Newby music, live venue promotional video shoot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2005 6:13:17 PM

Hello all,

I'm a monster newb of the newbiest degree.

I'm trying to shoot a music promotional video (of myself) largely by
myself. I can't afford to do it with professionals, but I'm willing to
spend the time and sweat to make it look as professional as I can. I
want the video to convey multiple live performances, so my plan is to
film myself at various open mic venues. Within these venues, I'll be
multi-track recording the audio (I just bought some killer equipment,
so hopefully I can use it to its full potential) and I want to use two
cameras. Bear in mind, they'll be poor quality, run of the mill dv
cameras (think Canon zr200's or something -- I'll have to borrow
whatever cameras I'm going to use, by the way). With these limitations
in mind, I'll start with the questions:

I plan on using one camera for wider shots, the other for close-ups
(mostly facial). What sort of shots / angles should I be taking? The
live concert dvds I've seen have crazy sweeping, crane driven shots and
behind the stage angles and what not. Given my complete lack of
experience (and the lack of experience of whatever poor schmoes I rope
into working the cameras) but not forgetting that I want it to look
professional (therefore, "interesting"), what should my approach be?
Should I use tripods on both cameras, or keep one free to switch
locations and angles throughout a song?

How can I account for the low lighting I'll most likely run into at
these venues? Getting shots of the audience is not very important to
me, so everything will be focused toward the stage, which will probably
have some form of lighting.

On these basic dv cameras, should I turn Auto focus off? Any other
settings I should worry about, besides taking off the lens cap (I've
heard that's important... ;) ?

As far as editing, what sort of transitions should I use, if any at
all? It is my newb instinct to load it with silly rotating 3d cubes
and lucas wipes, but I'll listen to you guys :)  I've read I should
edit on the beat and divide up lyrical lines or important sub sections
-- that sounds like good advice to me. Should I use cross-fades? Bear
in mind, I'll be cutting between different venues and songs.

Since I'll be using 2 different, borrowed cameras, the pictures will
look slightly different, any tips you can offer on making them look
more similar (I'll be using Premiere 7.0 for post)?

Any answers are greatly appreciated, and if you think of any other
pointers you can give me, please share them as well. Thanks for
reading,

-john
www.johnnymarnell.com
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:32:39 PM

If you are doing a promo video to show potential clients or agents I
would avoid the very fragmented presentations (lots of cuts / effects
etc.)

Cutting from wide angle to a closer view works well especially if you
pick the right section of the music.

I would probably fade out one song and fade in to a display card giving
location and song title.

You might need to color balance between cameras. I would leave
everything on automatic. A camera operator on a handheld for closeups
will let them move around and get some more interesting angles.

You can add crowd shots from a different performance as long as the
beat is fairly close.
!