DVD ripping advice (not illegal copying!)

I have a friend giving a presentation for a local Chamber of Commerce who
asked me to get a couple clips off a DVD to use in the presentation.

As it stands now, I can copy the DVD using my DVStorm, but I want to do a
straight rip from the DVD drive. The problem is that all the freeware
programs I've tried either don't work or don't copy into an AVI or MPG
format (as they claim to do).

I've downloaded a bunch of demos and have even paid for one program - and
none of them seem to do what I need, which is to rip the video into a single
AVI or other video format file.

For the record, I've tried Easy DVD Clone, DVD-to-Mpeg, WinAVI, DVDFab,
ImTOO, Divx DVD Ripper, and Magic DVD Ripper. All of these give me a clone
(the IFO & other files) but not a simple AVI, which is what I want.

Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about ripping advice illegal copying

    In .vob files change extension to .mpg and you will have what you need.

    Ulead Video Toolbox works well for me. You can download a free trial at
    www.Ulead.com.

    "Dale7" <dalemary7nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Ulead Video Toolbox works well for me. You can download a free trial at
    > www.Ulead.com.

    I see nothing in the specs about importing DVD structures such as DVD vob
    ifo etc. stored on hard disc!

    peter wrote:
    > In .vob files change extension to .mpg and you will have what you need.

    Just a small expansion on this.

    DVD Shrink will allow you to rip stuff from a DVD with these added benefits:

    1) Regional coding and macrovision protection can be dropped.

    2) You can select a start and end point for the rip if you
    only need an excerpt.

    3) You can select which audio streams are to be copied so
    that when you are playing the VOB as an MPG, your MPG
    player won't get confused about what audio to use.

    Intervideo DVDCOPY 3 does the job - it has an option to create a DivX
    AVI of the entire DVD. You can even include subtitles. I've tested it
    only enough to be able to say that it works and, under casual analysis,
    produced good quality.

    I can't recall with certainty, but I think the installation includes
    the required DivX components. Don't hold me to this.

    If your DVD is protected, you will need something like ANYDVD or DVD43
    to bypass.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:39:14 -0700, "Tony" <nobody@nowhere.not> wrote:

    >I have a friend giving a presentation for a local Chamber of Commerce who
    >asked me to get a couple clips off a DVD to use in the presentation.
    >
    >As it stands now, I can copy the DVD using my DVStorm, but I want to do a
    >straight rip from the DVD drive. The problem is that all the freeware
    >programs I've tried either don't work or don't copy into an AVI or MPG
    >format (as they claim to do).

    Easiest way I can think of is to get TMPGenc MPEG editor. You
    can use a DVD as a source and simply rip the MPEG right out of it into
    its own file. Another way would be to get VirtualdubMod, which can
    read .vob files directly, and then output them as AVIs.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    "peter" <pet.tra@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > In .vob files change extension to .mpg and you will have what you need.

    Arrgh - it's really that simple?!?!

    thanx

    Thanks everyone for the recommendations - I'll be looking them over!

    "Tony" <nobody@nowhere.not> wrote in message
    > "peter" <pet.tra@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> In .vob files change extension to .mpg and you will have what you need.
    >>

    > Arrgh - it's really that simple?!?!
    >
    > thanx

    It is that simple...and it might not be. The vob files are 1 gig each. If
    any title happens to span vob files this technique will not work.

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

    > "Dale7" <dalemary7nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ulead Video Toolbox works well for me. You can download a free trial at
    >> www.Ulead.com.
    >
    > I see nothing in the specs about importing DVD structures such as DVD vob
    > ifo etc. stored on hard disc!

    The poster to whom I was replying (the original poster) asked about "DVD
    ripping advice."
    However, the application will also convert "DVD structures stored on hard
    disc"!!

    #1 DVD Ripper - quick, easy, not too much $:
    http://www.dvdtox.com/

    I went thru a lot of programs trying to find one to convert vob files
    from the DVD to mpg files, to import into Studio 9. I finally got Studio 9
    to properly import them directly from the DVD, so I don't need to convert
    the files (they're DVDs I've copied old VHS tapes onto, to preserve home
    movies). However, I learned several valuable lessons from the Studio 9
    forums. Changing the suffix from "vob" to "mpg" is okay if you're not
    concerned about sychronization of audio and video, but if you have close up
    of people talking, etc., you may lose the synch. There is a command that
    can be used in the "Command Prompt" window which will work very nicely. The
    command, "mencoder" apparently used to be included with mplayer, but was not
    included with the version of mplayer2.exe which I had, so I had to loacate
    it on the web (not difficult). Use the command: mencoder
    D:\\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB -o c:\ripped.mpg -of mpeg -ovc copy -oac
    lavc -lavcopts acodec-mp2, where your file is on your DVD and you want to
    save it to the file "ripped.mpg."
    This is not original with me, but I found it on the Pinnaclesys.com
    forums.

    >I have a friend giving a presentation for a local Chamber of Commerce who
    >asked me to get a couple clips off a DVD to use in the presentation.
    >
    > As it stands now, I can copy the DVD using my DVStorm, but I want to do a
    > straight rip from the DVD drive. The problem is that all the freeware
    > programs I've tried either don't work or don't copy into an AVI or MPG
    > format (as they claim to do).
    >
    > I've downloaded a bunch of demos and have even paid for one program - and
    > none of them seem to do what I need, which is to rip the video into a
    > single AVI or other video format file.
    >
    > For the record, I've tried Easy DVD Clone, DVD-to-Mpeg, WinAVI, DVDFab,
    > ImTOO, Divx DVD Ripper, and Magic DVD Ripper. All of these give me a clone
    > (the IFO & other files) but not a simple AVI, which is what I want.
    >
    > Am I just missing something obvious?
    >
    > Thanks!

Tuner Cards DVD Video Ripping Graphics