Opening MS Office Files from a memory card

June 2, 2004 11:17:43 AM

I have a Dell Axim X5 400mhz. I saved some Excel and Word files to my
memory card. I can see the files but I cannot open them. Any ideas? Or do
I have to save to the default locations?

I am a tech and I think this Pocket PC is great. But I must say that it
is like learning computing all over again. It is both facinating and
challenging.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:25:18 PM

as far as I know, there should be no reason word and excel files would not
open from a card (or any other storage location)
If your problem is Word does not see them to open them, then make sure they
are in a folder named "My Documents" (even on the card), or use file
explorer to navigate to their location and click them and they should open.

"brnsgrbr" <brnsgrbr@comcast.net> wrote in message
I have a Dell Axim X5 400mhz. I saved some Excel and Word files to my
memory card. I can see the files but I cannot open them. Any ideas? Or do
I have to save to the default locations?

I am a tech and I think this Pocket PC is great. But I must say that it
is like learning computing all over again. It is both facinating and
challenging.
June 2, 2004 3:25:19 PM

Well now all of a sudden, they are opening. I turned it off for a couple of
hours. Then when I turned it on and clicked on the file from explorer, it
opened. Hmm go figure thanks for replying to the post.

"Knott Me" <knott_me@SPAMSUX.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> as far as I know, there should be no reason word and excel files would not
> open from a card (or any other storage location)
> If your problem is Word does not see them to open them, then make sure
they
> are in a folder named "My Documents" (even on the card), or use file
> explorer to navigate to their location and click them and they should
open.

> "brnsgrbr" <brnsgrbr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Axim X5 400mhz. I saved some Excel and Word files to my
> memory card. I can see the files but I cannot open them. Any ideas? Or
do
> I have to save to the default locations?
>

> I am a tech and I think this Pocket PC is great. But I must say that it
> is like learning computing all over again. It is both facinating and
> challenging.

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 11:53:00 PM

You need to run the files through Activesync to your device. Doing
this will convert them to pocket PC word / excel format ( which is
different than the desktop format).

If you used lets say a card reader and just dumped raw desktop Word
files onto it, you'll not be able to read them on your PPC, so check
out the 'conversion' options in activesync and make sure you have them
switched on - then use activesync to transfer them to your device and
from their to its memory card.

CHeers - Neil

!