VPN Option Greyed Out on New Connection Wizard

Hi,

I'm using a fairly new install of Windows XP SP2 on my laptop and am having
problems creating a new VPN connection.

Clicking on "New Connection Wizard", then select the "Connect to my
Workplace" option which would normally allow me to create a VPN connection,
is greyed out.

I've googled on this problem and found issues suggesting that

1. XP SP1 be re-installed (I'm upto SP2, which I've tried re-installing
without success)
2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\ be
deleted (have tried this, rebooted, no success)
3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
and 26 (tried this, rebooted, no success)
4. Find SR.INF and re-install (tried, rebooted, no change)

Having tried all of the above, I've had no joy at all. The VPN option in
"New Connection Wizard" remains greyed out.

The problem did appear to begin when I did a System Restore after a bad s/w
installation.

In addition - when I try to re-start the Remote Access Connection Manager
Service I receive Error 5: Access is Denied. I'm logged on as a Local
Administrator. I believe this is related.

Can anyone suggest anything other than formatting and re-building?

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
www.netlinktrading.co.uk
4 answers Last reply
More about option greyed connection wizard

    Well, you might try a "Repair installation". Note the warnings on the
    page...

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using a fairly new install of Windows XP SP2 on my laptop and am
    > having
    > problems creating a new VPN connection.
    >
    > Clicking on "New Connection Wizard", then select the "Connect to my
    > Workplace" option which would normally allow me to create a VPN
    > connection,
    > is greyed out.
    >
    > I've googled on this problem and found issues suggesting that
    >
    > 1. XP SP1 be re-installed (I'm upto SP2, which I've tried re-installing
    > without success)
    > 2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\
    > be
    > deleted (have tried this, rebooted, no success)
    > 3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
    > and 26 (tried this, rebooted, no success)
    > 4. Find SR.INF and re-install (tried, rebooted, no change)
    >
    > Having tried all of the above, I've had no joy at all. The VPN option in
    > "New Connection Wizard" remains greyed out.
    >
    > The problem did appear to begin when I did a System Restore after a bad
    > s/w installation.
    >
    > In addition - when I try to re-start the Remote Access Connection Manager
    > Service I receive Error 5: Access is Denied. I'm logged on as a Local
    > Administrator. I believe this is related.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest anything other than formatting and re-building?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Tubb.
    > www.netlinktrading.co.uk

    Thanks Al. A "repair" installation did indeed solve the problem.

    Regards,

    Richard Tubb.
    www.netlinktrading.co.uk

    > Well, you might try a "Repair installation". Note the warnings on the
    > page...
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm using a fairly new install of Windows XP SP2 on my laptop and am
    >> having
    >> problems creating a new VPN connection.
    >>
    >> Clicking on "New Connection Wizard", then select the "Connect to my
    >> Workplace" option which would normally allow me to create a VPN
    >> connection,
    >> is greyed out.
    >>
    >> I've googled on this problem and found issues suggesting that
    >>
    >> 1. XP SP1 be re-installed (I'm upto SP2, which I've tried re-installing
    >> without success)
    >> 2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\
    >> be
    >> deleted (have tried this, rebooted, no success)
    >> 3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
    >> and 26 (tried this, rebooted, no success)
    >> 4. Find SR.INF and re-install (tried, rebooted, no change)
    >>
    >> Having tried all of the above, I've had no joy at all. The VPN option in
    >> "New Connection Wizard" remains greyed out.
    >>
    >> The problem did appear to begin when I did a System Restore after a bad
    >> s/w installation.
    >>
    >> In addition - when I try to re-start the Remote Access Connection Manager
    >> Service I receive Error 5: Access is Denied. I'm logged on as a Local
    >> Administrator. I believe this is related.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest anything other than formatting and re-building?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Tubb.
    >> www.netlinktrading.co.uk

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks for posting here. Also thanks for our MVP Al's great solution.

    Richard, it seems that your issue has been fixed by Al's suggestion, and I
    also think a Repair Installation always resolves some weird issues.
    Regarding your specific issue, I guess that there may be some corrupted
    system files or registry keys or incorrect security settings, but it may be
    very difficult to find the root cause, so the Repair Installation should be
    a smart choice.

    If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
    contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk>
    >Subject: Re: VPN Option Greyed Out on New Connection Wizard
    >Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:23:45 +0100
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
    >
    >Thanks Al. A "repair" installation did indeed solve the problem.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Richard Tubb.
    >www.netlinktrading.co.uk
    >
    >"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Well, you might try a "Repair installation". Note the warnings on the
    >> page...
    >>
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm using a fairly new install of Windows XP SP2 on my laptop and am
    >>> having
    >>> problems creating a new VPN connection.
    >>>
    >>> Clicking on "New Connection Wizard", then select the "Connect to my
    >>> Workplace" option which would normally allow me to create a VPN
    >>> connection,
    >>> is greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> I've googled on this problem and found issues suggesting that
    >>>
    >>> 1. XP SP1 be re-installed (I'm upto SP2, which I've tried re-installing
    >>> without success)
    >>> 2.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\
    >>> be
    >>> deleted (have tried this, rebooted, no success)
    >>> 3.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25
    >>> and 26 (tried this, rebooted, no success)
    >>> 4. Find SR.INF and re-install (tried, rebooted, no change)
    >>>
    >>> Having tried all of the above, I've had no joy at all. The VPN option
    in
    >>> "New Connection Wizard" remains greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> The problem did appear to begin when I did a System Restore after a bad
    >>> s/w installation.
    >>>
    >>> In addition - when I try to re-start the Remote Access Connection
    Manager
    >>> Service I receive Error 5: Access is Denied. I'm logged on as a Local
    >>> Administrator. I believe this is related.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest anything other than formatting and re-building?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Richard Tubb.
    >>> www.netlinktrading.co.uk

  4. Reinstalling is generally a long way to do things, a better way to fix this problem is:

    In your services console, make sure Remote Access Connection Manager service is started. Once you start the service the option will be okay!

    Quote:

Connection VPN Windows XP