How to play HDTV file on monitor

General

I have a computer monitor (and video card) that has the digital connection
input. The monitor supports HDTV capabilites. I have a HD file in AVI format.
How can I play this on my computer monitor so I can see what HDTV looks like?

"general" wrote ...
>I have a computer monitor (and video card) that has the
> digital connection input. The monitor supports HDTV
> capabilites. I have a HD file in AVI format. How can
> I play this on my computer monitor so I can see what
> HDTV looks like?

What happens when you try to play the AVI file on your computer?

General

>What happens when you try to play the AVI file on your computer?

It just looks like normal video quality. It is professionally shot with a high
end camera, I can see that but if that all that this HDTV thing is, man it is a
rip off for something so over hyped.

BTW, video was D/L from a company on the web promoting a promo shot in HD.

General

>What happens when you try to play the AVI file on your computer?

Forgot to mention, I went here to see what all the fuss was about and to get
some free video samples

http://www.wmvhd.com/

just playing them in the player, no big whop. I'm glad I didn't drop thousands
and thousands on HDTV if this is all it is.

"general" wrote ...
>>What happens when you try to play the AVI file on your computer?
>
> It just looks like normal video quality. It is professionally
> shot with a high end camera, I can see that but if that all that
> this HDTV thing is, man it is a rip off for something so over
> hyped.

Perhaps it doesn't look so impressive on a small screen.
I have seen HD on big screens (projection, plasma, and
LCD) and the improvement over SD is tryly eye-popping.

general <know@learn.com> went:

>I have a computer monitor (and video card) that has the digital connection
>input. The monitor supports HDTV capabilites. I have a HD file in AVI format.
>How can I play this on my computer monitor so I can see what HDTV looks like?

hdtv files are mpegs. usually available as .ts (transport stream)
files. they play in windvd and probably other software based dvd
players, but you might need ac3 codecs for the sound.

--
warning -- bbc7 and an increasing number of other stereo radio
stations are broadcast in 1960s style mono on dab digital radio,

He's right.. I lost an eye at Circuit City that way.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> "general" wrote ...
> >>What happens when you try to play the AVI file on your computer?
> >
> > It just looks like normal video quality. It is professionally
> > shot with a high end camera, I can see that but if that all that
> > this HDTV thing is, man it is a rip off for something so over
> > hyped.
>
> Perhaps it doesn't look so impressive on a small screen.
> I have seen HD on big screens (projection, plasma, and
> LCD) and the improvement over SD is tryly eye-popping.

LOL ... The advantages of HD are readily apparent with larger screen
sizes. On my 56" rptv some HD programs are like looking out a window -
no way SD can compare with that.

"general" <know@learn.com> wrote in message
> just playing them in the player, no big whop. I'm glad I didn't
> drop thousands
> and thousands on HDTV if this is all it is.

mb

No, HD is not overhyped. It's much, much better than standard video. HD
kind of brings 16:9 with it as well, so you that icing on the cake. You
get higher resolution and a wider picture.

To playback properly you need an HD set. I wouldn' trust playback on a
computer to showcase HD. Go see it on a good HD plasma or DLP set.