MOV to MPG conversion on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want to convert QuickTime movies (.MOV) into a format that can be
downloaded from the web and played in Windows Media Player. Over the
weekend I purchased QuickTime Pro for the PC which does a nice job of
file size reduction from QT MOVie to QT MOVie, but it doesn't convert
to any MPEG formats. I've seen programs for the Mac that will do this
type of conversion, but haven't yet found anything for the PC. I need
something to a) create .MPG files, b) render into reduced file sizes,
and c) maintain the quality as much as possible (or at least offer
control over the various rendering options).

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
~ Lauren

ok, to answer my own question, here's what I found...

1) download "TMPGEnc" video converter (freeware). "One of the best MPEG
video encoders..."
http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

2) download the "TMPGEnc Mov Plugin" reader plug-in for TMPGEnc
(freeware)
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=TMPGEnc_Mov_Plugin

3) place the "QTReader.vfp" file into the same folder as TMPGEnc.exe

4) download the latest version of QuickTime player

5) execute TMPGEnc.exe

6) cancel the wizard that comes up

7) click "Browse" for "Video source" and choose the .MOV source file

8) click "Browse" for "Output file name" and type a file name

9) click "Start"

Lauren the Ravishing wrote:
> ok, to answer my own question, here's what I found...
>
> 1) download "TMPGEnc" video converter (freeware). "One of the best MPEG
> video encoders..."
> http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
>
> 2) download the "TMPGEnc Mov Plugin" reader plug-in for TMPGEnc
> (freeware)
> http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=TMPGEnc_Mov_Plugin
>
> 3) place the "QTReader.vfp" file into the same folder as TMPGEnc.exe
>
> 4) download the latest version of QuickTime player
>
> 5) execute TMPGEnc.exe
>
> 6) cancel the wizard that comes up
>
> 7) click "Browse" for "Video source" and choose the .MOV source file
>
> 8) click "Browse" for "Output file name" and type a file name
>
> 9) click "Start"

I was going to recommend TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress. It's not free, so you may
not be interested, but I've found it to be a reliable encoder. One
thing that I really like about it is you can set the target filesize,
and it will do its best to meet the requirement.

rs

Lauren the Ravishing wrote:
> I want to convert QuickTime movies (.MOV) into a format that can be
> downloaded from the web and played in Windows Media Player. Over the
> weekend I purchased QuickTime Pro for the PC which does a nice job of
> file size reduction from QT MOVie to QT MOVie, but it doesn't convert
> to any MPEG formats. I've seen programs for the Mac that will do this
> type of conversion, but haven't yet found anything for the PC. I need
> something to a) create .MPG files, b) render into reduced file sizes,
> and c) maintain the quality as much as possible (or at least offer
> control over the various rendering options).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
> ~ Lauren

Cinemacraft Encoder will accept QT input. It is also one of the best
encoders availalible.

TMPGEnc with QTReader.vfp doesn't appear to work. I downloaded the
latest Quicktime (version 7). Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I followed the steps listed previously in this thread. TMPGEnc can load
in the quicktime movie without prompting an error, but the rendered
video has no sound and is all black. And, TMPGEnc shows black for each
of the frames as it processes. The quicktime movie was originally
rendered on a Mac. Not sure what QT version though.

Another step to add to the process:

4b) go to options > environmental settings > VFAPI plug-in tab and make
QTReader the top priority.