Editing Software for DVD-R Videos

Hi,

I am a real newbie and have raw footage that I recorded on my Sony
DVD-403 camcorder. Now, I want to be able to combine and edit the
contents of various mini discs.

I am looking for recommendations for software packages that will enable
me to do the editing on WindowsXP. Thoughts?

Thanks, Scott

scottspiegler wrote ...
> I am a real newbie and have raw footage that I recorded
> on my Sony DVD-403 camcorder. Now, I want to be able
> to combine and edit the contents of various mini discs.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for software packages
> that will enable me to do the editing on WindowsXP.

Did your camcorder come with any software?

First off....You might want to try the built-in video editor that comes with
Windows...It might suffice for your needs.....at least until you outgrow
it....
Len

--
.....Order the "Accordion Evolution" documentary of the Las Vegas
International Accordion Convention from my website:
<scottspiegler@alumni.brown.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am a real newbie and have raw footage that I recorded on my Sony
> DVD-403 camcorder. Now, I want to be able to combine and edit the
> contents of various mini discs.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for software packages that will enable
> me to do the editing on WindowsXP. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks, Scott

rs

scottspiegler@alumni.brown.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a real newbie and have raw footage that I recorded on my Sony
> DVD-403 camcorder. Now, I want to be able to combine and edit the
> contents of various mini discs.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for software packages that will enable
> me to do the editing on WindowsXP. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks, Scott

Does your camcorder record onto those Minidisks in Mpg format? If so,
then the application pool for editing is more limited.

First choice would be any software that you got with the camera. Other
choices are Mpg Video Wizard by Womble or Video Re-Do, both of which are
Mpg video editors.

Well, it came with a suite of Nero tools, but I cannot figure out how
to use them for my purposes. NERO seems to be for burning and copying
disks. And something called Picture Package. Would either of those
tools be usuable for editing and compiling edited clips into one
fullsize DVD?

Sony gives you virtually no documentation to know where to go once you
open the packaging! :(

Yes, it does use the minidiscs. Oooh, that is frustrating, as the
salesman at j and r told me that I should get the one with the
minidiscs. Do you recommend either of those mpg editors more so? Source
to buy them? Is there shareware out there for that purpose? Does it
work ok on miniDVD footage?

rs

Uncle Scotty wrote:
> Yes, it does use the minidiscs. Oooh, that is frustrating, as the
> salesman at j and r told me that I should get the one with the
> minidiscs. Do you recommend either of those mpg editors more so? Source
> to buy them? Is there shareware out there for that purpose? Does it
> work ok on miniDVD footage?

Both those editors will do the job for you. I believe you can aquire
either on a try before you buy basis.

You have now discovered why the general recomendation is that people do
not by the minidisk camcorders. If you want to edit the footage, your
options are limited. Happily, Mpeg editor's are getting better, and both
Womble and Videoredo will let you do most basic editing tasks.

rs

Uncle Scotty wrote:
> Well, it came with a suite of Nero tools, but I cannot figure out how
> to use them for my purposes. NERO seems to be for burning and copying
> disks. And something called Picture Package. Would either of those
> tools be usuable for editing and compiling edited clips into one
> fullsize DVD?
>
> Sony gives you virtually no documentation to know where to go once you
> open the packaging! :(

Nero is for burning DVD's, correct.

Picture Package appears to be this.
http://www.sony.net/enjoy-photo-movie/handycam/features/pp/index_n.html
Appears to mostly be just a gimmick thing.

Yeah... you got boned. Why people think saelsmen EVER know anything is
beyond my ability to comprehend.

If you can... return it ASAP and get a real camera.

if not....

Check out http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

Virtualdub MPEG is about the only tool I've found for dealing with
you're miniDVD's. You'll need a massive drive space to work on them and
there is all kinds of audio problems in your future because the encode
to AC3 Format which just doesn't want to edit.

You have to rip the video to a format you can handle and then rip the
audio to a wave file.

Worst of all.... you'll still going to be stuck with blocky generation
loss do to MPEG compression.

Sorry dude. I know you don't want to hear this.

I've been trying to figure out something for a guy who bought a
Panasinic version of the camera.

Editing is NEVER simple, but this step make it SO MUCH harder.

Maybe someone else can recomend a good codec to export to.

Uncle Scotty wrote:
> Yes, it does use the minidiscs. Oooh, that is frustrating, as the
> salesman at j and r told me that I should get the one with the
> minidiscs. Do you recommend either of those mpg editors more so? Source
> to buy them? Is there shareware out there for that purpose? Does it
> work ok on miniDVD footage?

AnthonyR

"Uncle Scotty" <scottspiegler@alumni.brown.edu> wrote in message
> Well, it came with a suite of Nero tools, but I cannot figure out how
> to use them for my purposes. NERO seems to be for burning and copying
> disks. And something called Picture Package. Would either of those
> tools be usuable for editing and compiling edited clips into one
> fullsize DVD?
>
> Sony gives you virtually no documentation to know where to go once you
> open the packaging! :(

My nephew had this same problem, but I noticed the new Sony Editing Package,
the jr one,
not sure of the exact name. Not Vegas, it's $99 anyway that handles mpeg
editing and has
been designed for the new miniDVD format. So it says on the box when I seen
it.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR wrote:
> "Uncle Scotty" <scottspiegler@alumni.brown.edu> wrote in message
>> Well, it came with a suite of Nero tools, but I cannot figure out how
>> to use them for my purposes. NERO seems to be for burning and copying
>> disks. And something called Picture Package. Would either of those
>> tools be usuable for editing and compiling edited clips into one
>> fullsize DVD?
>>
>> Sony gives you virtually no documentation to know where to go once
>> you open the packaging! :(
>>

> My nephew had this same problem, but I noticed the new Sony Editing
> Package, the jr one,
> not sure of the exact name. Not Vegas, it's $99 anyway that handles
> mpeg editing and has
> been designed for the new miniDVD format. So it says on the box when
> I seen it.
>
> AnthonyR.

That's Vegas Movie Studio+DVD and it's down to $90 online.
Details at http://tinyurl.com/anh9v
Look at the new features list and the top one is " Import video from DVD
Handycam and other DVD camcorders".
This really upsets us Vegas users as we don't have that capability and we
paid a lot more :)

Mike

AnthonyR

<pepci8899@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> why not use"Video Edit Magic", $69, it has the feature of capturing off
> of DV cameras,so you can edit the footage on the PC.
> http://www.mediasoftzone.com/Video/Video-Edit-Magic.html
> download via http://www.mediasoftzone.com/Video/Video-Edit-Magic.html
> there're some tutorials to help you!
>
> Regards!
> Cola

Well, maybe because he's not talking about a DV camera? He's talking adout
the newe miniDVD cameras, notice the similiarity.
That's why they sell so easy, years of people hearing about how good miniDV
is in quality, then they market miniDVD. Simple to sell
even if it's not simple or best to edit with.

The VideoRedo ($50) and Womble Mpg Video Wizard ($100) are two
different types of editors used for different reasons. VideoRedo will
ensure that the captured mpeg file is dvd compliant, while providing
the best trimming interface of any mpeg editor that I have used. The
Womble is great for adding effects, titles, etc... It too will trim,
but it doesn't have that fix the mpeg quality that VR has. Both are
frame accurate mpeg editors.

There are others available as well. I also have Pinnacle Studio. It
works well with mpeg. It, however, is not frame accurate, only
allowing cuts on the I-frame (There are about 2 I-frames per second
using an NTSC DVD compliant max GOP of 15). I am pretty sure that
Ulead and others will work as well.

It appears to me that the camera that you purchased captures directly
to mpeg on the mini dvd disks. I don't believe that the editors will
be your biggest limitation, but rather the maximum capacity of the mini
dvd at the best quality of capture is about 30 minutes, if I remember
correctly. But one can carry along a lot of mini disks. I don't think
that this is a bad way to go if ones final target for the video is DVD
and one captures at the highest quality (high bit rate). It does save
a lot of time. The real time capture quality of mpeg-2 keeps getting
better.

The camera that I am keeping an eye on is one that JVC has announced
which will have a 30gb hard drive in it. It too will capture to mpeg-2
format directly but will hold over 7 hours of high quality mpeg-2
before having to be unloaded to a computer.

Cheers...