I have a laptop and desktop connected to the internet via a router at my
home. I can connect to the desktop using remote desktop from my work however
the laptop has the same external ip as the desktop and i can't connect to it.
Is there a way that I can have 2 separate ip's for my laptop and desktop? I
tried resolving the internal ips for each using no-ip.com however it does not
work. Any ideas?

Sure... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one port to reach any of the PCs,
or by port forwarding/port redirection, which means you open multiple ports (one for each PC)...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Personally I use the SSH method...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop and desktop connected to the internet via a router at my
> home. I can connect to the desktop using remote desktop from my work however
> the laptop has the same external ip as the desktop and i can't connect to it.
> Is there a way that I can have 2 separate ip's for my laptop and desktop? I
> tried resolving the internal ips for each using no-ip.com however it does not
> work. Any ideas?

I tried setting up the SSH tunnel and as a test i used my desktop as the
remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! Now I have another
question, do I have to download PuTTY and OpenSSH on my work computer? There
might have restrictions at the office so that might be a problem.

Is there an alternative to port redirection? That does not seem to work.

Thanks!

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Sure... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one port to reach any of the PCs,
> or by port forwarding/port redirection, which means you open multiple ports (one for each PC)...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>
> Personally I use the SSH method...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop and desktop connected to the internet via a router at my
> > home. I can connect to the desktop using remote desktop from my work however
> > the laptop has the same external ip as the desktop and i can't connect to it.
> > Is there a way that I can have 2 separate ip's for my laptop and desktop? I
> > tried resolving the internal ips for each using no-ip.com however it does not
> > work. Any ideas?

You would only need to install PuTTY and the RDP client on the office/work PC in order to connect
through the SSH tunnel. If the office/work PC is an XP Pro or XP Home box, then the RDP client is
built-in. In any case you really need to contact your office/work network administrators to see if
connecting to your home PC (an untrusted host) from work would violate any company policies. If it
does not, then they probably will be of help getting PuTTY installed.

As far as port redirection is concerned, the alternative is port forwarding as illustrated, or the
SSH/VPN tunnels...

--

>I tried setting up the SSH tunnel and as a test i used my desktop as the
> remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! Now I have another
> question, do I have to download PuTTY and OpenSSH on my work computer? There
> might have restrictions at the office so that might be a problem.
>
> Is there an alternative to port redirection? That does not seem to work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Sure... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one port to reach any of the
>> PCs,
>> or by port forwarding/port redirection, which means you open multiple ports (one for each PC)...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>>
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>>
>> Personally I use the SSH method...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a laptop and desktop connected to the internet via a router at my
>> > home. I can connect to the desktop using remote desktop from my work however
>> > the laptop has the same external ip as the desktop and i can't connect to it.
>> > Is there a way that I can have 2 separate ip's for my laptop and desktop? I
>> > tried resolving the internal ips for each using no-ip.com however it does not
>> > work. Any ideas?

openSSH or some ssh server will have to be running on his work pc, will it
not?
then run putty or some other ssh client at the remote...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.. it seems you're saying that he won't need an
SSH server running at the office because the RDC client is already
there............but that's not right is it? The RDC client won't establish
a tunnel.......?
I'm no SSH/RDC expert, I'm asking ... ;)
nor will the RDC client connect with an SSH server.. will it?

> You would only need to install PuTTY and the RDP client on the office/work
> PC in order to connect through the SSH tunnel. If the office/work PC is an
> XP Pro or XP Home box, then the RDP client is built-in. In any case you
> really need to contact your office/work network administrators to see if
> connecting to your home PC (an untrusted host) from work would violate any
> company policies. If it does not, then they probably will be of help
> getting PuTTY installed.
>
> As far as port redirection is concerned, the alternative is port
> forwarding as illustrated, or the SSH/VPN tunnels...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:5F9855BC-D556-4FC2-804E-3CC91DD1FEC8@microsoft.com...
>>I tried setting up the SSH tunnel and as a test i used my desktop as the
>> remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! Now I have another
>> question, do I have to download PuTTY and OpenSSH on my work computer?
>> There
>> might have restrictions at the office so that might be a problem.
>>
>> Is there an alternative to port redirection? That does not seem to work.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Sure... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one
>>> port to reach any of the PCs,
>>> or by port forwarding/port redirection, which means you open multiple
>>> ports (one for each PC)...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>>>
>>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>>>
>>> Personally I use the SSH method...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>

>>> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>> wrote in message

Thank you. I will try your suggestion as soon as I can.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> You would only need to install PuTTY and the RDP client on the office/work PC in order to connect
> through the SSH tunnel. If the office/work PC is an XP Pro or XP Home box, then the RDP client is
> built-in. In any case you really need to contact your office/work network administrators to see if
> connecting to your home PC (an untrusted host) from work would violate any company policies. If it
> does not, then they probably will be of help getting PuTTY installed.
>
> As far as port redirection is concerned, the alternative is port forwarding as illustrated, or the
> SSH/VPN tunnels...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried setting up the SSH tunnel and as a test i used my desktop as the
> > remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! Now I have another
> > question, do I have to download PuTTY and OpenSSH on my work computer? There
> > might have restrictions at the office so that might be a problem.
> >
> > Is there an alternative to port redirection? That does not seem to work.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Sure... Either via a SSH or VPN tunnel, which means you only open one port to reach any of the
> >> PCs,
> >> or by port forwarding/port redirection, which means you open multiple ports (one for each PC)...
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
> >>
> >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
> >>
> >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
> >>
> >> Personally I use the SSH method...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>

> >> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

No, the original poster was wanting to access his *home* PCs, so the SSH server needs to be
installed on one of the home boxes, *IF* he chooses to use the SSH tunnel method.

--

"markus" <mark@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23qW2HOgbFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> openSSH or some ssh server will have to be running on his work pc, will it not?
> then run putty or some other ssh client at the remote...
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding.. it seems you're saying that he won't need an SSH server running at
> the office because the RDC client is already there............but that's not right is it? The RDC
> client won't establish a tunnel.......?
> I'm no SSH/RDC expert, I'm asking ... ;)
> nor will the RDC client connect with an SSH server.. will it?
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> You would only need to install PuTTY and the RDP client on the office/work PC in order to connect
>> through the SSH tunnel. If the office/work PC is an XP Pro or XP Home box, then the RDP client is
>> built-in. In any case you really need to contact your office/work network administrators to see
>> if connecting to your home PC (an untrusted host) from work would violate any company policies.
>> If it does not, then they probably will be of help getting PuTTY installed.
>>
>> As far as port redirection is concerned, the alternative is port forwarding as illustrated, or
>> the SSH/VPN tunnels...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I tried setting up the SSH tunnel and as a test i used my desktop as the
>>> remote client and my laptop as my host and it worked! Now I have another
>>> question, do I have to download PuTTY and OpenSSH on my work computer? There
>>> might have restrictions at the office so that might be a problem.
>>>
>>> Is there an alternative to port redirection? That does not seem to work.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

This is a followup to the use of SSH tunnel at work. I log into PuTTY and
with it open I try running remote desktop connection following the
instructions on the website you provided. I was able to log in on some
machines but other machines gave me this error: "The client could not
connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer. A new
console session can not be started."

I figured I got this message because I logged in using PuTTY. However, from
the instructions I gather that I can connect using remote desktop also. Do
you know why this error pops up?

Thanks

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> No, the original poster was wanting to access his *home* PCs, so the SSH server needs to be
> installed on one of the home boxes, *IF* he chooses to use the SSH tunnel method.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "markus" <mark@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23qW2HOgbFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > openSSH or some ssh server will have to be running on his work pc, will it not?
> > then run putty or some other ssh client at the remote...
> >
> > Maybe I'm misunderstanding.. it seems you're saying that he won't need an SSH server running at
> > the office because the RDC client is already there............but that's not right is it? The RDC
> > client won't establish a tunnel.......?
> > I'm no SSH/RDC expert, I'm asking ... ;)
> > nor will the RDC client connect with an SSH server.. will it?
> >
> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> You would only need to install PuTTY and the RDP client on the office/work PC in order to connect
> >> through the SSH tunnel. If the office/work PC is an XP Pro or XP Home box, then the RDP client is
> >> built-in. In any case you really need to contact your office/work network administrators to see
> >> if connecting to your home PC (an untrusted host) from work would violate any company policies.
> >> If it does not, then they probably will be of help getting PuTTY installed.
> >>
> >> As far as port redirection is concerned, the alternative is port forwarding as illustrated, or
> >> the SSH/VPN tunnels...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>

> >> "Wenham Dorsett Jr." <Wenham Dorsett Jr.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi-
You may want to try using WiSSH to make this connection. WiSSH gets
around the error you are getting. Take a look at http://www.wissh.com
and see if it is what you are looking for.

Chad