secure RDC using stunnel or other

Any tips using RDC over a secure connection? Is this necessary?
Does a RDC connection exchange data that could be sniffed?

The native RDP data stream is encrypted...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/remote_desktop_protocol.asp

With that said some folks, including myself, run RDP through a SSH, SSL or
VPN tunnel. I recently (as of today) started running RDP sessions to my home
LAN through a SSL VPN tunnel.

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"looped" <none@available.com> wrote in message
> Any tips using RDC over a secure connection? Is this necessary?
> Does a RDC connection exchange data that could be sniffed?

I'm glad you like that program.... I find it useful for the people in
our accounting group to access their computers remotely. :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:25:21 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>The native RDP data stream is encrypted...
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/remote_desktop_protocol.asp
>
>With that said some folks, including myself, run RDP through a SSH, SSL or
>VPN tunnel. I recently (as of today) started running RDP sessions to my home
>LAN through a SSL VPN tunnel.
>
>http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
>
>http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>
>http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Reply to message from "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.
com> (Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:12:17) about "Re: secure RDC using stunnel or other":

Yep... Its easy to setup/configure and use...

> I'm glad you like that program.... I find it useful for the people in our accounting
> group to access their computers remotely. :)
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP) jeffreyr-
> support@remotenetworktechnology.com http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
> http://www. remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:25:21 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>> The native RDP data stream is encrypted...

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en- us/termserv/termserv/remote_ desktop_protocol.
>> asp

>> With that said some folks, including myself, run RDP through a SSH, SSL or VPN tunnel.
>> I recently (as of today) started running RDP sessions to my home LAN through a SSL VPN
>> tunnel.

>> http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/
>> RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ networking/xp_vpn_server.htm http://
>> www.onecomputerguy.com/ networking/xp_vpn.htm

Later...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC