Violating License agreement using Remote Desktop

Hello,

We develop software application and sell single copy per workstation.
Recently we noticed that there are some witty clients that buy just one
license of the product, install it on Windows Server 2003 and use more that
one copy of the program on different PCs via Remote Desktop violating our
license agreement.

How can we detect whether the started application has been run through
Remote Desktop?

P.S.: In most cases the logged Windows accounts running our program doesn't
have Administrative rights.

Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about violating license agreement remote desktop

    Make your application detect another running instance of itself.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Mario Berberian wrote:
    > How can we detect whether the started application has been run through
    > Remote Desktop?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getsystemmetrics.asp

    See SM_REMOTESESSION value.

    I will note that this might not be quite what you want to do, anyway.
    Should *one* user be prohibited from running your program remotely? People
    do that -- I access both my home and office computers over RD every day and
    would be quite annoyed by a piece of software that refused to run that way.

    Another approach might be checking that all instances of your application
    are being run under the same Windows user account. While that leaves the
    possibility for multiple terminal services users logging in with the same
    account, the defaults don't make that easy and the security implications
    should discourage most businesses from doing that.

    I am sure there's an API that can uniquely identify remote sessions and
    enable you to distinguish between one user running several instances of the
    app over RD and several users running it, even if they are logged in with
    the same account -- but that might take some research to find.

    --
    Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)

    Maybe I have to explain the problem further, because this solution doesn`t
    resolve our problem.
    The client can run as many instances of the program as he wants but just on
    the PC that has that licence.
    Take for example the Microsoft Office Package. If I`ve bought it I could run
    many copies of it on my PC but if somebody use my Office programs via Remote
    Desktop he violates the licence agreement with Microsoft.
    How can I prevent those remote users run our software product remotely?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Mario Berberian" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We develop software application and sell single copy per workstation.
    > Recently we noticed that there are some witty clients that buy just one
    > license of the product, install it on Windows Server 2003 and use more
    > that one copy of the program on different PCs via Remote Desktop violating
    > our license agreement.
    >
    > How can we detect whether the started application has been run through
    > Remote Desktop?
    >
    > P.S.: In most cases the logged Windows accounts running our program
    > doesn't have Administrative rights.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Hello to you too!

    I don't understand how this violates your lic agreement. Is it specifically
    stated in your agreement that someone can't use RD? And, why not? If
    they're RDing into their workstation, then no one else can use that
    workstation, so only one user is still using the software from that
    workstation. If I buy your program, and install it on my workstation (with
    an appropriate lic agreement of course), shouldn't I be able to use it even
    if I log in via RD from a sailboat in the British Virgin Islands?

    Isn't your gripe with client who buys one copy and then installs it on a
    bunch of computers, regardless if they use RD or not? But then, that
    doesn't really have anything to do with RD, right?

    I don't have any answers but I also don't see how RD is the problem.
    ron

    "Mario Berberian" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > We develop software application and sell single copy per workstation.
    > Recently we noticed that there are some witty clients that buy just one
    > license of the product, install it on Windows Server 2003 and use more
    > that one copy of the program on different PCs via Remote Desktop violating
    > our license agreement.
    >
    > How can we detect whether the started application has been run through
    > Remote Desktop?
    >
    > P.S.: In most cases the logged Windows accounts running our program
    > doesn't have Administrative rights.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

    I want to go further in the problem because it seems to me it`s a crucial
    problem for commercial software products.

    Ron,I guess you didn't catch my idea.
    When you have Windows 2003 Server (not XP Pro), you can log into that server
    with more than one remote connections. The XpPro doesn't allow this. This is
    the point where the user can violate the licence agreement.
    Take a look at the following situation:

    John buys 1 copy of our program and he is allowed to install it on 1 PC
    only.
    He installs it on Windows 2003 Server (thats not a problem) - PC1.
    Lets say Emilly has a computer PC2 and George has one too - PC3.
    The problem comes when Emilly and George log into the server simultaneously
    using Remote Desktop and start using our program. Both PC2 and PC3 log into
    PC1.
    If only 1 person logged into the server (PC1) uses our program thats OK, but
    I'm talking about the situation when more than 1 person logs into the server
    and uses the program installed there (two or more persons are using one
    purchased copy of the program).

    I believe there are lots of software companies also facing the same problem,
    and still wonder what solution have they found.

    Best Regards.

    Mario Berberian wrote:
    > Take a look at the following situation:
    >
    > John buys 1 copy of our program and he is allowed to install it on 1
    > PC only.
    > He installs it on Windows 2003 Server (thats not a problem) - PC1.
    > Lets say Emilly has a computer PC2 and George has one too - PC3.
    > The problem comes when Emilly and George log into the server
    > simultaneously using Remote Desktop and start using our program. Both
    > PC2 and PC3 log into PC1.

    So - if the process is already running - why doesn't your application check
    for this and refuse to run?
    Also - is the wording of your license agreement in question? Did you
    license it per computer/CPU or per user? Is that clear in your license
    agreement? If you licensed it per computer - thanks - I will be running it
    multiple times if I want - because you licensed it per computer.. (BTW -
    yes - they can (unsupported and likely also breaking some agreement) make
    Windows XP accept multiple Remote Desktop connections.

    > If only 1 person logged into the server (PC1) uses our program thats
    > OK, but I'm talking about the situation when more than 1 person logs
    > into the server and uses the program installed there (two or more
    > persons are using one purchased copy of the program).

    Again - this is a coding issue - the process itself runs on the server -
    therefore if the application detects it is already running (no matter the
    user context) then iot should refuse to run if that is what you wish your
    licensing to be.

    > I believe there are lots of software companies also facing the same
    > problem, and still wonder what solution have they found.

    Likely better coding to check for already running instances of the
    application.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi Mario

    Okay, I didn't know that Win2003 Server allows you to have more than one RD
    working. How inconvenient for you...and nice to know from my point of view
    without having to do any research. Thanks.

    Okay, so it needs to happen within your ap. You need a file in your
    database that everyone has to go through in order to obtain access to your
    program. Said file's job is to count the concurrent users, then compare
    that number to the number of licenses purchased, and the first (and
    subsequent) user that logs on that's beyond the licenses they've bought is
    kindly told to wait until one of the existing users logs out (or purchase
    more user licenses--a marketing spiel!). It's gotta happen within your
    program though as it sounds like you want the program to be multi-user, but
    just want to be able to limit the users to the number of licenses they've
    bought (thus being unable to bounce someone out just because another
    instance of the program is already running).

    Good luck!
    ron

    > Thank you guys for all your suggestions.
    >
    > I want to go further in the problem because it seems to me it`s a crucial
    > problem for commercial software products.
    >
    > Ron,I guess you didn't catch my idea.
    > When you have Windows 2003 Server (not XP Pro), you can log into that
    > server with more than one remote connections. The XpPro doesn't allow
    > this. This is the point where the user can violate the licence agreement.
    > Take a look at the following situation:
    >
    > John buys 1 copy of our program and he is allowed to install it on 1 PC
    > only.
    > He installs it on Windows 2003 Server (thats not a problem) - PC1.
    > Lets say Emilly has a computer PC2 and George has one too - PC3.
    > The problem comes when Emilly and George log into the server
    > simultaneously using Remote Desktop and start using our program. Both PC2
    > and PC3 log into PC1.
    > If only 1 person logged into the server (PC1) uses our program thats OK,
    > but I'm talking about the situation when more than 1 person logs into the
    > server and uses the program installed there (two or more persons are using
    > one purchased copy of the program).
    >
    > I believe there are lots of software companies also facing the same
    > problem, and still wonder what solution have they found.
    >
    > Best Regards.
    >

    > "Ron" <ronSPAMBLOCKERwest777@earthlink.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello to you too!
    >>
    >> I don't understand how this violates your lic agreement. Is it
    >> specifically stated in your agreement that someone can't use RD? And,
    >> why not? If they're RDing into their workstation, then no one else can
    >> use that workstation, so only one user is still using the software from
    >> that workstation. If I buy your program, and install it on my
    >> workstation (with an appropriate lic agreement of course), shouldn't I be
    >> able to use it even if I log in via RD from a sailboat in the British
    >> Virgin Islands?
    >>
    >> Isn't your gripe with client who buys one copy and then installs it on a
    >> bunch of computers, regardless if they use RD or not? But then, that
    >> doesn't really have anything to do with RD, right?
    >>
    >> I don't have any answers but I also don't see how RD is the problem.
    >> ron
    >>
    >> "Mario Berberian" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> We develop software application and sell single copy per workstation.
    >>> Recently we noticed that there are some witty clients that buy just one
    >>> license of the product, install it on Windows Server 2003 and use more
    >>> that one copy of the program on different PCs via Remote Desktop
    >>> violating our license agreement.
    >>>
    >>> How can we detect whether the started application has been run through
    >>> Remote Desktop?
    >>>
    >>> P.S.: In most cases the logged Windows accounts running our program
    >>> doesn't have Administrative rights.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance

Remote Desktop License Windows XP