Remote Desktop-without logging current user off

I am a network administrator. Is there a way I can connect via Remote desktop
with the current user of the other computer still able to use the computer?
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop without logging current user

    No.

    There are methods which will let you do this, but involve things that are
    not supported or endorsed by Microsoft.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "pendragon_fan" <pendragon_fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am a network administrator. Is there a way I can connect via Remote
    >desktop
    > with the current user of the other computer still able to use the
    > computer?

    As Matt noted that is not normally supported with Remote Desktop... There is a shadow function that
    may work for you...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656

    If this is a "Help Desk" function you could also look into using Remote Assistance...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    You can even "offer" assistance since your in a domain environment...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308013
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310629
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306496

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "pendragon_fan" <pendragon_fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am a network administrator. Is there a way I can connect via Remote desktop
    > with the current user of the other computer still able to use the computer?

    Correction... That should read...

    "You can even "offer" assistance if your in a domain environment..."

    --

    > As Matt noted that is not normally supported with Remote Desktop... There is a shadow function
    > that may work for you...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656
    >
    > If this is a "Help Desk" function you could also look into using Remote Assistance...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx
    >
    > You can even "offer" assistance since your in a domain environment...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308013
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310629
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306496
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "pendragon_fan" <pendragon_fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am a network administrator. Is there a way I can connect via Remote desktop
    >> with the current user of the other computer still able to use the computer?

Remote Desktop Computers Microsoft Windows XP