Video cropped after using Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder

I'm using Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder to convert avi's to DVD - I'm
selecting DVD in the Output menu and PAL in the Video menu (I'm in the
UK).

I'm authoring using TMPGEnc DVD Author, and when I play back the DVD in
Windows Media Player, it's fine, but in my standalone DVD player the
edges are cropped off on the TV (I'm missing a couple of inches on each
side).

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.

metaphorng@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I'm using Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder to convert avi's to DVD - I'm
> selecting DVD in the Output menu and PAL in the Video menu (I'm in the
> UK).
>
> I'm authoring using TMPGEnc DVD Author, and when I play back the DVD in
> Windows Media Player, it's fine, but in my standalone DVD player the
> edges are cropped off on the TV (I'm missing a couple of inches on each
> side).
>
> Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.

What you're noticing is perfectly normal, just that you've never had to
deal with it before. When you're shooting (and, more importantly,
creating titles), you have to allow for something called Safe Action
Area and Safe Title Area.
The recommended standard is a 5% border for action and a 10% border
for titles all the way around the image. This ensures that whatever
you shoot will be displayed on a regular TV screen without being cut
off.
Professional cameras have a marker that can be turned on to show the
shooter these areas and allow him/her to stay inside them. Most
consumer camcorders unfortunately don't offer this feature.
Also, most NLEs have a grid that can be superimposed on your screen
during editing to show you what might not be displayed.
Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> metaphorng@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> I'm using Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder to convert avi's to DVD - I'm
>> selecting DVD in the Output menu and PAL in the Video menu (I'm in
>> the UK).
>>
>> I'm authoring using TMPGEnc DVD Author, and when I play back the DVD
>> in Windows Media Player, it's fine, but in my standalone DVD player
>> the edges are cropped off on the TV (I'm missing a couple of inches
>> on each side).
>>
>> Any ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.
>

> What you're noticing is perfectly normal, just that you've never had
> to deal with it before. When you're shooting (and, more importantly,
> creating titles), you have to allow for something called Safe Action
> Area and Safe Title Area.
> The recommended standard is a 5% border for action and a 10% border
> for titles all the way around the image. This ensures that whatever
> you shoot will be displayed on a regular TV screen without being cut
> off.
> Professional cameras have a marker that can be turned on to show the
> shooter these areas and allow him/her to stay inside them. Most
> consumer camcorders unfortunately don't offer this feature.
> Also, most NLEs have a grid that can be superimposed on your screen
> during editing to show you what might not be displayed.
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> Mike

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page at
http://www.internetcampus.org/tvp020.htm to see an example of what I was
talking about as far as Safe Area markings are concerned.

Mike