The name of the remote host can't be found.

I've tried using Remote Assistance in XP from a freinds computer, in order
to connect my own home computer, from where I'd gotten my roomate to invite
me to take over my own computer. I can however not connect to my own
computer and gets and error message. The message is in Danish, but translted
to English it would say something like this: "The connection for remote
assistance could not be established, as the name of the remote host wasn't
found. Please try again." Does anyone know what can cause this error?

Thanks in advance.
JESPER / DENMARK
2 answers Last reply
More about remote host found

    Are the PCs behind firewalls/NAT devices or routers? You may need to enable UPnP on the device...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529

    What are you trying to do, ie. access your home PC to grab files or remote control of the PC? If so,
    if your running XP Pro on your home PC, look at using Remote Desktop instead.

    If your home PC is running XP Home look at an alternative like VNC (any flavor). I use and recommend
    UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    The encryption plug-in is particularly important since the native VNC data stream is *NOT*
    encrypted.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Hans Jørgen Sparvath" <hj-sparvah@mail.dk> wrote in message
    > I've tried using Remote Assistance in XP from a freinds computer, in order
    > to connect my own home computer, from where I'd gotten my roomate to invite
    > me to take over my own computer. I can however not connect to my own
    > computer and gets and error message. The message is in Danish, but translted
    > to English it would say something like this: "The connection for remote
    > assistance could not be established, as the name of the remote host wasn't
    > found. Please try again." Does anyone know what can cause this error?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > JESPER / DENMARK

    Just too ad:
    My own home computer, the computer I'm trying to connect to, uses SP2.
    My friends computer, the computer I'm trying to connect from, uses SP1
    Both computers uses XP PRO.

    Thanks in advance
    JESPER / DENMARK

    "Hans Jørgen Sparvath" <hj-sparvah@mail.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
    > I've tried using Remote Assistance in XP from a freinds computer, in order
    > to connect my own home computer, from where I'd gotten my roomate to
    invite
    > me to take over my own computer. I can however not connect to my own
    > computer and gets and error message. The message is in Danish, but
    translted
    > to English it would say something like this: "The connection for remote
    > assistance could not be established, as the name of the remote host wasn't
    > found. Please try again." Does anyone know what can cause this error?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > JESPER / DENMARK

Connection Computers Microsoft Windows XP