Remote Desktop login fails unless logged in locally

Situation:

Remote desktop enabled on an XP SP2 machine. If a local user is not
logged in Remote Desktop connections fail. When Remote Desktop tries to
log on, the host machine shows they are trying ("1 program running"
under their username at the login screen), but then the connection drops
and kicks them out. No error messages.

However, if they log on to the host computer first, then try RD'ing to
it, it works. Firewall enabled, but exception allowed for RD.

Any thoughts?
It was working before without someone being logged in and the only
change they can think of is the installation/removal of MS's Antispyware.

Steve
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop login fails logged locally

    I also have this problem ... after the target machine has been
    rebooted I cannot RD into is unless someone logs into it locally
    first, then they can either stay logged in or logout and RD will work
    OK ... any solutions?

    Markeau <please_reply@news.group> wrote:

    > I also have this problem ... after the target machine has been
    > rebooted I cannot RD into is unless someone logs into it locally
    > first, then they can either stay logged in or logout and RD will work
    > OK ... any solutions?

    On the remote PC you are trying to connect to by Remote Desktop, you need to
    update the drivers for its video card.

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    The target pc was wireless. Fixed this problem by deleting the
    wireless card's applet and then use xp's native wireless zero config
    utility.

    "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
    >I also have this problem ... after the target machine has been
    >rebooted I cannot RD into is unless someone logs into it locally
    >first, then they can either stay logged in or logout and RD will work
    >OK ... any solutions?
    >
    > "Steve Jones" <jones948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Situation:
    >>
    >> Remote desktop enabled on an XP SP2 machine. If a local user is not
    >> logged in Remote Desktop connections fail. When Remote Desktop
    >> tries to
    >> log on, the host machine shows they are trying ("1 program running"
    >> under their username at the login screen), but then the connection
    >> drops
    >> and kicks them out. No error messages.
    >>
    >> However, if they log on to the host computer first, then try RD'ing
    >> it, it works. Firewall enabled, but exception allowed for RD.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >> It was working before without someone being logged in and the only
    >> change they can think of is the installation/removal of MS's
    >> Antispyware.
    >>
    >> Steve

  4. I am having the same issue with Windows 7. did anyone find a solution to this. I have my computer set to WOL and I don't want to require someone to locally log in to allow me to remote in. That just sounds stupid. This did work before. Maybe a windows update screwed this up. Does anyone know?

Remote Desktop Login Microsoft Windows XP