Simultaneously Capture and Stream video across LAN

Hey all-

I just got my first laptop, so naturally I'm trying to explore
different uses for it. What I thought I might like to try is to stream
live TV over my wireless or wired LAN.

I'm willing to accept low resolution to reduce bandwidth, and I'm
also not concerned with changing channels from the laptop. I don't
really care what format the video is in, and I don't plan on saving any
of it. I just want to start up an application on the desktop, turn the
cable box to whatever I feel like watching, and go watch that stream on
the laptop. I've got a desktop PC with an analog capture card, and I
planned on just using the composite signal out of my digital cable box.
I've done a fair amount of analog and firewire video capture and
editing, so my main concern is the software.

Two leads I have are Windows Media Encoder and VideoLAN. Does anyone
have any experience with these, or any suggestions for other setups to
mess around with?

Thanks,
Korey

Jimmy

korey99 wrote:
> Hey all-
>
> I just got my first laptop, so naturally I'm trying to explore
> different uses for it. What I thought I might like to try is to
> stream live TV over my wireless or wired LAN.
>
> I'm willing to accept low resolution to reduce bandwidth, and I'm
> also not concerned with changing channels from the laptop. I don't
> really care what format the video is in, and I don't plan on saving
> any of it. I just want to start up an application on the desktop,
> turn the cable box to whatever I feel like watching, and go watch
> that stream on the laptop. I've got a desktop PC with an analog
> capture card, and I planned on just using the composite signal out of
> my digital cable box. I've done a fair amount of analog and firewire
> video capture and editing, so my main concern is the software.
>
> Two leads I have are Windows Media Encoder and VideoLAN. Does anyone
> have any experience with these, or any suggestions for other setups to
> mess around with?
>
> Thanks,
> Korey

I once tried NetMeeting just to see what it looked like. Sending TV or VCR
video worked but I have TV card so...

J.

Jimmy wrote:

> I once tried NetMeeting just to see what it looked like. Sending TV or VCR
> video worked but I have TV card so...
>
> J.

Hey all-

In case anyone else plans to try this, I just thought I'd let you know
that I tried out Windows Media Encoder, and it works great. As a matter
of fact, I'm watching it right now! When you first launch, it gives you
a wizard, and one of the choices there is exactly what I needed to do.
Now, I had to fool around with video drivers a bit (I have a bt878 chip,
which apparently has problems with WME), but it didn't take too long to
get it working fine. I used the 768kbps setting and it streams great
from my PIII-866 over my wireless G network.

Korey

Jimmy

Korey Atterberry wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
>>
>> I once tried NetMeeting just to see what it looked like. Sending TV
>> or VCR video worked but I have TV card so...
>>
>> J.
>
> Hey all-
>
> In case anyone else plans to try this, I just thought I'd let you know
> that I tried out Windows Media Encoder, and it works great. As a
> matter of fact, I'm watching it right now! When you first launch, it
> gives you a wizard, and one of the choices there is exactly what I
> needed to do. Now, I had to fool around with video drivers a bit (I
> have a bt878 chip, which apparently has problems with WME), but it
> didn't take too long to get it working fine. I used the 768kbps
> setting and it streams great from my PIII-866 over my wireless G
> network.
> Korey

Works just like the Dr.ordered. It captures and broadcasts at the same
time.

RioJaguar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
How do you capture (save to a file) and broadcast (stream out) at the same time using Microsoft Media Encoder?

I am using Media Encoder 9 on Vista to stream out a received NTSC signal but I don't see where/how I can save what it is streaming.

Thanks,
Rio