Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 28, 2005 5:51:02 PM

I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?

More about : opening chm files network

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:11:11 AM

What happens when you try to open it? What error do you get?
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:51:02 -0700, "Keith Rees"
<KeithRees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
>it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
>file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
>Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:33:56 PM

Keith,

> I have a CHM file that I can open it if I copy it locally to my machine, but
> it will not open from a network shared drive. I have full permissions to the
> file where it is stored. I am running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
> Do I have to enable something in XP to view CHM files that are on a network?

One of the Windows security updates that Microsoft released a few weeks
ago blocks access to HTML Help files stored on shared network drives.
(Local files are unaffected.) You can read more about this here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896054

The solution should be to use one of the "Method 2" workarounds
described in this article to remove the block on help files in the
Local Intranet zone. For example, you could try saving the following
text to a file called "MaxAllowedZone.reg" and then running this on
your machine.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\M­icrosoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRest­rictions]

"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:0000000­1

Pete
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:29:42 AM