Remote assistance not working

June 29, 2005 4:28:06 AM

Hi.

Using the manual method of inviting a friend via email, I have been unable
to connect to a friend's computer once I've been invited. The message that
comes up is...

"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
host name could not be resolved. Please try again."

Has anyone seen this before?

Cheers
June 29, 2005 1:52:03 PM

I am getting the same error while trying to use MSN Messenger to connect for
remote assistance. It will work in one direction but will not work in the
other. I get the following error:

Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
host name could not be resolved. Please try again

Any ideas would be greately appreciated.
Skidd

"Philip Johns" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Using the manual method of inviting a friend via email, I have been unable
> to connect to a friend's computer once I've been invited. The message that
> comes up is...
>
> "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
> host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Cheers

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:10:04 AM

The person requesting help is behind a non-UPNP compliant router...
In order to make this work, the "friend" will need to forward TCP Port
3389 to his computer in his router and he/she would need to tell you
their "public" address (http://whatismyip.org)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:28:06 +0100, "Philip Johns"
<phil@mannaforlife.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>Using the manual method of inviting a friend via email, I have been unable
>to connect to a friend's computer once I've been invited. The message that
>comes up is...
>
>"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
>host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
>
>Has anyone seen this before?
>
>Cheers

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:10:41 AM

The person requesting help is behind a non-UPNP compliant router...
In order to make this work, the "friend" will need to forward TCP Port
3389 to his computer in his router and he/she would need to tell you
their "public" address (http://whatismyip.org)

Remote Assistance through MSN also requires UPNP to work as required.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)