Motion tracking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2005 5:09:08 PM

Is it possible to track an object in a video within a certain area?

For example, tracking the motion of a toy car within a patch of area on
the floor. As long as the car is in this area, a "timer" will run. Once
the car leaves this area, the timer will cease. When the car enters
again, the timer will continue.

In other words, this thing will track how long a car is in a certain
spot. Is that possible?

Any help would be appreciated. I have access to both Adobe Premiere and
Adobe After Effects. However, I can obtain other software if necessary.

More about : motion tracking

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:08:46 PM

<joshdelman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to track an object in a video within a certain area?
>
> For example, tracking the motion of a toy car within a patch of area on
> the floor. As long as the car is in this area, a "timer" will run. Once
> the car leaves this area, the timer will cease. When the car enters
> again, the timer will continue.
>
> In other words, this thing will track how long a car is in a certain
> spot. Is that possible?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I have access to both Adobe Premiere and
> Adobe After Effects. However, I can obtain other software if necessary.

It sounds like the earlier posters have your answer, but
just in case you might want to look in a different direction.
I remember reading of surveillance software that allowed
you to define areas of a scene to be triggers for "event"
tracking. Perhaps a search for such software could be
of some value.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:20:35 AM

On 23 Aug 2005 13:09:08 -0700, joshdelman@gmail.com wrote:

>Any help would be appreciated. I have access to both Adobe Premiere and
>Adobe After Effects. However, I can obtain other software if necessary.

AE can do the job. However the tracking will stop when the subject leaves
the screen. In Combustion you just restart the tracking where the subject
re-enters the screen. I am sure in AE you can do the same thing as they are
each others competitors (if not, someone will tell us ;-) ).
If it is all to do with the eact time, you would have to do the maths
yourself, by looking at the frame-counter where the object starts, goes off
the screen, comes back, etc etc

cheers

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"
August 24, 2005 3:33:04 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:08:46 -0500, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I remember reading of surveillance software that allowed
>you to define areas of a scene to be triggers for "event"
>tracking. Perhaps a search for such software could be
>of some value.

With motion-tracking like in e.g. Combustion, you have one or more trackers
(the amount depending on the type of tracking you want to do). Each tracker
has a cross-hair and a square. You put the cross-hair on the area which you
want to track. Usually this is an area which stays in shot all the time,
and has a strong contrast and is not covered by anything during the shot.
The square is the "search-area" in which the movement is being followed.
The larger the search-area, the more inaccurate the movement can be, but
this requires longer calculation-times (which with fast computers nowadays
is less of a problem).
Once you set-up all your markers, you hit "track" and the point which you
want to "track", is being followed by the tracker, within it's perimeters.
Sometimes the track makes an error, but it's easy to go back, erase from
that point where it went wrong, and restart, or make a manual adjustment.
So, this is what programs like Combustion, After Effects, Shake, Boujou etc
do. No need to search for something separately anymore, if you have AE.

cheers

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"
Anonymous

>Is it possible to track an object in a video within a certain area?
>
>For example, tracking the motion of a toy car within a patch of area on
>the floor. As long as the car is in this area, a "timer" will run. Once
>the car leaves this area, the timer will cease. When the car enters
>again, the timer will continue.
>
>In other words, this thing will track how long a car is in a certain
>spot. Is that possible?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. I have access to both Adobe Premiere and
>Adobe After Effects. However, I can obtain other software if necessary.

Depending on what you intend to do, you could do this completely
without a PC. If you intend to create a video having these effects the
link below is useless. If you intend to automate / controll anything
depending on such a cars behaviour the link below might be a good
start.

http://www.jrobot.net

HTH

Markus
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:29:02 PM

"Martin Heffels" <biz@thisproductworks.com.> wrote in message
news:o 31ng1p7ghif3og85iln6iunv17ha1h1lt@4ax.com...
> On 23 Aug 2005 13:09:08 -0700, joshdelman@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Any help would be appreciated. I have access to both Adobe Premiere and
>>Adobe After Effects. However, I can obtain other software if necessary.
>
> AE can do the job. However the tracking will stop when the subject leaves
> the screen. In Combustion you just restart the tracking where the subject
> re-enters the screen. I am sure in AE you can do the same thing as they
> are
> each others competitors (if not, someone will tell us ;-) ).
> If it is all to do with the eact time, you would have to do the maths
> yourself, by looking at the frame-counter where the object starts, goes
> off
> the screen, comes back, etc etc

AE actually has a setting now that will extrapolate the objects motion based
on the in-scene motion.

This, obviously, won't account for the object turning around but it makes
the transition to off-scene smoother and it doesn't just stop at the edge
leaving you to decide how to get your tracing video off-scene.

There's a few other parameters in there that I haven't messed with too.

Tom P.
!