Opening .CHM files over the network

I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?
3 answers Last reply
More about opening files network

    What happens when you try to open it? What error do you get?
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:51:02 -0700, "Keith Rees"
    <KeithRees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
    >it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
    >file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
    >Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?

    Keith,

    > I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
    > it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
    > file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
    > Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?

    One of the Windows security updates that Microsoft released a few weeks
    ago blocks access to HTML Help files stored on shared network drives.
    (Local files are unaffected.) You can read more about this here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896054

    The solution should be to use one of the "Method 2" workarounds
    described in this article to remove the block on help files in the
    Local Intranet zone. For example, you could try saving the following
    text to a file called "MaxAllowedZone.reg" and then running this on
    your machine.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\M­icrosoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRest­rictions]

    "MaxAllowedZone"=dword:0000000­1

    Pete

    That's a good one to remember... :)
    ---

    On 11 Jul 2005 08:33:56 -0700, PD.Lees@btinternet.com wrote:

    >Keith,
    >
    >> I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
    >> it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
    >> file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
    >> Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?
    >
    >One of the Windows security updates that Microsoft released a few weeks
    >ago blocks access to HTML Help files stored on shared network drives.
    >(Local files are unaffected.) You can read more about this here:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896054
    >
    >The solution should be to use one of the "Method 2" workarounds
    >described in this article to remove the block on help files in the
    >Local Intranet zone. For example, you could try saving the following
    >text to a file called "MaxAllowedZone.reg" and then running this on
    >your machine.
    >
    >REGEDIT4
    >
    >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\M­icrosoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRest­rictions]
    >
    >"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:0000000­1
    >
    >Pete

Microsoft Windows XP