Remote desktop stop working, was working before

Hello,

Remote desktop on the XP Pro I have stopped working all of sudden.

* The Terminal Services service is started.

* No errors in the event viewer

* The two Remote Access checkboxes are checked in
the Remote Tab of the System Control Panel

* RDP-Tcp "Port Number" in the registry is set to 3389

* fDenyTSConnections in the registry is set to 0

* TSEnabled in the registry is set to 1

Any help would be appreciated?

i'm stumped for a solution.
10 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop stop working working before

    See this page for troubleshooting help...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    <kpoon.ca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118435787.768619.320920@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Remote desktop on the XP Pro I have stopped working all of sudden.
    >
    > * The Terminal Services service is started.
    >

    > * No errors in the event viewer
    >

    > * The two Remote Access checkboxes are checked in
    > the Remote Tab of the System Control Panel
    >

    > * RDP-Tcp "Port Number" in the registry is set to 3389
    >

    > * fDenyTSConnections in the registry is set to 0
    >

    > * TSEnabled in the registry is set to 1
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated?
    >

    > i'm stumped for a solution.

    Thanks for your reply, however, I've already checked everything and it
    looks normal. I don't know what else to do.

    I've also check local policy, all looks fine. Any other suggestion
    would be appreciated.

    kpoon.ca@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply, however, I've already checked everything and it
    > looks normal. I don't know what else to do.

    When did this happen? Meaning did you recently install any personal firewall software or an
    anti-virus/trojan/worm protection software package? Some folks report NAV 2005 worm protection kills
    Remote Desktop connections.

    --

    <kpoon.ca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118694413.445234.313880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > I've also check local policy, all looks fine. Any other suggestion
    > would be appreciated.
    >

    > kpoon.ca@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Thanks for your reply, however, I've already checked everything and it
    >> looks normal. I don't know what else to do.

    It started about 3 weeks ago. It has always had Norton Corp 8 in the
    system since 2 years ago. It also had Spybot and Lavasoft Adware on it
    while RDP was still working. I uninstalled them just to make sure. No
    other software has been installed. No firewall, windows firewall
    disabled. I've reinstall SP2, double checked all windows update.

    The only thing I can think of is that if memory serves me correctly, it
    started to happen after I ghosted the harddrive to my new computer if
    it makes any sense.

    I've also compared registry (RDP related) with another working system,
    dll file version, etc.

    Still no luck, it disconnects right away, doesn't even get as far for
    username and password, therefore no error event log.

    I've tried #1, no luck.

    We've recently enabled a Windows 2003 Terminal Licensing Server, would
    it have any impact on my XP computer? Just curious.

    You might try...

    1. Re-registering Remote Desktop using the command line that follows...Reboot the PC after doing
    this...

    regsvr32 remotepg.dll

    2. Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.

    NOTE the warnings on the page...
    --

    <kpoon.ca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118758281.951198.154420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > It started about 3 weeks ago. It has always had Norton Corp 8 in the
    > system since 2 years ago. It also had Spybot and Lavasoft Adware on it
    > while RDP was still working. I uninstalled them just to make sure. No
    > other software has been installed. No firewall, windows firewall
    > disabled. I've reinstall SP2, double checked all windows update.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that if memory serves me correctly, it
    > started to happen after I ghosted the harddrive to my new computer if
    > it makes any sense.
    >
    > I've also compared registry (RDP related) with another working system,
    > dll file version, etc.
    >
    > Still no luck, it disconnects right away, doesn't even get as far for
    > username and password, therefore no error event log.

    Well, now your out of my area when you start talking W2003 Terminal Server and licensing issues... I
    suggest you ask about that on this news group...

    microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services

    --

    "Ken" <kpoon.ca@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've tried #1, no luck.
    >
    > We've recently enabled a Windows 2003 Terminal Licensing Server, would
    > it have any impact on my XP computer? Just curious.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Thanks Sooner Al,

    I actually disabled W2003 licencing on the network, my pc still doesn't
    work. Any other PC on the network doesn't have this problem. Anyhow I
    think i'm going to give up. If you have any other idea, please let me
    know.
    I'll try a repair install to see if it helps. Thanks again.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    could this also be the problem with Symantec client services v3.01? i've been
    using it for about 2 weeks now, and yesterday was the first time i was out of
    town again and as such, forced to remote desktop in.. which of course didn't
    work.. i get the login screen, i login properly, only then the video hook
    driver seems to be dead/get killed instantly. i can't currently access the
    workspace locally and as such have no way of testing this to be true.. but it
    seems mighty annoying if it were the case (and symantec would have to be
    informed of it as well, i guess)

    thanks in advance

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > When did this happen? Meaning did you recently install any personal firewall software or an
    > anti-virus/trojan/worm protection software package? Some folks report NAV 2005 worm protection kills
    > Remote Desktop connections.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > <kpoon.ca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118694413.445234.313880@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > > I've also check local policy, all looks fine. Any other suggestion
    > > would be appreciated.
    > >

    > > kpoon.ca@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> Thanks for your reply, however, I've already checked everything and it
    > >> looks normal. I don't know what else to do.

Remote Desktop Registry Windows XP