Media Center PC's

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

http://tinyurl.com/aw323

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9

Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
won't.

One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.

I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.
29 answers Last reply
More about media center
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <1123797052.002029.123700@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=system
    > ax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
    >
    > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    > pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
    > the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
    > boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
    > won't.

    TiVo-Like??? There's nothing like a TiVo, A networked pC/DVR is not
    anything like a TiVo; and if there was such a device they'd be sued out
    of business for patent infringement.

    > One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
    > keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
    >
    > I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
    > cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
    > didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <1123797052.002029.123700@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systema
    >x+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
    >
    >Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    >ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    >pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
    >the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
    >boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
    >won't.
    >
    >One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
    >keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
    >
    >I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
    >cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
    >didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

    Um, why was there a towel close to the computer??????
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On 11 Aug 2005 14:50:52 -0700, "BrianEWilliams"
    <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >http://tinyurl.com/aw323

    Wonder how loud the (cooling) noise ?

    >or
    >
    >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
    >
    >Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    >ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    >pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
    >the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
    >boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
    >won't.
    >
    >One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
    >keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
    >
    >I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
    >cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
    >didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

    Another Media Center PC
    http://www.datago.com/where_to_buy.shtml
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    >
    > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    > pushing these TiVo-like computers.

    $1700 and you don't even get a tuner!

    The specs say that those computers come with Windows XP Media Center
    Edition, and that OS is capable of handling two tuners, but the
    hardware description does not mention having such a device
    included in the box.

    -Joe
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=472991

    Thanks for the reference. Seems like some genius decided these things
    should sell for $1500.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1491555&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

    Initially, the apparent lack of a tuner also concerned me, but if you
    look at the above link, they clearly list a PCI TV tuner. They need to
    make this more obvious, obviously.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
    ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
    It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
    tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.

    I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
    interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
    that disagrees without paying me my license fee.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> writes:

    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    > > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    >
    > > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    > > pushing these TiVo-like computers.
    >
    > $1700 and you don't even get a tuner!
    >
    > The specs say that those computers come with Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition, and that OS is capable of handling two tuners, but the
    > hardware description does not mention having such a device
    > included in the box.
    >
    > -Joe

    What a ripoff.

    I recently bought a fully-loaded Dell Dimension MCE PC with a dual
    tuner for just over $850. Best buy I've made in a long time. If you
    can hide the case, there's no reason to mess with something crippled
    that costs twice as much.

    --
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."
    -- Oscar Wilde

    BrianEWilliams wrote:
    > The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
    > ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
    > It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
    > tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
    >
    > I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
    > interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
    > that disagrees without paying me my license fee.

    No, actually I pretty much agree with you. Until the '70s the idea of
    patenting an "idea" was not generally accepted. The patent office
    required that you present a working model of your proposed device. Then
    technology outstripped the ability of the patent office to keep up.

    I've got the same problem with the allowance of patents on genes. Did
    they invent the genes? No, they *discovered* them. Newton "discovered"
    gravity, would it have made sense to allow him to *patent* it? If my
    DNA contains the patented gene, do I have to pay them royalties?

    It's patently ridiculous! (I profoundly apologize for that ;-))

    Randy S.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
    >
    > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    > pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
    > the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
    > boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
    > won't.
    >
    > One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
    > keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
    >
    > I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
    > cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
    > didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

    In my experience, Tivos and media center PC's are quite different. The
    functionality and ease of use you get in a Tivo is light years ahead of any
    home theatre PC. I have five DirecTivo's, one of which is a hidef Tivo. I
    just added a Hewlett Packard z545 media center 2005 PC. There is good reason
    to have both in a well equipped home theatre, and some features do overlap,
    but they are a lot different. As an example, keep in mind that you cannot
    get data onto a Tivo except through its tuner(s), while you can get anything
    you want onto your PC, including videos, pictures, rips of DVD's, and yes,
    even recorded TV shows (even in HDTV format).
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Randy S. wrote:

    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
    >> ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
    >> It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
    >> tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
    >>
    >> I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
    >> interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
    >> that disagrees without paying me my license fee.
    >>

    > No, actually I pretty much agree with you. Until the '70s the idea of
    > patenting an "idea" was not generally accepted. The patent office
    > required that you present a working model of your proposed device. Then
    > technology outstripped the ability of the patent office to keep up.
    >
    > I've got the same problem with the allowance of patents on genes. Did
    > they invent the genes? No, they *discovered* them. Newton "discovered"
    > gravity, would it have made sense to allow him to *patent* it? If my
    > DNA contains the patented gene, do I have to pay them royalties?
    >
    > It's patently ridiculous! (I profoundly apologize for that ;-))
    >
    > Randy S.

    Dam.. You have to pay Microsoft now for using that smilly face.. Did you
    know that they got a patent for that last week?

    (this is NOT a joke).

    -Richard
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    BrianEWilliams wrote:

    > The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
    > ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
    > It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
    > tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.

    Anyone can get a patent on something.. However, its up to you to enforce
    it. Which basically means that patents are useless to the average
    person! Because the average person doesn't have the money to enforce a
    patent. This came as a shock to me after researching patents on one of
    my inventions.

    > I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
    > interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
    > that disagrees without paying me my license fee.

    Your right.. That's what its coming too.

    -Richard
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <ChnLe.781$UA1.408@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, Richard
    Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote:

    > BrianEWilliams wrote:
    >
    > > The idea that general software functionality can be patented is pretty
    > > ridiculous, IMHO. Congress needs to step in and stop this nonsense.
    > > It's like I decided to patent turning left while driving. Or drinking
    > > tea with my pinky out. Or even keeping a towel close to my computer.
    >
    > Anyone can get a patent on something.. However, its up to you to enforce
    > it. Which basically means that patents are useless to the average
    > person! Because the average person doesn't have the money to enforce a
    > patent. This came as a shock to me after researching patents on one of
    > my inventions.
    >

    > > I know folks will disagree strongly, but that's what makes Usenet
    > > interesting. Maybe I will patent online disagreeing and sue everyone
    > > that disagrees without paying me my license fee.
    >
    > Your right.. That's what its coming too.

    There was a Batman arc in the 1940s in which the Penguin copyrighted
    the alphabet and made everybody pay him royalties every time they wrote
    something down. We're getting there slowly.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
    PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
    functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
    nice TiVo alternative.

    Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
    I am well aware of the big difference.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    In article <1124026055.809804.12680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
    > PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
    > functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
    > nice TiVo alternative.
    >
    > Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
    > I am well aware of the big difference.

    What happens to the Media Center PC if you're playing a game or doing
    some graphics-intensive thing and it's also trying to record something?

    What happens to the game performance? What happens with the recording?
  16. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Well the major manufacturers have media center pc's, as was mentioned
    in other replies. But HP has a media center pc that is built like a
    stereo/entertainment component. Go to hp.com and search for
    Digital Entertainment Center.

    To answer another response, these things will never be priced under $500.
    They are being sold to the computer user market with general purpose
    processors like Intel Pentium and 512MB/1GB of memory, and an operating
    system (Windows Media Center) that allows you to do other things besides
    record your TV shows. My guess is TiVo's model isn't to make money off
    the hardware, but off those monthly fees.

    "BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/aw323
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=systemax+media+center&image1.x=8&image1.y=9
    >
    > Not sure if there are other products out there like this, but IT'S
    > ABOUT TIME!! I can't believe the major manufacturers haven't started
    > pushing these TiVo-like computers. I built my own for about $900, but
    > the case was too big, and I had stability issues. Don't know why these
    > boxes should cost more than $1000. Wait about 12 months, and they
    > won't.
    >
    > One thing I like about this system is the integrated trackball on the
    > keyboard. Makes working the computer from the couch MUCH easier.
    >
    > I bought a computer from Tiger Direct once, and it was incredibly
    > cheap, but also incredibly LOUD. I had to throw a towel over it so I
    > didn't get a headache. Hopefully, they have fixed this issue.

  17. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    >I do love my TiVo's, but I also like having a media PC. When the media
    > PC's cost under $500 with the ability for users to program new
    > functionality, they are going to be pretty attractive, even with the
    > nice TiVo alternative.
    >
    > Bottom line, though, I shouldn't have used the phrase "TiVo-like" since
    > I am well aware of the big difference.

    I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC

    http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

    http://tinyurl.com/6okgb
  18. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
    >
    > http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

    Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
    HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
    TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
    (2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
    camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.

    An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
    PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/MailerDaemon.gif
  19. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    I have a ROKU and just built a media center PC

    I like the ROKU HD100 for HD photo display (this is it's best role) and it
    does a reasonably job of playing music with a third party music player call
    sonica

    movie \ dvd \ video play is not so good compared to the media center PC --
    with media center PC add plugin like My Movies -- it does a MCE does a great
    job for playing movies via an HDMI port on my sony TV

    music is good on the MCE too

    photo display is ok, but the Roku does this better than MCE

    both can do internet radio with plugin

    doing TV is out for the roku, MCE can do this well for SD and HD with the
    right hardware

    Neither are as good as my HD DirecTivo for recording satellite and over air
    TV HDTV

    real use comments - just my experience to date

    steve

    > Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
    >>
    >> http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
    >
    > Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
    > HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
    > TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
    > (2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
    > camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.
    >
    > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
    > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/MailerDaemon.gif
  20. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    I have been using Beyond TV and Beyond Media from www.snapstream.com
    for several years now in my HTPC.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    > Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> I'm considering one of these instead of a MediaCenter PC
    >>
    >> http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA
    >
    > Well, it can't record TV, and reports are that it chokes on high-bandwidth
    > HDTV over even a wired network connection, and doesn't apparently support
    > TS files of more than 720p. It also has a fixed maximum size for pictures
    > (2048x1532), so you'd have to down-convert before you send if you have a
    > camera with more resolution. It also doesn't upscale DVD movies to HD.

    The ability to record is not an issue for me as my source of programming
    where I live is cable or satellite. Too far from anything to grab OTA. But
    I see how this would be a desired feature for others.

    > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
    > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).

    Nice product, but missing a DVD player. Part of what had me find the Iodata
    box is my need for a new DVD player. Currently I'm using my XBox.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the Roku
    > > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
    >
    > Nice product, but missing a DVD player.

    Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
    a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
    | is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound
    | moments of misery."
    | -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"
  23. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    3rd party software needed for DVD play of the VIDEO_TS folder ==Mplay

    works, but a DVD player or MCE PC with My Movies works better -- My Movies
    and MCE plays ISO image of DVDs either with the built in player if you have
    the decoders loaded from either PowerDVD or TheaterTek software

    As I mention I have all this toys Roku HD1000, MCE, HDMI dvd olayer -- Roku
    is not that great for DVD play experience compared to the other options

    it is superb for slide show of digital photos - which is why I bought one

    > Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the
    >> > Roku
    >> > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
    >>
    >> Nice product, but missing a DVD player.
    >
    > Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
    > a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
    > | is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound
    > | moments of misery."
    > | -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"
  24. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Steven Toney (toneys@ibm.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > As I mention I have all this toys Roku HD1000, MCE, HDMI dvd olayer -- Roku
    > is not that great for DVD play experience compared to the other options
    > it is superb for slide show of digital photos - which is why I bought one

    True, the Roku isn't as good at DVD playback as it could be, but it works.
    It is better at HD than anything else I have seen in that price range.

    It works great with HDTV capture cards in a PC to allow you to set the PC to
    record stuff, and then watch through the Roku. You don't have to worry about
    whether the PC is still recording or not...just start watching.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
    | is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound
    | moments of misery."
    | -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"
  25. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    > Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> > An HTPC doesn't have any of these limitations, and neither does the
    >> > Roku
    >> > PhotoBridge (http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php).
    >>
    >> Nice product, but missing a DVD player.
    >
    > Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
    > a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.

    Since you're more up on features than I am (seriously, not being a wise-ass)
    how does this puppy stack up. On the surface it appears the same as the
    IOData box, but does mention some of the up-conversion that you pointed out
    was missing on the IOData box.

    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18#
  26. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > Since you're more up on features than I am (seriously, not being a wise-ass)
    > how does this puppy stack up. On the surface it appears the same as the
    > IOData box, but does mention some of the up-conversion that you pointed out
    > was missing on the IOData box.
    >
    > http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18#

    Well, ignore the "wireless" part...even 54Mbps isn't fast enough for
    reliable HDTV transmission (because you only get about 1/3 that speed in
    the real world), so you'd have to go wired if you want HD.

    Second, there's no digital video output (DVI/HDMI), so you can count on
    the fact that it does *not* upconvert DVDs.

    Next, the spec sheet shows that it "supports" a lot more stuff than it
    brags about in big letters. The AAC (iTunes) support is one that jumps out
    at me as something that they would be bragging about. It's possible that
    some of these features are only "supported" through conversion by a program
    running on a computer (since--based on the manual--you *have* to have
    special software installed on a computer). Also, it only supports UPnP for
    media sharing. The Roku supports SMB, NFS, and has limited UPnP support
    that is getting better with each software revision.

    On the other hand, in the laundry list of video files it supports, TS is
    *not* listed, and it's by far the most popular method of storing HD
    recordings on PCs.

    Personally, for about the same price as the Roku, I'd avoid it. Buy a
    standalone upscaling DVD player (most of which also support DivX, WMV,
    etc.) if you want a truly easy to use "insert the disc and go" solution.

    If you want to play networked media, look elsewhere. I like the Roku
    because it is an open platform. If I get desperate enough, I can write
    the software myself.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "She just dropped by to remind me that my life
    | is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound
    | moments of misery."
    | -- Richard Karinsky, "Caroline in the City"
  27. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    Seth wrote:
    > "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

    >>>Nice product, but missing a DVD player.
    >>
    >>Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
    >>a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.
    >

    > Since you're more up on features than I am (seriously, not being a wise-ass)
    > how does this puppy stack up. On the surface it appears the same as the
    > IOData box, but does mention some of the up-conversion that you pointed out
    > was missing on the IOData box.
    >
    > http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18#

    Seth,

    This might be exactly what I was looking for. I recently wired up my
    house in preparation for my (self installed) IPTV system.

    Most of these other IPTV players like this must either use a windows
    machine or a Mac as "the server". This one runs off the buffalo terabit
    storage.

    Wow.. I'll have to look into that one.

    -Richard
  28. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:51:55 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    wrote:

    >Seth wrote:
    >> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

    >>>Well, it doesn't have a DVD drive, but plays DVDs quite nicely if you have
    >>>a computer with a DVD drive (or ripped files) connected to the network.
    >>

    >> Since you're more up on features than I am (seriously, not being a wise-ass)
    >> how does this puppy stack up. On the surface it appears the same as the
    >> IOData box, but does mention some of the up-conversion that you pointed out
    >> was missing on the IOData box.
    >>
    >> http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18#
    >
    >Seth,
    >
    >This might be exactly what I was looking for. I recently wired up my
    >house in preparation for my (self installed) IPTV system.
    >
    >Most of these other IPTV players like this must either use a windows
    >machine or a Mac as "the server". This one runs off the buffalo terabit
    >storage.
    >
    >Wow.. I'll have to look into that one.
    >
    >-Richard

    Me Too!

    Luck;
    Ken
  29. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:51:55 GMT, Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Seth wrote:
    >>> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

    >>> Since you're more up on features than I am (seriously, not being a
    >>> wise-ass)
    >>> how does this puppy stack up. On the surface it appears the same as the
    >>> IOData box, but does mention some of the up-conversion that you pointed
    >>> out
    >>> was missing on the IOData box.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=96&categoryid=18#
    >>
    >>Seth,
    >>
    >>This might be exactly what I was looking for. I recently wired up my
    >>house in preparation for my (self installed) IPTV system.
    >>
    >>Most of these other IPTV players like this must either use a windows
    >>machine or a Mac as "the server". This one runs off the buffalo terabit
    >>storage.
    >>
    >>Wow.. I'll have to look into that one.
    >>
    >>-Richard
    >
    > Me Too!

    Well, I ended up ordering the IOData box. Will hopefully be here this
    Friday. A few co-workers of mine have it and enjoy the results, even on
    large screen TVs. It may not be as good as the Roku, but for the money it
    seems to fit my ticket. To go with something that had DVI output (and use
    the DVI) I would have needed to also get a DVI switch box (remote controlled
    so I could macro it from my Pronto remote so the wife and kids could easily
    use it) and at that point the cost difference became quite a bit.

    My main interests are DVD playback (I'm sure it will perform better than the
    XBox I am using now) and streaming of DivX and MP3 files from my server.

    Final price (assuming rebate comes as promised) is $219 (including shipping)
    as they have a $50 competitive upgrade/rebate that the XBox qualifies for.

    We'll see how it performs once I get it and install it.

Tuner Cards Media Center Video Graphics