Media Center PC's

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

http://tinyurl.com/aw323

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9

Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
won't.

One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.

I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1123797052.002029.123700@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/aw323
>
> or
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=system
> ax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
>
> Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
> ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
> pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
> the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
> boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
> won't.

TiVo-Like??? There's nothing like a TiVo, A networked pC/DVR is not
anything like a TiVo; and if there was such a device they'd be sued out
of business for patent infringement.

> One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
> keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
>
> I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
> cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
> didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1123797052.002029.123700@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:
>http://tinyurl.com/aw323
>
>or
>
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systema
>x+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
>
>Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
>ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
>pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
>the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
>boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
>won't.
>
>One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
>keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
>
>I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
>cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
>didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

Um, why was there a towel close to the computer??????

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 11 Aug 2005 14:50:52 -0700, "BrianEWilliams"
<sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://tinyurl.com/aw323

Wonder how loud the (cooling) noise ?

>or
>
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
>
>Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
>ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
>pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
>the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
>boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
>won't.
>
>One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
>keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
>
>I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
>cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
>didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

Another Media Center PC
http://www.datago.com/where_to_buy.shtml

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/aw323
>
> Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
> ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
> pushing these TiVo-like computers.

$1700 and you don't even get a tuner!

The specs say that those computers come with Windows XP Media Center
Edition, and that OS is capable of handling two tuners, but the
hardware description does not mention having such a device
included in the box.

-Joe

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.

I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
that disagrees without paying me my license fee.

Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> writes:

> BrianEWilliams wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
> > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
>
> > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
> > pushing these TiVo-like computers.
>
> $1700 and you don't even get a tuner!
>
> The specs say that those computers come with Windows XP Media Center
> Edition, and that OS is capable of handling two tuners, but the
> hardware description does not mention having such a device
> included in the box.
>
> -Joe

What a ripoff.

I recently bought a fully-loaded Dell Dimension MCE PC with a dual
tuner for just over $850. Best buy I've made in a long time. If you
can hide the case, there's no reason to mess with something crippled
that costs twice as much.

--
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."
-- Oscar Wilde

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
> ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
> It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
> tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
>
> I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
> interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
> that disagrees without paying me my license fee.

No, actually I pretty much agree with you. Until the '70s the idea of
patenting an "idea" was not generally accepted. The patent office
required that you present a working model of your proposed device. Then
technology outstripped the ability of the patent office to keep up.

I've got the same problem with the allowance of patents on genes. Did
they invent the genes? No, they *discovered* them. Newton "discovered"
gravity, would it have made sense to allow him to *patent* it? If my
DNA contains the patented gene, do I have to pay them royalties?

It's patently ridiculous! (I profoundly apologize for that ;-))

Randy S.

"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/aw323
>
> or
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
>
> Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
> ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
> pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
> the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
> boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
> won't.
>
> One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
> keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
>
> I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
> cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
> didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

In my experience, Tivos and media center PC's are quite different. The
functionality and ease of use you get in a Tivo is light years ahead of any
home theatre PC. I have five DirecTivo's, one of which is a hidef Tivo. I
just added a Hewlett Packard z545 media center 2005 PC. There is good reason
to have both in a well equipped home theatre, and some features do overlap,
but they are a lot different. As an example, keep in mind that you cannot
get data onto a Tivo except through its tuner(s), while you can get anything
you want onto your PC, including videos, pictures, rips of DVD's, and yes,
even recorded TV shows (even in HDTV format).

Randy S. wrote:

> BrianEWilliams wrote:
>
>> The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
>> ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
>> It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
>> tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
>>
>> I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
>> interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
>> that disagrees without paying me my license fee.
>>

> No, actually I pretty much agree with you. Until the '70s the idea of
> patenting an "idea" was not generally accepted. The patent office
> required that you present a working model of your proposed device. Then
> technology outstripped the ability of the patent office to keep up.
>
> I've got the same problem with the allowance of patents on genes. Did
> they invent the genes? No, they *discovered* them. Newton "discovered"
> gravity, would it have made sense to allow him to *patent* it? If my
> DNA contains the patented gene, do I have to pay them royalties?
>
> It's patently ridiculous! (I profoundly apologize for that ;-))
>
> Randy S.

Dam.. You have to pay Microsoft now for using that smilly face.. Did you
know that they got a patent for that last week?

(this is NOT a joke).

-Richard

BrianEWilliams wrote:

> The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
> ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
> It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
> tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.

Anyone can get a patent on something.. However, its up to you to enforce
it. Which basically means that patents are useless to the average
person! Because the average person doesn't have the money to enforce a
patent. This came as a shock to me after researching patents on one of
my inventions.

> I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
> interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
> that disagrees without paying me my license fee.

Your right.. That's what its coming too.

-Richard

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <ChnLe.781$UA1.408@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, Richard
Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote:

> BrianEWilliams wrote:
>
> > The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
> > ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
> > It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
> > tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
>
> Anyone can get a patent on something.. However, its up to you to enforce
> it. Which basically means that patents are useless to the average
> person! Because the average person doesn't have the money to enforce a
> patent. This came as a shock to me after researching patents on one of
> my inventions.
>

> > I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
> > interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
> > that disagrees without paying me my license fee.
>
> Your right.. That's what its coming too.

There was a Batman arc in the 1940s in which the Penguin copyrighted
the alphabet and made everybody pay him royalties every time they wrote
something down. We're getting there slowly.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
nice TiVo alternative.

Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
I am well aware of the big difference.

Poldy

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1124026055.809804.12680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
> PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
> functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
> nice TiVo alternative.
>
> Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
> I am well aware of the big difference.

What happens to the Media Center PC if you're playing a game or doing
some graphics-intensive thing and it's also trying to record something?

What happens to the game performance? What happens with the recording?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Well the major manufacturers have media center pc's, as was mentioned
in other replies. But HP has a media center pc that is built like a
stereo/entertainment component. Go to hp.com and search for
Digital Entertainment Center.

To answer another response, these things will never be priced under $500.
They are being sold to the computer user market with general purpose
processors like Intel Pentium and 512MB/1GB of memory, and an operating
system (Windows Media Center) that allows you to do other things besides
record your TV shows. My guess is TiVo's model isn't to make money off
the hardware, but off those monthly fees.

"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/aw323
>
> or
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
>
> Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
> ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
> pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
> the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
> boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
> won't.
>
> One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
> keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
>
> I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
> cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
> didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

seth

>I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
> PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
> functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
> nice TiVo alternative.
>
> Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
> I am well aware of the big difference.

I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC

http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

http://tinyurl.com/6okgb

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
>
> http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
(2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.

An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/MailerDaemon.gif

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I have a ROKU and just built a media center PC

I like the ROKU HD100 for HD photo display (this is it's best role) and it
does a reasonably job of playing music with a third party music player call
sonica

movie \ dvd \ video play is not so good compared to the media center PC --
with media center PC add plugin like My Movies -- it does a MCE does a great
job for playing movies via an HDMI port on my sony TV

music is good on the MCE too

photo display is ok, but the Roku does this better than MCE

both can do internet radio with plugin

doing TV is out for the roku, MCE can do this well for SD and HD with the
right hardware

Neither are as good as my HD DirecTivo for recording satellite and over air
TV HDTV

real use comments - just my experience to date

steve

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
>>
>> http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
>
> Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
> HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
> TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
> (2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
> camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.
>
> An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
> PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/MailerDaemon.gif

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I have been using Beyond TV and Beyond Media from www.snapstream.com
for several years now in my HTPC.

seth

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
>>
>> http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
>
> Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
> HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
> TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
> (2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
> camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.

The ability to record is not an issue for me as my source of programming
where I live is cable or satellite. Too far from anything to grab OTA. But
I see how this would be a desired feature for others.

> An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
> PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).

Nice product, but missing a DVD player. Part of what had me find the Iodata
box is my need for a new DVD player. Currently I'm using my XBox.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
> > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
>
> Nice product, but missing a DVD player.

Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.

--
Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
| is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound
| moments of misery."
| -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

3rd party software needed for DVD play of the VIDEO_TS folder ==Mplay

works, but a DVD player or MCE PC with My Movies works better -- My Movies
and MCE plays ISO image of DVDs either with the built in player if you have
the decoders loaded from either PowerDVD or TheaterTek software

As I mention I have all this toys Roku HD1000, MCE, HDMI dvd olayer -- Roku
is not that great for DVD play experience compared to the other options

it is superb for slide show of digital photos - which is why I bought one

Steven Toney (toneys@ibm.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> As I mention I have all this toys Roku HD1000, MCE, HDMI dvd olayer -- Roku
> is not that great for DVD play experience compared to the other options
> it is superb for slide show of digital photos - which is why I bought one

True, the Roku isn't as good at DVD playback as it could be, but it works.
It is better at HD than anything else I have seen in that price range.

It works great with HDTV capture cards in a PC to allow you to set the PC to
record stuff, and then watch through the Roku. You don't have to worry about
whether the PC is still recording or not...just start watching.