Remote desktop, have tried EVERYTHING

June 12, 2005 4:05:07 PM

I am trying to connect to my pc at home which is linked to a pc with a
linksys router and a d-link broadband modem (aparently the linksys one
was because we used to have a wireless network) i am able to use remote
assistance on the main pc gaining control over the pc i wish to control.
i used the normal ip of 192.168.1.101 but connecting outside the network
i use the ip address on www.whatsmyip.org but is this the right ip
address seems as the pc im connecting to is behind a router? heard it
could be my isp's ip address? if not the right one how do i find the
correct one?

i have enabled port forwarding for 3389 TCP to 192.168.1.101 on the
linksys router as this is what shows on ipconfig on the pc i wish to
connect to.

remote connections enabled within windows and upnp is enabled (gateway
showing in network connections)

i know the external pc im using is set up to connect via remote desktop
as others use it. i cant think of anything else.

Things im thinking of trying (please advise whether worth it)

ditching the wireless router and connecting both pcs direct through the
d-link broadband modem (if it has more than one slot?) (would i still
have to open ports on modem?)

finding the ip address of the broadband modem using ipconfig /all
(should be correct ip for pc as not behind router??)

Any help on the above would be really appreciated, have i missed
anything? surely its just the router causing the probs so hoping
ditching it will enable me to connect, likely?

also one other thing, i seem to have slow download rates even though im
on broadband, will removing the above router help speed things up as i
expected to happen when upnp was enabled?

Many Thanks in advance

--
LiquidshokkPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

More about : remote desktop

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:05:08 PM

See this page for troubleshooting help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!