VHS Tape Copyright Protected??

I'm using a Dazzle DV Bridge to capture home recorded VHS tapes. I'm
trying to capture a tape of a sporting event broadcast on ABC about
twenty years ago. I successfully captured from another tape, but on
this one I keep getting an error message from Ulead VideoStudio that
says "cannot capture file because it is copyright protected".

How is this possible and is there a workaround?

TIA

"Registered User" wrote...
> I'm using a Dazzle DV Bridge to capture home recorded
> VHS tapes. I'm trying to capture a tape of a sporting event
> broadcast on ABC about twenty years ago. I successfully
> captured from another tape, but on this one I keep getting
> an error message from Ulead VideoStudio that says "cannot
> capture file because it is copyright protected".

Sometimes an old, crummy tape has artifacts that make
equipment *think* the tape is Macrovision protected.
Most people use a device called a "timebase corrector"
(TBC) to "clean up" the video and allow decent capture.

Of course the TBC does not solve the legal issue of whether
you have permission to use ABC's intellectual property.

> Of course the TBC does not solve the legal issue of whether
> you have permission to use ABC's intellectual property.

20 year time shifting is protected under fair use.

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

>> Of course the TBC does not solve the legal issue of whether
>> you have permission to use ABC's intellectual property.
>>

> 20 year time shifting is protected under fair use.

Viewing the original tape is "time-shifting" and is allowed.

Making a copy of the tape is NOT "time-shifting" and is
NOT protected.

You could probably use a SIMA CT-2. They are about $80.

Ad making a copy of the tape to time shift it for personal use for
another 20 years IS fair use.

Cheers...

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:55:19 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:

>"Registered User" wrote...
>> I'm using a Dazzle DV Bridge to capture home recorded
>> VHS tapes. I'm trying to capture a tape of a sporting event
>> broadcast on ABC about twenty years ago. I successfully
>> captured from another tape, but on this one I keep getting
>> an error message from Ulead VideoStudio that says "cannot
>> capture file because it is copyright protected".
>
>Sometimes an old, crummy tape has artifacts that make
>equipment *think* the tape is Macrovision protected.
>Most people use a device called a "timebase corrector"
>(TBC) to "clean up" the video and allow decent capture.
>
>Of course the TBC does not solve the legal issue of whether
>you have permission to use ABC's intellectual property.

Thanks for the info. The tape doesn't look too bad on playback, but
that must be what's happening. ABC didn't complain when I recorded the
show twenty years ago, so I think they're cool with it. Besides, it's
for personal veiwing, not for profit. And I was only guessing at which
network it was.

I can't afford a TBC, so I'll have to forget that tape, I suppose.

"Mark Burns" wrote ...
> You could probably use a SIMA CT-2. They are about $80.
>
> Ad making a copy of the tape to time shift it for personal
> use for another 20 years IS fair use.

Prove it. Cite chapter and verse that exempts personal
copying of copyright-protected video from the copyright
law. It is no more legal than copying DVDs.

"Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message

> "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> Of course the TBC does not solve the legal issue of whether
>>> you have permission to use ABC's intellectual property.
>>>

>> 20 year time shifting is protected under fair use.
>
> Viewing the original tape is "time-shifting" and is allowed.
>
> Making a copy of the tape is NOT "time-shifting" and is
> NOT protected.

It is protected if the original tape was not viewed. Further, the original
copyright law has provisions for backup.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> "Mark Burns" wrote ...
>> You could probably use a SIMA CT-2. They are about $80.
>>
>> Ad making a copy of the tape to time shift it for personal use for
>> another 20 years IS fair use.
>
> Prove it. Cite chapter and verse that exempts personal
> copying of copyright-protected video from the copyright
> law. It is no more legal than copying DVDs.

You are wrong. Please read carefully at www.eff.org. YOU prove that it is
illegal!

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:54:55 -0400, Registered User <not@today.com>
wrote:

>I'm using a Dazzle DV Bridge to capture home recorded VHS tapes. I'm
>trying to capture a tape of a sporting event broadcast on ABC about
>twenty years ago. I successfully captured from another tape, but on
>this one I keep getting an error message from Ulead VideoStudio that
>says "cannot capture file because it is copyright protected".
>
>How is this possible and is there a workaround?
>
>TIA

digital video stabilizer
http://tinyurl.com/dkkba

> "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> >> 20 year time shifting is protected under fair use.
> >
> > Viewing the original tape is "time-shifting" and is allowed.
> >
> > Making a copy of the tape is NOT "time-shifting" and is
> > NOT protected.
> >

> It is protected if the original tape was not viewed. Further, the
original
> copyright law has provisions for backup.

I don't know where people get this stuff.

Wrong, on both counts.

"Mark Burns" <marcus520520@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You could probably use a SIMA CT-2. They are about $80.
>
> Ad making a copy of the tape to time shift it for personal use for
> another 20 years IS fair use.

1. He's not time-shifting.
2. The fact that it's for personal use doesn't mean it's fair use.

> Cheers...

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> "Mark Burns" wrote ...
> > You could probably use a SIMA CT-2. They are about $80.
> >
> > Ad making a copy of the tape to time shift it for personal
> > use for another 20 years IS fair use.
>
> Prove it. Cite chapter and verse that exempts personal
> copying of copyright-protected video from the copyright
> law. It is no more legal than copying DVDs.

You're right on the money, Richard. This "if it's personal use it's legal"
urban myth needs to die a quick death.

You are the attorney.

Please cite a case where someone was prosecuted for copying their OTA
tape to another tape, CD, or DVD for their private viewing. I have
read and seen many cases where people have been charged with illegal
distribution. I don't doubt that one could be sued, but I doubt that
even a conservative Supreme Court would condone the invasion of a man's
castle to wrest a marginal personel memory based upon vague copyright
claims. And they are just that, claims.

Fair Use is an affirmitive defense. There are countless reasons to
want to maintain a copy of that broadcast. It might be the last
football game that he and his father watched together. It may be that
there was someone in the broadcast that he knew. These are personal
reasons. I have no reason why the OP would want to keep an old ABC
broadcast, and would never pry. Nor would I condemn.

Historicaly, copyright is not the exclusive right to copy material, it
is the exclusive right to distribute material. This goes back to the
days of the first printing presses. School children used to learn to
read and write by hand copying copyrighted material from books that
they could not legally distribute.

Copyright laws were made to serve the public good, not to serve the
private greed. Certainly greed can be a postitive influence on the
marketplace, but the laws were never meant to create intellectual
property or condone the hoarding of material from the public. As I
recall, when "Laurence Of Arabia" was remastered by David Lean back in
the late 80's, many of the frames used in the mastering process came
from private copies, and some were unauthorized copies that had been
released to theatres and never picked back up. The studio had let
their copies rot in tin cans on the shelf. No one prosecuted those
private owners, and they had less claim on their material than someone
who copied an ABC broadcast 20 years ago onto their own video tape.

Personaly, I wish that everyone was an archivest, at least of those
things that they found the most dear, for whatever silly human
sentimental reason. History and posterity are both served by this. I
sincerely hope that the OP successfully trasfers his tape for whatever
historical or personal purpose that he has.

Transporting ones legally obtained memories from ones own property to
ones own property is nothing more than ones own business. This is not
anarchism, it is simply liberty.

Cheers...

P.S. Isn't there some Latin phrase that says that the law does not
trifle with trifles?

> You are the attorney.
>
> Please cite a case where someone was prosecuted for copying their OTA
> tape to another tape, CD, or DVD for their private viewing.

You're talking apples and oranges. Whether someone has been sued has
nothing to do with whether the law permits the kind of conduct you've
described.

> I have
> read and seen many cases where people have been charged with illegal
> distribution. I don't doubt that one could be sued, but I doubt that
> even a conservative Supreme Court would condone the invasion of a man's
> castle to wrest a marginal personel memory based upon vague copyright
> claims. And they are just that, claims.

The prohibition on illegal search and seizure contained in the 4th amendment
is a restriction on GOVERNMENT action, not on private action. You most
certainly can be sued for what you do in your home.

Again, you're talking about whether someone would be caught, or whether
someone would be sued -- entirely different questions than whether what
you've advocated is legal. It is not. Period.

> Fair Use is an affirmitive defense.

That's right. So?

> There are countless reasons to
> want to maintain a copy of that broadcast. It might be the last
> football game that he and his father watched together. It may be that
> there was someone in the broadcast that he knew. These are personal
> reasons.

None of which are relevant to a fair use defense. Fair use does not
consider why a person wanted to make an unauthorized copy, but how the copy
was used.

> I have no reason why the OP would want to keep an old ABC
> broadcast, and would never pry. Nor would I condemn.

I don't condemn. I merely corrected your erroneous contention, i.e. that
personal use was fair use.

> Historicaly, copyright is not the exclusive right to copy material, it
> is the exclusive right to distribute material.

No, historically, it was the exclusive right copy, at in the tradition of US
law which began with the Statute of Anne.

> This goes back to the
> days of the first printing presses.

No, it goes back to the Statute of Anne in 1710, which was a long time after
the invention of printing presses.

> School children used to learn to
> read and write by hand copying copyrighted material from books that
> they could not legally distribute.

You can make up whatever you like, just as you've made up your "personal use
= fair use" doctrine -- it's still incorrect.

> Copyright laws were made to serve the public good, not to serve the
> private greed.

Copyright laws were made as an incentive to creation -- it allows authors to
keep the fruits of their intellectual labors, and therefore encourages them
to produce more. In the U.S., copyright is authorized by Article I, Section
8 of the Constitution, which permits Congress, "To promote the progress of
science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and
inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries."

As I said, you can make up whatever you want, but you're simply incorrect.

> Certainly greed can be a postitive influence on the
> marketplace, but the laws were never meant to create intellectual
> property or condone the hoarding of material from the public.

Completely wrong. What do you think, "exclusive right to their respective
writings" means? An author has an absolute right to withhold material from
the public -- if you think I'm wrong, go down to Blockbusters and try to
rent the film version of Catcher in the Rye. Hint: there's never been one.

> As I
> recall, when "Laurence Of Arabia" was remastered by David Lean back in
> the late 80's, many of the frames used in the mastering process came
> from private copies, and some were unauthorized copies that had been
> released to theatres and never picked back up. The studio had let
> their copies rot in tin cans on the shelf. No one prosecuted those
> private owners, and they had less claim on their material than someone
> who copied an ABC broadcast 20 years ago onto their own video tape.

Ownership of unauthorized copies isn't illegal. Copyright, in the US,
secures for a copyright owner protection against unauthorized copying,
distribution, preparation of derivative works and public performance. See
17 U.S.C. Sec. 106. It is perfectly legal to own unauthorized copies.

> Personaly, I wish that everyone was an archivest, at least of those
> things that they found the most dear, for whatever silly human
> sentimental reason. History and posterity are both served by this. I
> sincerely hope that the OP successfully trasfers his tape for whatever
> historical or personal purpose that he has.

Personally, I wish people would stop pretending that their personal biases
and preferences are the law. You can wish whatever you want. Your wishes,
however, are not the law and you really need to stop telling people that
they are.

> Transporting ones legally obtained memories from ones own property to
> ones own property is nothing more than ones own business. This is not
> anarchism, it is simply liberty.

And ignoring the law is simply anarchy. And ignorance of the law is . . .
well . . . simply ignorance.

> Cheers...
>
> P.S. Isn't there some Latin phrase that says that the law does not
> trifle with trifles?

There are legal maxims for just about everything. How about this one (from
Marbury v. Madison): For every right there is a remedy.

"Mark Burns" wrote ...
> You are the attorney.

Were you addressing someone specifically, or do you think we
are ALL attorneys here? These copyright discussions always
amuse me because they are so completely meaningless and a
waste of time. No amount of discussion here, no matter how
passionate or voluminous, makes a whit of difference. Those who
choose to ignore the law or wish it were different are just putting
themselves in legal jeopardy. There are no two ways about it.

> "Mark Burns" wrote ...
>> You are the attorney.
>
> Were you addressing someone specifically, or do you think we
> are ALL attorneys here? These copyright discussions always
> amuse me because they are so completely meaningless and a
> waste of time. No amount of discussion here, no matter how
> passionate or voluminous, makes a whit of difference. Those who
> choose to ignore the law or wish it were different are just putting
> themselves in legal jeopardy. There are no two ways about it.

For some reason my post is not showing up....I try again:

The interest is because the law is unclear, contradictory, and results in
teams of scholars and legal analysts trying to figure it out. The DMCA is
self contradictory in a number of places resulting in continuing battles
in the courts.

AnthonyR wrote:

> PTravel and Richard,
>
> I usually stay out of these copyright flame wars, but legally, morally,
> ethically, whatever you want to call it,
> if the guy copies his 20 year old vhs tape (not breaking any copy protection
> scheme) for his own archival, I
> would think he's not going to jail anytime soon. Would you both agree that
> is safe to say?

Sure. That's not the point, and irrelevant to anything I was
discussing. "Alpha" made a statement about copyright law which is dead
wrong, i.e. "personal use = fair use." I commented on that statement,
and that statement only. Instead of acknowledging his error, he went
on to make even more outrageous, and completely incorrect statements.

There are a lot of urban myths about copyright, some of which can get
people in trouble. I'll correct them when I encounter them.

Incidently, I'm a licensed attorney, a partner in the intellectual
property department of a national law firm, and this is kind of law
that I practice.

> Today I just heard on the news that chinese hackers attempted 76,000 times
> to gain access to our military computers
> so that in case we ever go to war with China they can level the playing
> field by taking out our Militaries GPS systems
> and other sensative networks. This issue should concern us Americans as a
> higher priority than illegal vhs copies!
> Let's get our ranting priorities in order here.

China is not planning to go to war with the US, nor would it ever have
any reason to. America's enemies are in the opposite direction, i.e.
our so-called friends like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, not to mention
our avowed enemies, such as Syria.

I agree -- let's get our priorities in order.

> :)
>
> AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

> AnthonyR wrote:
>
>> PTravel and Richard,
>>
>> I usually stay out of these copyright flame wars, but legally, morally,
>> ethically, whatever you want to call it,
>> if the guy copies his 20 year old vhs tape (not breaking any copy
>> protection
>> scheme) for his own archival, I
>> would think he's not going to jail anytime soon. Would you both agree
>> that
>> is safe to say?
>
> Sure. That's not the point, and irrelevant to anything I was
> discussing. "Alpha" made a statement about copyright law which is dead
> wrong, i.e. "personal use = fair use." I commented on that statement,
> and that statement only. Instead of acknowledging his error, he went
> on to make even more outrageous, and completely incorrect statements.
>
> There are a lot of urban myths about copyright, some of which can get
> people in trouble. I'll correct them when I encounter them.
>
> Incidently, I'm a licensed attorney, a partner in the intellectual
> property department of a national law firm, and this is kind of law
> that I practice.
>

>> Today I just heard on the news that chinese hackers attempted 76,000
>> times
>> to gain access to our military computers
>> so that in case we ever go to war with China they can level the playing
>> field by taking out our Militaries GPS systems
>> and other sensative networks. This issue should concern us Americans as a
>> higher priority than illegal vhs copies!
>> Let's get our ranting priorities in order here.
>
> China is not planning to go to war with the US, nor would it ever have
> any reason to. America's enemies are in the opposite direction, i.e.
> our so-called friends like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, not to mention
> our avowed enemies, such as Syria.
>
> I agree -- let's get our priorities in order.
>

>> :)
>>
>> AnthonyR.

Hey,
Cool, it's always good to get free legal advice, the group is fortunate to
have you.

And true, most Americans think China isn't are enemy or would never plan a
war with us, but think about this.
There are only so many resources left on this planet, mainly oil for energy,
also water etc..
With China's population growing leaps and bounds over our measly 260 million
or so people. in about 10 to 20 years tops
they will be fight for those remaining resources with everyone on the
planet. Being we as Americans consume probably 20 fold
if not more what other people do in resources, we would be the direct
competitor for those resources.
Darwinian forces will win out over diplomacy everytime when the future of a
nation and race are at stake, don't kid yourself in thinking
they'll sacrifice the lives of millions of their people to every one of us,
when divvying up what's left of the pie!

They are for sure planning their survival against the super-power(being us)
from now, they'd be stupid not to.
Unfortunately our leaders are too distracted at the moment to concentrate
and allocate resources at protecting our security from
the Red internet attacks. According to the news, we can't just go their and
question people, and the Chinese government is being uncooperative.

Also, with the fall of communism in Russia, our once rival will also compete
for resources just the same, as the communists that are left.
Sure we can all be calm about it now, and worry about terrorism that might
happen again, but our survival as a nation depends on our ability
to secure not only our borders but our technology which is our only
advantage to our survival some day. Unless you see some world government
where we all have one leader and all share the worlds resources evenly,
that's what we have to protect against. 20 years will be here in the blink
of an eye, and our children will think remember the good ol days before all
this?

Hey sounds like a good book, no?

AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" wrote ...
> PTravel and Richard,
>
> I usually stay out of these copyright flame wars, but
> legally, morally, ethically, whatever you want to call
> it, if the guy copies his 20 year old vhs tape (not
> breaking any copy protection scheme) for his own
> archival, I would think he's not going to jail anytime
> soon. Would you both agree that is safe to say?

Mr. "PTravel" (a working IP attorney) has already made
the point about correcting "Alpha"s incorrect theory that
"personal use = fair use".

I will also observe that in the original question, the OP
did not address the issue of whether he was making a
single copy for himself, or 100 copies for all his friends.

> Today I just heard on the news that chinese hackers
> attempted 76,000 times to gain access to our military
> computers so that in case we ever go to war with China
> they can level the playing field by taking out our Militaries
> GPS systems and other sensative networks. This issue
> should concern us Americans as a higher priority than
> illegal vhs copies!
> Let's get our ranting priorities in order here.

I would suggest that kind of behavior is merely a logical
further step from anarchist behavior like wilful ignorance
of copyright laws and other so-called "victimless crimes".
Even if nobody else appears to be harmed, the lawbreaker
themselves just reinforces their anti-social behavior.

"AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message

> And true, most Americans think China isn't are enemy or would never plan a
> war with us, but think about this.
> There are only so many resources left on this planet, mainly oil for
energy,
> also water etc..
> With China's population growing leaps and bounds over our measly 260
million
> or so people. in about 10 to 20 years tops
> they will be fight for those remaining resources with everyone on the
> planet. Being we as Americans consume probably 20 fold
> if not more what other people do in resources, we would be the direct
> competitor for those resources.
> Darwinian forces will win out over diplomacy everytime when the future of
> nation and race are at stake, don't kid yourself in thinking
> they'll sacrifice the lives of millions of their people to every one of
us,
> when divvying up what's left of the pie!
>
> They are for sure planning their survival against the super-power(being
us)
> from now, they'd be stupid not to.
> Unfortunately our leaders are too distracted at the moment to concentrate
> and allocate resources at protecting our security from
> the Red internet attacks. According to the news, we can't just go their
and
> question people, and the Chinese government is being uncooperative.
>
> Also, with the fall of communism in Russia, our once rival will also
compete
> for resources just the same, as the communists that are left.
> Sure we can all be calm about it now, and worry about terrorism that might
> happen again, but our survival as a nation depends on our ability
> to secure not only our borders but our technology which is our only
> advantage to our survival some day. Unless you see some world government
> where we all have one leader and all share the worlds resources evenly,
> that's what we have to protect against. 20 years will be here in the blink
> of an eye, and our children will think remember the good ol days before
all
> this?
>
> Hey sounds like a good book, no?

And, fortunately, that's what is -- fiction. China is only nominally
Communist -- it is, at this point and in the economic sense, far more
capitalistic than the U.S. The US is China's biggest trading partner, and
also an ally against Islamic expansionism (something that China is troubled
with as well as the U.S.). The Chinese people themselves regard us as
friends, not potential enemies.

China simply isn't a threat of any kind to us (except, perhaps, economic --
they do capitalism better than we do), and has the potential to be America's
greatest ally.

> AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

> "AnthonyR" wrote ...
>> PTravel and Richard,
>>
>> I usually stay out of these copyright flame wars, but legally, morally,
>> ethically, whatever you want to call
>> it, if the guy copies his 20 year old vhs tape (not
>> breaking any copy protection scheme) for his own
>> archival, I would think he's not going to jail anytime
>> soon. Would you both agree that is safe to say?
>
> Mr. "PTravel" (a working IP attorney) has already made
> the point about correcting "Alpha"s incorrect theory that
> "personal use = fair use".
> I will also observe that in the original question, the OP did not address
> the issue of whether he was making a single copy for himself, or 100
> copies for all his friends.
>
>> Today I just heard on the news that chinese hackers attempted 76,000
>> times to gain access to our military computers so that in case we ever
>> go to war with China they can level the playing field by taking out our
>> Militaries GPS systems and other sensative networks. This issue should
>> concern us Americans as a higher priority than illegal vhs copies!
>> Let's get our ranting priorities in order here.
>
> I would suggest that kind of behavior is merely a logical further step
> from anarchist behavior like wilful ignorance of copyright laws and other
> so-called "victimless crimes". Even if nobody else appears to be harmed,
> the lawbreaker themselves just reinforces their anti-social behavior.

Richard, funny about how different people chose different issues to define
as the line that
causes anit-social behavior. It's always different for different people. As
closer as it is
to home, our own economic future, the more important and moral issue it
becomes.

As an example, I'll say I know people who are 100 % Christian
fundamentalists and take offense to
the slightest sense of immorality, abortion issues, etc... Yet they see
nothing wrong with copying
a show or movie they like to share with all their friends. Interesting isn't
it?

AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" wrote ...
> As an example, I'll say I know people who are 100 %
> Christian fundamentalists and take offense to the slightest
> sense of immorality, abortion issues, etc... Yet they see
> nothing wrong with copying a show or movie they like to
> share with all their friends. Interesting isn't it?

You have my full permission and cooperation in pointing
out their hypocritical behavior.

I would seriously question the "100% Christian"
characterization. To their face if necessary.

> "AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> And true, most Americans think China isn't are enemy or would never plan
>> war with us, but think about this.
>> There are only so many resources left on this planet, mainly oil for
> energy,
>> also water etc..
>> With China's population growing leaps and bounds over our measly 260
> million
>> or so people. in about 10 to 20 years tops
>> they will be fight for those remaining resources with everyone on the
>> planet. Being we as Americans consume probably 20 fold
>> if not more what other people do in resources, we would be the direct
>> competitor for those resources.
>> Darwinian forces will win out over diplomacy everytime when the future of
>> nation and race are at stake, don't kid yourself in thinking
>> they'll sacrifice the lives of millions of their people to every one of
> us,
>> when divvying up what's left of the pie!
>>
>> They are for sure planning their survival against the super-power(being
> us)
>> from now, they'd be stupid not to.
>> Unfortunately our leaders are too distracted at the moment to concentrate
>> and allocate resources at protecting our security from
>> the Red internet attacks. According to the news, we can't just go their
> and
>> question people, and the Chinese government is being uncooperative.
>>
>> Also, with the fall of communism in Russia, our once rival will also
> compete
>> for resources just the same, as the communists that are left.
>> Sure we can all be calm about it now, and worry about terrorism that
>> might
>> happen again, but our survival as a nation depends on our ability
>> to secure not only our borders but our technology which is our only
>> advantage to our survival some day. Unless you see some world government
>> where we all have one leader and all share the worlds resources evenly,
>> that's what we have to protect against. 20 years will be here in the
>> blink
>> of an eye, and our children will think remember the good ol days before
> all
>> this?
>>
>> Hey sounds like a good book, no?
>
> And, fortunately, that's what is -- fiction. China is only nominally
> Communist -- it is, at this point and in the economic sense, far more
> capitalistic than the U.S. The US is China's biggest trading partner, and
> also an ally against Islamic expansionism (something that China is
> troubled
> with as well as the U.S.). The Chinese people themselves regard us as
> friends, not potential enemies.
>
> China simply isn't a threat of any kind to us (except, perhaps,
> economic --
> they do capitalism better than we do), and has the potential to be
> America's
> greatest ally.

It's really naive to thing China isn't any threat to us. Why then, should we
not share all our military secrets with them openely?
Heck, let's show them how to make all our weapons systems, so they can help
us against islamic fundamentalists, NOT!

They are considered and adversary, true fact, not an alley in any ones book.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/25/hackers.china/index.html

Also, China doesn't have our view own intellectual property rights and
copyrights.
That's why illegal movie DVD making goes on openly even with no government
intervention.
What about that point of view of theirs?

Remember most wars are fought over less divisive issues, civil wars are
fought were people share national identity, race etc...
countries become divided and wars errupt, so it is very naive to think a
nation as China with hardly nothing in common with
American traditions, values or morals( not that Chinese have no morals, in
fact I respect theirs). It's just that differences can someday find our two
nations at odds with each other, especially when resources
are used up. Heck, brothers fight for last piece of pie!
What we all forget is resourses are limited, energy, food and water is not
unlimited, and people will fight to survive with each other one day.
So that is not fiction. How soon, 20 years or 200 years, that would be
fiction to give an exact date. True.

And Yes, I agree, Chinese people themselves don't see us as a threat
personally at the moment, but attitudes can change quickly when a man sees
his family starving, 30 people living in a small room and hear that
Americans are driving SUV's that burn more gas in a trip to the casino than
would be needed to power their cooking for a year.
How about the woman in Sudan who walk half a day to gather twigs to a make a
fire to cook, and most of the woman are raped on the journey with the
government turning a blind eye. 90% of the men in that town were already
killed (Darwinism at work), limited resources.

So globally we haven't felt it yet, but it's coming, unless a plague
destroys half the worlds population, which has always helped limit resource
usage in the past. But with scientists finding vacines and preventing nature
from controlling the population, who knows what will save us.
Maybe those billions spend on the space shuttle can be helpful, we can build
moon colonies. :)

AnthonyR.