Remote access using 56k Modem.

Hi all,

Did anyone out there ever attempted Remote Desktop Connection between 2 PCs
using 56k mode? Can share your experience on it?

I attempted to set up remote access between a PC and Notebook, both using
WinXP Pro SP2 OS and 56K modem for connection.

I had successfully setup the dial-up and the incoming connections for the
respective systems. But when I tried the remote access, problems arised.
Connection is successful but during "logging on to system..." process, the
connection is suddenly disconnected, occasionally with similiar error
"connection with remote computer lost...".

Is there anything I missed out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards,
Edwin Cheng
4 answers Last reply
More about remote access modem

    Edwin Cheng wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Did anyone out there ever attempted Remote Desktop Connection between
    > 2 PCs using 56k mode? Can share your experience on it?

    > I attempted to set up remote access between a PC and Notebook, both
    > using WinXP Pro SP2 OS and 56K modem for connection.
    >
    > I had successfully setup the dial-up and the incoming connections for
    > the respective systems. But when I tried the remote access, problems
    > arised. Connection is successful but during "logging on to system..."
    > process, the connection is suddenly disconnected, occasionally with
    > similiar error "connection with remote computer lost...".
    >
    > Is there anything I missed out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    The connections must be stable (many dial-up services are not) and you
    should really set the "experience" level for 'Modem (28.8)' even if you have
    a 56K modem.

    I have done this before - it is painful, but works in a pinch. I also help
    family members on dial-up this way from my cable modem or DSL lines all the
    time - no problems.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi Shenan,

    what do you mean "I also help family members on dial-up this way from my
    cable modem or DSL lines..."???

    Do you mean from your PC with cable/ADSL modem, you are able to connect to
    the PC that uses a dial-up modem? Does it mean the dial-up modem must be
    first connected to the internet first by the opposit party?

    regards,
    Edwin Cheng

    Edwin Cheng wrote:
    > what do you mean "I also help family members on dial-up this way from
    > my cable modem or DSL lines..."???
    >
    > Do you mean from your PC with cable/ADSL modem, you are able to
    > connect to the PC that uses a dial-up modem? Does it mean the dial-up
    > modem must be first connected to the internet first by the opposite
    > party?

    So you have setup RAS on the XP box so it answers incoming calls then?

    (Taking a page from Al's posts..)
    ****************
    Configure RAS on Windows XP
    To configure the computer for incoming connections, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click
    Network Connections.
    3. Double-click Create a new connection to start the
    New Connection Wizard.
    4. Under Network Connection Type, click Set up an advanced
    connection, and then click Next.
    5. Click Accept incoming connections, and then click Next.
    6. Click the modem from the list of devices, and then click Next.
    7. Select either of the options to allow Virtual Private Connections,
    and then click Next.
    8. Click to select the check boxes for the users whom you want
    to be able to authenticate when the device connects to the
    computer, and then click Next.
    9. Make sure that the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is
    selected, click Next, and then click Finish.
    ****************

    And the modem in fact answers the call and authenticates you?

    If not - maybe the above is what you needed and I misunderstood before.

    If the above assumption is correct - then my first suggestion would be to
    update the modem drivers on both systems from the modem manufacturer
    themselves. Secondly - I still suggest you limit the experience level to
    that of a 28.8 modem when connecting in this way.

    And yes - I was referring to the way I help many family members who in fact
    use Dial-Up. I can connect to them and help them while I am on broadband
    and the performance is tolerable. I originally thought your question was
    more centered around on what to expect (performance-wise) with such a
    connection.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi Shenan,

    yes, I had setup the dial-up and RAS on the respective PCs. The Dial-up
    connection works, it's just that the Remote access just keeps failing during
    the login. The log file did not register any error. I'll try your suggestion
    to update the modem drivers and try again.

    2nd question, how did you do the broadband to the dial-up remote access as
    you mentioned? If I could switch to what you say, it'll also be a great help
    to me.

    regards,
    Edwin Cheng

Remote Access Connection Windows XP