Wireless Connection dropping every 15 minutes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 3:07:02 PM

I have a home wireless network and I am running a desktop and a laptop on it.
Everything was great when I first set it up in August however recently it
has been dropping the connection every 15 mins. Although the signal still
shows at 100% on both laptop and desktop I am unable to access the internet
or wireless lan. I am using a British Telecom (BT) Voyager 2000 ADSL
wireless route, a BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter on the desktop and a Ralink
RT2500 Wireless LAN Card on the laptop. I have tried re-installing drivers,
resetting and rebooting pc, laptop and router. I have changed WEP security
settings, passcodes and SSID settings. As this is happening on both my PC
and laptop I suspect it is either a problem with a MS Update or my security
settings - Does anyone have any solution to this problem.
--
Duncs
Anonymous

Explained here:

Carey

"Duncs" <Duncs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 1C2F634-C671-462E-9B01-AACEC0E915A0@microsoft.com...
>I have a home wireless network and I am running a desktop and a laptop on
>it.
> Everything was great when I first set it up in August however recently it
> has been dropping the connection every 15 mins. Although the signal still
> shows at 100% on both laptop and desktop I am unable to access the
> internet
> or wireless lan. I am using a British Telecom (BT) Voyager 2000 ADSL
> wireless route, a BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter on the desktop and a Ralink
> RT2500 Wireless LAN Card on the laptop. I have tried re-installing
> drivers,
> resetting and rebooting pc, laptop and router. I have changed WEP
> security
> settings, passcodes and SSID settings. As this is happening on both my PC
> and laptop I suspect it is either a problem with a MS Update or my
> security
> settings - Does anyone have any solution to this problem.
> --
> Duncs
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 2:47:01 PM

Thank you for the help Carey - it works well. Does seem a long winded way of
doing it though - Is this a problem MS are going to resolve does anyone know.
Or is there a software fix for it.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Explained here:
>
> Carey
>
> "Duncs" <Duncs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1C2F634-C671-462E-9B01-AACEC0E915A0@microsoft.com...
> >I have a home wireless network and I am running a desktop and a laptop on
> >it.
> > Everything was great when I first set it up in August however recently it
> > has been dropping the connection every 15 mins. Although the signal still
> > shows at 100% on both laptop and desktop I am unable to access the
> > internet
> > or wireless lan. I am using a British Telecom (BT) Voyager 2000 ADSL
> > wireless route, a BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter on the desktop and a Ralink
> > RT2500 Wireless LAN Card on the laptop. I have tried re-installing
> > drivers,
> > resetting and rebooting pc, laptop and router. I have changed WEP
> > security
> > settings, passcodes and SSID settings. As this is happening on both my PC
> > and laptop I suspect it is either a problem with a MS Update or my
> > security
> > settings - Does anyone have any solution to this problem.
> > --
> > Duncs

a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 4:57:50 AM

Good question!

I'd love to see an official answer from Microsoft...

> Thank you for the help Carey - it works well. Does seem a long winded way
> of
> doing it though - Is this a problem MS are going to resolve does anyone
> know.
> Or is there a software fix for it.
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> Explained here:
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Duncs" <Duncs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 1C2F634-C671-462E-9B01-AACEC0E915A0@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a home wireless network and I am running a desktop and a laptop
>> >on
>> >it.
>> > Everything was great when I first set it up in August however recently
>> > it
>> > has been dropping the connection every 15 mins. Although the signal
>> > still
>> > shows at 100% on both laptop and desktop I am unable to access the
>> > internet
>> > or wireless lan. I am using a British Telecom (BT) Voyager 2000 ADSL
>> > wireless route, a BT Voyager 1010 USB Adapter on the desktop and a
>> > Ralink
>> > RT2500 Wireless LAN Card on the laptop. I have tried re-installing
>> > drivers,
>> > resetting and rebooting pc, laptop and router. I have changed WEP
>> > security
>> > settings, passcodes and SSID settings. As this is happening on both my
>> > PC
>> > and laptop I suspect it is either a problem with a MS Update or my
>> > security
>> > settings - Does anyone have any solution to this problem.
>> > --
>> > Duncs

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 3:02:01 PM

i had a problem similar to yours. i have a pc upstairs, downstairs and a
laptop, all are wireless. modem and router are upstairs. after installing
sp-2 on all computers my wireless network seemed to go on the fritz. bought
new modem, router and wirelss card for laptop. still had problems. then a
friend asked if i had cordless phones and you know what i do. I had one
before, but bought 2 line cordless for my office upstairs and extra handsets
for first floor. had problems after buying the 2nd set of phones. they
transmit on same freq. as the wireless does. it interferes with connections
and i get dropped. I moved router closer to laptop and now rarely get
dropped. hope this helps.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Good question!
>
> I'd love to see an official answer from Microsoft...
>
> "Duncs" <Duncs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the help Carey - it works well. Does seem a long winded way
> > of
> > doing it though - Is this a problem MS are going to resolve does anyone
> > know.
> > Or is there a software fix for it.
> >
> > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
> >
> >> Explained here:
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1568517,00.asp
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>
> >> "Duncs" <Duncs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 1C2F634-C671-462E-9B01-AACEC0E915A0@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 20, 2004 4:31:03 AM

Thank you for that - I have wireless phones too and this problem did start
just after I got them!

!