Video Editing and Capture

Hi,

I've been down the MM2 (Movie Maker) road all day with no success in
transferring video from my Cam to the PC.

I'm just curious before I splurge and spend tomorrow.

Anyone think my problems with MM2 will be indicative of future problems with
something like Adobe Premiere Elements? Heck, my laptop clearly communicates
with my DV Cam and I can easily preview what I've got on it through
Explorer.

Mind you my laptop's loaded with plenty of resources and more....plus my
system's plenty up to date.
15 answers Last reply
More about video editing capture

    Have you given some thought to Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. You should. It
    can capture, edit and burn from one program and do them all well.

    "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:56:08 GMT, "WhoTurnedOffTheLights"
    > <Lights@light0987654321.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been down the MM2 (Movie Maker) road all day with no success in
    >>transferring video from my Cam to the PC.
    >>
    >>Anyone think my problems with MM2 will be indicative of future problems
    >>with
    >>something like Adobe Premiere Elements? Heck, my laptop clearly
    >>communicates
    >>with my DV Cam and I can easily preview what I've got on it through
    >>Explorer.
    >>

    > Have you given some thought to Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. You should. It
    > can capture, edit and burn from one program and do them all well.
    >
    >>Mind you my laptop's loaded with plenty of resources and more....plus my
    >>system's plenty up to date.

    Hmmm, just quickly read some of the reviews on Zdnet and PCmag. Looks swell!
    Is having to additionally buy the MPEG encoder the norm?

    .....btw, I finally got my stuff to work on MM2 but it's never gonna be
    enough for me I can tell already.

    WhoTurnedOffTheLights wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been down the MM2 (Movie Maker) road all day with no success in
    > transferring video from my Cam to the PC.
    >
    > I'm just curious before I splurge and spend tomorrow.
    >
    > Anyone think my problems with MM2 will be indicative of future problems with
    > something like Adobe Premiere Elements? Heck, my laptop clearly communicates
    > with my DV Cam and I can easily preview what I've got on it through
    > Explorer.

    How are you communicating with your DV cam? A Firewire connection is the
    typical and preferred method of transfering video from a DV cam to a
    computer.

    Your video camera? What kind? What media are you recording on? Is this
    one of those minidisk cameras? Not much familiar with MM, but it may not
    play nice with the MPG files created by a minidisk.

    If your on DVtape, perhaps try Scenealayzer
    http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
    Working trail version can be D/L'ed and would give you a seperate app to
    check your captures problems against.

    Go for Premier Elements

    it has many of the same features as Premier Pro but is a bit easier to learn
    and the

    timeline "metaphor" will serve you well if you go to other programs one day.
    Sony

    Vegas also makes a consumer version called Vegas Video (or something) and

    THAT might be a good choice.

    Pinnacle Studio is a BUSINESS PLATFORM designed to tease you with more

    advanced features like mpeg encoding that you have to pay extra for, and
    it's known

    to HOSE people with code issues from time to time. Avoid at all costs.

    You can also get Premeir Elements with Photoshop Elements which is an
    awesome

    condensed version of Photoshop which has many features that interface well
    with

    video editing --- I got both for $99 at COMPUSA..

    WhoTurnedOffTheLights wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been down the MM2 (Movie Maker) road all day with no success in
    > transferring video from my Cam to the PC.
    >
    > I'm just curious before I splurge and spend tomorrow.
    >
    > Anyone think my problems with MM2 will be indicative of future problems with
    > something like Adobe Premiere Elements? Heck, my laptop clearly communicates
    > with my DV Cam and I can easily preview what I've got on it through
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Mind you my laptop's loaded with plenty of resources and more....plus my
    > system's plenty up to date.

    Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0 package. Video editing and DVD authoring
    for around $100 us. Then if you need more upgrade to Vegas 5 or maybe
    by that time 6.0

    "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message news:4301f5d6$1_2@newspeer2.tds.net...
    > How are you communicating with your DV cam? A Firewire connection is the
    > typical and preferred method of transfering video from a DV cam to a
    > computer.
    >
    > Your video camera? What kind? What media are you recording on? Is this one
    > of those minidisk cameras? Not much familiar with MM, but it may not play
    > nice with the MPG files created by a minidisk.

    I already solved my problems as I'd posted. Thanks though....good to know
    for the future.

    and it's a Canon Elura 80 Mini DV and yup, I'm using firewire.

    "Jack Perry" <vidEOWpro401234@optonline.net> wrote in message

    > Go for Premier Elements
    >
    > it has many of the same features as Premier Pro but is a bit easier to
    > learn and the.......

    > .....Pinnacle Studio is a BUSINESS PLATFORM designed to tease you with
    > more

    Too bad Compusa's price went up to $149 for the combo but I can still get it
    for $129 at J&R over here.

    btw, I'm wondering, I read some reviews as to how poorly Pinnacle handled
    anything beyond 15 minutes or so.

    Does Premiere Elements do okay with say, 30 minutes or more?
    (That is, allowing one has enough resources on their PC.)

    marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:
    > WhoTurnedOffTheLights wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've been down the MM2 (Movie Maker) road all day with no success in
    > > transferring video from my Cam to the PC.
    > >
    > > I'm just curious before I splurge and spend tomorrow.
    > >
    > > Anyone think my problems with MM2 will be indicative of future problems with
    > > something like Adobe Premiere Elements? Heck, my laptop clearly communicates
    > > with my DV Cam and I can easily preview what I've got on it through
    > > Explorer.
    > >
    > > Mind you my laptop's loaded with plenty of resources and more....plus my
    > > system's plenty up to date.
    >
    > Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0 package. Video editing and DVD authoring
    > for around $100 us. Then if you need more upgrade to Vegas 5 or maybe
    > by that time 6.0

    I second marks542004's suggestion for Vegas (Movie Studio+DVD). It's
    only $90 right now and, like it's big brother Vegas (version 6 came out
    in April BTW), is a very nice piece of software. Download the trial
    version and play with it for a while.

    Mike

    I brought the wrong laptop with me last summer on a weekend vacation thing,

    the one that only had Premier Elements on it and I was forced to edit a 2.5
    hr

    multicamera shoot with it and it worked like a champ even burning a simple
    but

    elegant DVD.. that I got paid almost too well for.

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam@xplornet.com> wrote in message

    > marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0 package. Video editing and DVD authoring
    >> for around $100 us. Then if you need more upgrade to Vegas 5 or maybe
    >> by that time 6.0
    >

    > I second marks542004's suggestion for Vegas (Movie Studio+DVD). It's
    > only $90 right now and, like it's big brother Vegas (version 6 came out
    > in April BTW), is a very nice piece of software. Download the trial
    > version and play with it for a while.

    Thank you Marks, Mike and everyone else!!!! I appreciate all this input.

    But I went out and purchased the Adobe Bundle this afternoon. Premiere
    Elements with PhotoShop. Maybe I'll come back and post my findings after
    I've played with it a little.

    >I brought the wrong laptop with me last summer on a weekend vacation
    >thing,
    >
    > the one that only had Premier Elements on it and I was forced to edit a
    > 2.5 hr
    >
    > multicamera shoot with it and it worked like a champ even burning a simple
    > but
    >
    > elegant DVD.. that I got paid almost too well for.

    Dude! I'm so impressed with what I've got right now! As I'd mentioned, I
    purchased it this afternoon with the Photoshop bundle.
    Awesome! I mean totally awesome. I'm already at the point I expected to be
    at a week ahead. Oye! Since it's jumpstarted me, I now have to worry about
    my choreography and how to put my separate videos into one piece! Ack!

    Yo! Thanks for the advice. I'm quite happy with my purchase and recommend it
    to anyone with the proper resources as well.
    Best to ya!

    PS...it's like peanuts. Once I picked it up, I can't put it down! I haven't
    even been through it's tutorials and I already know what I'm doing. Like a
    kid on Christmas Eve, I can't wait 'till tomorrow to find out what else it
    can do! Thanks again Buddy!

    Glad you like it

    it's kind of a pandora's box though,

    once you master it you'll easily segue' into Premier Pro when the time is
    right

    if you ever need to. Hopefully you got Photoshop Elements Version 3 as
    well,

    PE3 has most of the features that I needed from Photoshop CS, without the
    $600

    price tag

    good luck

    > Glad you like it
    >
    > it's kind of a pandora's box though,
    >
    > once you master it you'll easily segue' into Premier Pro when the time is
    > right
    >
    > if you ever need to. Hopefully you got Photoshop Elements Version 3 as
    > well,
    >
    > PE3 has most of the features that I needed from Photoshop CS, without the
    > $600
    >
    > price tag
    >
    > good luck

    How does it compare to "Gimp2" at $0.00?

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Jack Perry" <vidEOWpro401234@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > once you master it you'll easily segue' into Premier Pro when the time is
    > right
    >
    > if you ever need to. Hopefully you got Photoshop Elements Version 3 as
    > well,
    >
    > PE3 has most of the features that I needed from Photoshop CS, without the
    > $600

    It's now days later and I'm still so utterly thrilled with it.

    as for PS, I know, I know. 'been dealing with PS 5.0 for years and although
    I've played with PhotoShop 7.0 I didn't care for how it screwed up the file
    associations and PSD previews in Windows Explorer. (I forget now what that
    issue was.). '
    haven't installed Photoshop CS yet, but I'm hoping it'll make just as much
    good use of 7.0 filters.

    Now my one and only issue/problem is figuring out my inventory. That is,
    storage. I guess this'll be a big issue for anyone looking to do extensive
    film archiving.

Tuner Cards Video Editing Video Graphics