Cant capture video over Firewire to IBM laptop...

Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
Windows XP SP2.
Situation:
1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems.
The camcorder does not have USB.
2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type
II firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an
installed device.
3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
occured' and it won't bring the movie in.
-- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
existing video clips.
5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get
another
error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
message: 'Class not registered'
6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop
BIOS setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to
Disable) ... but it doesn't work.
7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed
Media Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't
capture.
Also, and I don't know if this is related, the program U-Lead
Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II
card).

Thanks in advance for any help...
Jon

rs

Jon in San Diego wrote:
> Problem connecting a Canon GL1 camcorder via SIIG Combo USB 2.0 &
> Firewire type II card S/N: JW7S40000589 JU-NPC012 to an IBM T40 laptop,
> Windows XP SP2.
> Situation:
> 1. The camcorder sends a movie via Firewire to a Mac without problems.
> The camcorder does not have USB.
> 2. On the IBM T40 laptop, the camcorder plugs into a SIIG Cardbus Type
> II firewire card ... and the laptop recognizes the camcorder as an
> installed device.
> 3. When you open Windows Moviemaker (or MS Producer, or Windows
> Encoder), it shows that the camcorder is attached, and lets you control
> the camcorder to rewind the tape from software.
> 4. But when you tell it to capture the movie (in my test, a short
> 30-sec. clip) ... you get an error message 'An unknown error has
> occured' and it won't bring the movie in.
> -- Moviemaker otherwise works properly... lets me make movies from
> existing video clips.
> 5. In Windows Media Encoder, Capture Live Video, after properly going
> through all the setup screens before the actual capture, you get
> another
> error message: 'Class not registered 0x80040154'
> 6. In Microsoft Producer, using Capture / Video with Audio, this error
> message: 'Class not registered'
> 6. Tried SIIG Cardbus tech support:
> http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050856 ... change IBM T40 laptop
> BIOS setting (Config>Power>PCI Bus Power Management from Automatic to
> Disable) ... but it doesn't work.
> 7. Uninstalled Windows Media Encoder 9, rebooted laptop, installed
> Media Encoder 9, rebooted again... still get error message, can't
> capture.
> Also, and I don't know if this is related, the program U-Lead
> Video Editor 7 will not install (it came with the Cardbus Type II
> card).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help...
> Jon

Curious problem. Do you know why Ulead Video Editor 7 won't install? Any
kind of remotely informative message pop up when it bombs off?

Try the demo of Scenalyzer
http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html