Server 2003 via Terminal Services.

PROBLEM: Although the printer is installed correctly and can be printed to
locally, when connected via Remote Desktop / TS the printer does not appear
in his remote session. I was able to duplicate the problem and correct it on
my end but his computer is persistent in not displaying the printer while
remotely connected.

TROUBLESHOOTING: Connected and installed the OfficeJet 7410 directly to the
Terminal Server and confirmed a correct driver install; simulated problem by
connecting the 7410 to a laptop outside of our network and was able to
correctly display the 7410 in an RDC session - success; Problem still
persists on the user's end; Verified user had "Local Resources > Printers"
checked; Verified user was able to print locally.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. If I have missed
anything please let me know.

Eugenio

eugenefl <eugenefl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> SCENARIO: A Remote Desktop user with WinXP Pro SP2 with a locally
> installed (USB) HP OfficeJet 7410 cannot print to his 7410 while
> connected to our Windows Server 2003 via Terminal Services.

Check out:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361

Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Eugenio,

Were you able to fix this problem? I had a similar problem, the difference
was that the local printer is listed in the local machine, but printing to it
doesn't do a thing.

Any ideas?

Eduardo

"eugenefl" wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> SPECIFICATIONS: (host) Windows Server 2003 w/ Terminal Services, (client)
> WindowsXP Pro SP2, (printer) HP OfficeJet 7410 All in One
>
> SCENARIO: A Remote Desktop user with WinXP Pro SP2 with a locally installed
> (USB) HP OfficeJet 7410 cannot print to his 7410 while connected to our
> Windows Server 2003 via Terminal Services.
>
> PROBLEM: Although the printer is installed correctly and can be printed to
> locally, when connected via Remote Desktop / TS the printer does not appear
> in his remote session. I was able to duplicate the problem and correct it on
> my end but his computer is persistent in not displaying the printer while
> remotely connected.
>
> TROUBLESHOOTING: Connected and installed the OfficeJet 7410 directly to the
> Terminal Server and confirmed a correct driver install; simulated problem by
> connecting the 7410 to a laptop outside of our network and was able to
> correctly display the 7410 in an RDC session - success; Problem still
> persists on the user's end; Verified user had "Local Resources > Printers"
> checked; Verified user was able to print locally.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. If I have missed
> anything please let me know.
>
> Eugenio

Greetings Eduardo.

As old as this thread is you would think the problem was resolved. Actually,
I never received a clear cut answer nor was I able to continue
troubleshooting. The person I was trying to resolve this for lost contact
with us. A few months later (ie. today) I just received a phone call with the
same problem. So, I'm back to square one trying to troubleshoot the problem.

The only logical conclusion I come to is A) I will not recommend a TServices
user purchase an HP All in One, or B) MS needs to provide better
documentation to resolve this problem.

"Eduardo Pietri" wrote:

> Eugenio,
>
> Were you able to fix this problem? I had a similar problem, the difference
> was that the local printer is listed in the local machine, but printing to it
> doesn't do a thing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Eduardo
>
> "eugenefl" wrote:
>
> > Greetings all.
> >
> > SPECIFICATIONS: (host) Windows Server 2003 w/ Terminal Services, (client)
> > WindowsXP Pro SP2, (printer) HP OfficeJet 7410 All in One
> >
> > SCENARIO: A Remote Desktop user with WinXP Pro SP2 with a locally installed
> > (USB) HP OfficeJet 7410 cannot print to his 7410 while connected to our
> > Windows Server 2003 via Terminal Services.
> >
> > PROBLEM: Although the printer is installed correctly and can be printed to
> > locally, when connected via Remote Desktop / TS the printer does not appear
> > in his remote session. I was able to duplicate the problem and correct it on
> > my end but his computer is persistent in not displaying the printer while
> > remotely connected.
> >
> > TROUBLESHOOTING: Connected and installed the OfficeJet 7410 directly to the
> > Terminal Server and confirmed a correct driver install; simulated problem by
> > connecting the 7410 to a laptop outside of our network and was able to
> > correctly display the 7410 in an RDC session - success; Problem still
> > persists on the user's end; Verified user had "Local Resources > Printers"
> > checked; Verified user was able to print locally.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. If I have missed
> > anything please let me know.
> >
> > Eugenio

Eugene,

Surprise, surprise! I just fixed my problem yesterday by using a different
printer. As in your case we also had an All-In-One printer (mine was a Dell
922). I had tried everything but nothing worked. I was able to see it
listed and send to print, but the printer did not respond at all.

I switched to a regular HP Deskjet 970se and it worked right away.

My take is that RDC has some difficulty handling some of the AIO printer.

Good luck!

Eduardo

"eugenefl" wrote:

> Greetings Eduardo.
>
> As old as this thread is you would think the problem was resolved. Actually,
> I never received a clear cut answer nor was I able to continue
> troubleshooting. The person I was trying to resolve this for lost contact
> with us. A few months later (ie. today) I just received a phone call with the
> same problem. So, I'm back to square one trying to troubleshoot the problem.
>
> The only logical conclusion I come to is A) I will not recommend a TServices
> user purchase an HP All in One, or B) MS needs to provide better
> documentation to resolve this problem.
>

> "Eduardo Pietri" wrote:
>
> > Eugenio,
> >
> > Were you able to fix this problem? I had a similar problem, the difference
> > was that the local printer is listed in the local machine, but printing to it
> > doesn't do a thing.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Eduardo
> >
> > "eugenefl" wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings all.
> > >
> > > SPECIFICATIONS: (host) Windows Server 2003 w/ Terminal Services, (client)
> > > WindowsXP Pro SP2, (printer) HP OfficeJet 7410 All in One
> > >
> > > SCENARIO: A Remote Desktop user with WinXP Pro SP2 with a locally installed
> > > (USB) HP OfficeJet 7410 cannot print to his 7410 while connected to our
> > > Windows Server 2003 via Terminal Services.
> > >
> > > PROBLEM: Although the printer is installed correctly and can be printed to
> > > locally, when connected via Remote Desktop / TS the printer does not appear
> > > in his remote session. I was able to duplicate the problem and correct it on
> > > my end but his computer is persistent in not displaying the printer while
> > > remotely connected.
> > >
> > > TROUBLESHOOTING: Connected and installed the OfficeJet 7410 directly to the
> > > Terminal Server and confirmed a correct driver install; simulated problem by
> > > connecting the 7410 to a laptop outside of our network and was able to
> > > correctly display the 7410 in an RDC session - success; Problem still
> > > persists on the user's end; Verified user had "Local Resources > Printers"
> > > checked; Verified user was able to print locally.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. If I have missed
> > > anything please let me know.
> > >
> > > Eugenio

ive had consistent issues with terminal services [REMOTE DESKTOP] and
hp's wonderful "oh-so-easy" printer "install",,, anyways enough b!tchin
about cheap hardware... hp has actually released a slimmed down driver
(74mb) for the 7410xi
i havent had a chance to try it since at the time i was troubleshooting
it for the client there was no such driver, but i do believe it would
work.
===7410xi network/usb print driver only===
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=391202&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=oj-30589-1
===

give it a try, hope it helps
aloha,
themeONE

ewa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
For a 7410, how do I simply install this printer to my Win2k3 TS like I would any other Laserjet using an inf file? I have dl'd the corporate drivers package but am confused how to install. Have the same scenario as you with a user who has a 7410 connected locally via USB. Thanks.