AOL and Logon using dial-up networking

Hi,

I don't know much about AOL, but I know they're /different/

I've set up a XP PC to connect to the LAN (NT4 domain) over a PPTP VPN. No
problems if I connect after I've connected to AOL, just connect and most
stuff works. However to get the full benefits of working remotely, I want to
logon using dial-up networking.

How do I do this if there's no dial-up connectoid to use to get me onto the
Internet first?

I would be grateful for any help. I'm not able to switch ISPs from AOL. I've
been told I can get a router and connect to AOL permanently, is this the
case, and would this be the best option?

Thanks in advance,
SW
1
answer
Last reply
More about logon dial networking

    "S W" <dontspam@no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know much about AOL, but I know they're /different/
    >
    > I've set up a XP PC to connect to the LAN (NT4 domain) over a PPTP VPN. No
    > problems if I connect after I've connected to AOL, just connect and most
    > stuff works. However to get the full benefits of working remotely, I want
    > to logon using dial-up networking.
    >
    > How do I do this if there's no dial-up connectoid to use to get me onto
    > the Internet first?
    >
    > I would be grateful for any help. I'm not able to switch ISPs from AOL.
    > I've been told I can get a router and connect to AOL permanently, is this
    > the case, and would this be the best option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > SW

    I've just rung AOL tech support and been told that VPN is not possible using
    AOL, even when connected with a router!
    I would accept this incredible piece of info as being typical of AOL but I
    know someone who does just that anyway. I guess he meant really that they
    (aol tech support) wouldn't support it.
    Or he just didn't know...

Connection AOL Dial Up Connection Windows XP