How do I set up RD without XP SP2 installation cd?

I have Windows XP Pro sp1 install cd and I upgraded to SP2 via windows update.
I want to setup Remote Desktop ability but during the install windows asks
for the Windows XP Pro SP2 cd. It will not accept the SP1 disc. I even
ordered the SP2 upgrade disk and that doesn't work either.

I want to access my home pc through the web. I have a Netgear FVS318 router
with a Linksys wireless router added on(using as switch and wireless access
point).

I searched this forum for a similar issuse but I have been unsucessful in
finding a solution. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
Dan

Well, Remote Desktop is preinstalled on XP Pro so there is no need to install. You only need to
enable Remote Desktop if you want to access that PC from a remote site...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_huxe.asp

....or go to "Start | All Programs | Accessories | Communications" and click on "Remote Desktop" if
you want to call a remote PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_oxqt.asp

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Dan Caton" <DanCaton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Pro sp1 install cd and I upgraded to SP2 via windows update.
> I want to setup Remote Desktop ability but during the install windows asks
> for the Windows XP Pro SP2 cd. It will not accept the SP1 disc. I even
> ordered the SP2 upgrade disk and that doesn't work either.
>
> I want to access my home pc through the web. I have a Netgear FVS318 router
> with a Linksys wireless router added on(using as switch and wireless access
> point).
>
> I searched this forum for a similar issuse but I have been unsucessful in
> finding a solution. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
> Dan

Then why was I prompted to insert a disk after I was setting up Web Remote
Desktop? It was like it needed additional files not present from the
original install.
I will follow through the links to attempt to set this up. What about
security? There are no security options for remote desktop? I guess I
don't understand the whole process.
Dan

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Well, Remote Desktop is preinstalled on XP Pro so there is no need to install. You only need to
> enable Remote Desktop if you want to access that PC from a remote site...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_huxe.asp
>
> ....or go to "Start | All Programs | Accessories | Communications" and click on "Remote Desktop" if
> you want to call a remote PC.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_oxqt.asp
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Dan Caton" <DanCaton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows XP Pro sp1 install cd and I upgraded to SP2 via windows update.
> > I want to setup Remote Desktop ability but during the install windows asks
> > for the Windows XP Pro SP2 cd. It will not accept the SP1 disc. I even
> > ordered the SP2 upgrade disk and that doesn't work either.
> >
> > I want to access my home pc through the web. I have a Netgear FVS318 router
> > with a Linksys wireless router added on(using as switch and wireless access
> > point).
> >
> > I searched this forum for a similar issuse but I have been unsucessful in
> > finding a solution. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
> > Dan

Remote Desktop is natively encrypted.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/remote_desktop_protocol.asp

Some users, like myself, run Remote Desktop through VPN or SSH tunnels for added security and ease
of use reaching additional RD sessions behind a firewall.