What determines encoding speed?

I currently have a Geforce MX440 (64MB), a 2.4GHz Pentium processor and
512MB of DDR ram.

If I want to increase the speed of my encoding programs (TMPGEnc etc),
should I upgrade my video card, CPU or memory?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

metaphorng

metaphorng wrote ...
>I currently have a Geforce MX440 (64MB), a 2.4GHz Pentium
> processor and 512MB of DDR ram.
>
> If I want to increase the speed of my encoding programs (TMPGEnc
> etc), should I upgrade my video card, CPU or memory?

Despite what the video card vendors hype, your video card
plays NO part in this function. You could use the cheapest
and slowest video card avilable and it would not change the
encoding speed a bit.

The CPU likely plays the largest part, but beware of having
a bottleneck elsewhere (like hard drives/controllers). More
memory *might* increase the speed, but not as much as a
faster CPU.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> metaphorng wrote ...
>>I currently have a Geforce MX440 (64MB), a 2.4GHz Pentium processor and
>>512MB of DDR ram.
>>
>> If I want to increase the speed of my encoding programs (TMPGEnc etc),
>> should I upgrade my video card, CPU or memory?
>
> Despite what the video card vendors hype, your video card plays NO part in
> this function. You could use the cheapest and slowest video card avilable
> and it would not change the encoding speed a bit.
>
> The CPU likely plays the largest part, but beware of having
> a bottleneck elsewhere (like hard drives/controllers). More
> memory *might* increase the speed, but not as much as a
> faster CPU.

Right, and it is a good idea to have two drives and take
care to input off one drive then output to the other. If the
process builds a temporary file, remember to take it into
account. (First it's an output then it's an input, so you
could have a process that inputs data off drive D: and
builds a temporary file on drive C:, then inputs from the
temporary file and outputs to drive D:).

Also, don't forget to "Defrag" your drives regularly, it
can have a much bigger impact on some processes,
than on others. You should give it a little higher priority
than the routine user.

Luck;
Ken

>I currently have a Geforce MX440 (64MB), a 2.4GHz Pentium processor and
>512MB of DDR ram.
>
>If I want to increase the speed of my encoding programs (TMPGEnc etc),
>should I upgrade my video card, CPU or memory?
>
>Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.
>
>metaphorng

Definately the CPU. However, if you SIGNIFICANTLY want to increase the
encoding speed, look for a board that does the MPEG encoding in
hardware. By doing so you can realise encoding speeds which are some
times shorter than realtime.

HTH

Markus