Get Software or Get Driver?

Hello,

I wish I could create a DVD video from my digital camera videos. These
videos are in AVI format and are mostly short segments of 1 to 5
minutes each, adding a total of nearly 2.5 hours.

Here is my dilema:

1) should I replace my HP CD Writer/Burner (its internal'and came with
my HP Pavilion 523n) with something like an internal DVD Writer/Burner?
or it is possible to create DVD's from CD-R's? as far as I know, you
can create VCD's using CD-R's, but my experience on the past is
terrible. Most VCD's images have some deffect on pixels when I'm
watching them (it's like loosing a digital signal from a satellite dish
during a storm).

2) If I get a DVD Writer/Burner, is there any out there with a decent
software? these are home videos, so I am not looking for some really
professional and expensive product to make DVD's.

I appreciate any help, suggestions and advice you can give me.

AnthonyR

<ginopalomo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I wish I could create a DVD video from my digital camera videos. These
> videos are in AVI format and are mostly short segments of 1 to 5
> minutes each, adding a total of nearly 2.5 hours.
>
> Here is my dilema:
>
> 1) should I replace my HP CD Writer/Burner (its internal'and came with
> my HP Pavilion 523n) with something like an internal DVD Writer/Burner?
> or it is possible to create DVD's from CD-R's? as far as I know, you
> can create VCD's using CD-R's, but my experience on the past is
> terrible. Most VCD's images have some deffect on pixels when I'm
> watching them (it's like loosing a digital signal from a satellite dish
> during a storm).
>
> 2) If I get a DVD Writer/Burner, is there any out there with a decent
> software? these are home videos, so I am not looking for some really
> professional and expensive product to make DVD's.
>
> I appreciate any help, suggestions and advice you can give me.

Hi Gino,
Yes, replace the cd-r that came with your computer with a dvd-r burner, for
sure.
They are so cheap now and even come with simple editing software and dvd
software.
Check out www.newegg.com for real bargains. Get a 16x multiformat, plus r
and minus r don't spend
more than $80 if even that much, prices should have dropped since i bought
mine 6 months ago.
Installing it, is as easy as unscrewing the old cd-r and attaching the new
dvd-r in its place.
Plug in the power wire and ide cable exactly the same as old one, that's it!
Windows will recognize the change and so will your software, you're done!
Easy as pie. :)
They will be the most compatible than vcd cd-r's on friends dvd players.
Have fun making them and enjoy watching them!
Good Luck,
AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <ginopalomo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wish I could create a DVD video from my digital camera videos. These
>> videos are in AVI format and are mostly short segments of 1 to 5
>> minutes each, adding a total of nearly 2.5 hours.
>>
>> Here is my dilema:
>>
>> 1) should I replace my HP CD Writer/Burner (its internal'and came with
>> my HP Pavilion 523n) with something like an internal DVD Writer/Burner?
>> or it is possible to create DVD's from CD-R's? as far as I know, you
>> can create VCD's using CD-R's, but my experience on the past is
>> terrible. Most VCD's images have some deffect on pixels when I'm
>> watching them (it's like loosing a digital signal from a satellite dish
>> during a storm).
>>
>> 2) If I get a DVD Writer/Burner, is there any out there with a decent
>> software? these are home videos, so I am not looking for some really
>> professional and expensive product to make DVD's.
>>
>> I appreciate any help, suggestions and advice you can give me.
>>
> Hi Gino,
> Yes, replace the cd-r that came with your computer with a dvd-r burner,
> for sure.
> They are so cheap now and even come with simple editing software and dvd
> software.
> Check out www.newegg.com for real bargains. Get a 16x multiformat, plus r
> and minus r don't spend
> more than $80 if even that much, prices should have dropped since i bought
> mine 6 months ago.
> Installing it, is as easy as unscrewing the old cd-r and attaching the new
> dvd-r in its place.
> Plug in the power wire and ide cable exactly the same as old one, that's
> it!
> Windows will recognize the change and so will your software, you're done!
> Easy as pie. :)
> They will be the most compatible than vcd cd-r's on friends dvd players.
> Have fun making them and enjoy watching them!
> Good Luck,
> AnthonyR.

Gino, if you have a spare IDE port, you could add the DVD drive and keep the
CDR drive as well. I did that on a desktop machine that had a single hard
drive and a CDRW. Those units were on the primary IDE controller. That
left the secondary IDE controller unused. I added the drive as the master
on the secondary. Also a simple installation. Having both burners allowed
me to use Nero to burn two CDRs simultaneously. I have a couple of clients
that want multiple copies of their projects upon completion, not enough to
send out to a duplicator. So doubling my productivity helped for those 10
to 25 CDR copies.

Steve King