Remote desktop, have tried EVERYTHING

I am trying to connect to my pc at home which is linked to a pc with a
linksys router and a d-link broadband modem (aparently the linksys one
was because we used to have a wireless network) i am able to use remote
assistance on the main pc gaining control over the pc i wish to control.
i used the normal ip of 192.168.1.101 but connecting outside the network
i use the ip address on www.whatsmyip.org but is this the right ip
address seems as the pc im connecting to is behind a router? heard it
could be my isp's ip address? if not the right one how do i find the
correct one?

i have enabled port forwarding for 3389 TCP to 192.168.1.101 on the
linksys router as this is what shows on ipconfig on the pc i wish to
connect to.

remote connections enabled within windows and upnp is enabled (gateway
showing in network connections)

i know the external pc im using is set up to connect via remote desktop
as others use it. i cant think of anything else.

Things im thinking of trying (please advise whether worth it)

ditching the wireless router and connecting both pcs direct through the
d-link broadband modem (if it has more than one slot?) (would i still
have to open ports on modem?)

finding the ip address of the broadband modem using ipconfig /all
(should be correct ip for pc as not behind router??)

Any help on the above would be really appreciated, have i missed
anything? surely its just the router causing the probs so hoping
ditching it will enable me to connect, likely?

also one other thing, i seem to have slow download rates even though im
on broadband, will removing the above router help speed things up as i
expected to happen when upnp was enabled?

Many Thanks in advance

--
LiquidshokkPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
1 answer Last reply

    See this page for troubleshooting help...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Liquidshokk" <Liquidshokk.1qifua@> wrote in message news:J5ednZRvQ5lzizHfRVn_vg@giganews.com...

    > I am trying to connect to my pc at home which is linked to a pc with a
    > linksys router and a d-link broadband modem (aparently the linksys one
    > was because we used to have a wireless network) i am able to use remote
    > assistance on the main pc gaining control over the pc i wish to control.
    > i used the normal ip of 192.168.1.101 but connecting outside the network
    > i use the ip address on www.whatsmyip.org but is this the right ip
    > address seems as the pc im connecting to is behind a router? heard it
    > could be my isp's ip address? if not the right one how do i find the
    > correct one?
    >
    > i have enabled port forwarding for 3389 TCP to 192.168.1.101 on the
    > linksys router as this is what shows on ipconfig on the pc i wish to
    > connect to.
    >
    > remote connections enabled within windows and upnp is enabled (gateway
    > showing in network connections)
    >
    > i know the external pc im using is set up to connect via remote desktop
    > as others use it. i cant think of anything else.
    >
    > Things im thinking of trying (please advise whether worth it)
    >
    > ditching the wireless router and connecting both pcs direct through the
    > d-link broadband modem (if it has more than one slot?) (would i still
    > have to open ports on modem?)
    >
    > finding the ip address of the broadband modem using ipconfig /all
    > (should be correct ip for pc as not behind router??)
    >
    > Any help on the above would be really appreciated, have i missed
    > anything? surely its just the router causing the probs so hoping
    > ditching it will enable me to connect, likely?
    >
    > also one other thing, i seem to have slow download rates even though im
    > on broadband, will removing the above router help speed things up as i
    > expected to happen when upnp was enabled?
    >
    > Many Thanks in advance
    >

    > --
    > LiquidshokkPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Windows XP