Panasonic GS19 frame rate

Hi

I have just purchased a Panasonic GS19 camcorder and am very pleased
with it but for one issue which I can't work out. I hope someone can
help.

The camcorder records at 30 fps and yet when I playback a recording one
frame at a time, there are two images for each frame. This then
becomes very apparent when I convert the miniDV format to the PC.

I partiularly notice this on a video of my golf swing (my main reason
for buying the camcorder in the first place). When I replay the golf
swing it appears as though I am swinging two golf clubs. I'd really
appreciate some advice?

Thanks

John

"johnnic1948" <johnnic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have just purchased a Panasonic GS19 camcorder and am very pleased
> with it but for one issue which I can't work out. I hope someone can
> help.
>
> The camcorder records at 30 fps and yet when I playback a recording one
> frame at a time, there are two images for each frame. This then
> becomes very apparent when I convert the miniDV format to the PC.
>
> I partiularly notice this on a video of my golf swing (my main reason
> for buying the camcorder in the first place). When I replay the golf
> swing it appears as though I am swinging two golf clubs. I'd really
> appreciate some advice?

A Frame of video = 2 fields of video taken 1/60th of a second apart.
If something is moving when the frame is being captured, then you will
see what appears to be a double image. This is called interlace.

A few (very few) cameras have the ability to record progressive frames
instead of interlaced frames. Video is always interlaced, but a camera
that has a "progressive" will grab both fields at the same time. This would
give you better stills to study, but it won't look as good when you are
playing it at the normal speed.

David

David

Thanks for your reply. I have since discovered that with Windows Movie
Maker, I can set the transfer to DV(avi) which produces HUGE files but
does seem to fix the problem. I still don't understand exactly why but
it does appear to be working, albeit with its own downside.

Thanks again.

John