Using a laptop as an internet gateway

I am trying to configure my laptop so that i can connect my xbox to it in
order to play xbox live on the internet. I have dsl, and wireless networking
in my house, but no wireless adapter for the xbox, and no ethernet cable long
enough to reach the router. my laptop has a wireless card, and i was
wondering if and how its possible to use the laptop to provide an internet
connection for the xbox (the laptop has a ethernet plug as well as wireless).
iwant to plug the ethernet from the xbox to the laptop, then the laptop
wireless into the network, but am unsure of how to configure the laptop to do
so. thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about using laptop internet gateway

    bob smith wrote:

    > I am trying to configure my laptop so that i can connect my xbox to it
    > in order to play xbox live on the internet. I have dsl, and wireless
    > networking in my house, but no wireless adapter for the xbox, and no
    > ethernet cable long enough to reach the router. my laptop has a
    > wireless card, and i was wondering if and how its possible to use the
    > laptop to provide an internet connection for the xbox (the laptop has
    > a ethernet plug as well as wireless). iwant to plug the ethernet from
    > the xbox to the laptop, then the laptop wireless into the network, but
    > am unsure of how to configure the laptop to do so. thanks!

    AFAIK you need to get a game console wireless adapter if you want to
    have XBox Live. Maybe someone else has tried your idea, but the problem
    I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a transmitter.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "but the problem I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a
    transmitter." This statement is wrong. your wireless card is both a
    transmitter and receiver, otherwise how could it send packets to and receive
    packets from the router.

    I think the idea for using the laptop to connect to the wireless router
    should work. The fact that you have a wireless card AND an ethernet card
    should in fact turn the laptop into a router, since they are both ethernet
    adaptors.
    I think you will need to use the persistent route command and use different
    subnets for each adaptor. I'm not sure exactly the syntax to use.

    Do a google search on multi homed computers and routing(multi homed is a
    computer with more than one network adaptor thus turning it into a router
    which can and will route between different subnets assigned for each card).

    Hope this info sends you in the right direction.

    "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote:

    > "but the problem I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a
    > transmitter." This statement is wrong. your wireless card is both a
    > transmitter and receiver, otherwise how could it send packets to and
    > receive packets from the router.
    >
    > I think the idea for using the laptop to connect to the wireless
    > router should work. The fact that you have a wireless card AND an
    > ethernet card should in fact turn the laptop into a router, since they
    > are both ethernet adaptors.
    > I think you will need to use the persistent route command and use
    > different subnets for each adaptor. I'm not sure exactly the syntax to
    > use.
    >
    > Do a google search on multi homed computers and routing(multi homed is
    > a computer with more than one network adaptor thus turning it into a
    > router which can and will route between different subnets assigned for
    > each card).
    >
    > Hope this info sends you in the right direction.

    Cool idea, TW. It certainly can't hurt for the OP to try doing it your
    way. The game adapter I have for my XBox acts as a bridge, so maybe the
    OP can set his wireless card that way? Thanks for the information.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

Laptops Wireless Internet Ethernet Card Xbox Wireless Networking