Sudden Capture Problems with Ulead VideoStudio

I have captured with zero dropped frames from my miniDV camera many
times. I also captured one VHS tape via the pass-through feature of
the camera with only 4 dropped frames. The next VHS tape I tried was
impossible to capture because of hundreds of dropped frames. So, I did
a test and went back to the first VHS tape and found that I was unable
to capture it, as I had previously, without too many dropped frames.

These problems got me curious so I disconnected the VCR, changed
firewire cables, restarted the computer, and hooked up my camera
only. Now, I can't even capture from my camera without hundreds of
dropped frames, using the same set-up that had worked many times
previously.

Anyone know what might cause this?

TIA

rs

Registered User wrote:
> I have captured with zero dropped frames from my miniDV camera many
> times. I also captured one VHS tape via the pass-through feature of
> the camera with only 4 dropped frames. The next VHS tape I tried was
> impossible to capture because of hundreds of dropped frames. So, I did
> a test and went back to the first VHS tape and found that I was unable
> to capture it, as I had previously, without too many dropped frames.
>
> These problems got me curious so I disconnected the VCR, changed
> firewire cables, restarted the computer, and hooked up my camera
> only. Now, I can't even capture from my camera without hundreds of
> dropped frames, using the same set-up that had worked many times
> previously.
>
> Anyone know what might cause this?
>
> TIA

Firewire connections do conk out sometimes. You've tried two devices
with the same result that previously worked.

>Firewire connections do conk out sometimes. You've tried two devices
>with the same result that previously worked.

Well, I can see the video fine, without skips, in the preview window
of VideoStudio. It's only when I try to capture that it's a problem.
Could this still be a firewire problem?

rs

Registered User wrote:

>>Firewire connections do conk out sometimes. You've tried two devices
>>with the same result that previously worked.
>

> Well, I can see the video fine, without skips, in the preview window
> of VideoStudio. It's only when I try to capture that it's a problem.
> Could this still be a firewire problem?

Try scenalyzer
http://www.scenalyzer.com

The eval version is fully functional and will help you test if perhaps
you current capture app is just messing with your head.

"Registered User" <not@today.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know what might cause this?
> TIA

Could your capture HDD need defragging?
I assume that the DMA & other settings haven't been changed, perhaps by
installing new software?

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

>Could your capture HDD need defragging?
>I assume that the DMA & other settings haven't been changed, perhaps by
>installing new software?

It's a fairly new drive, used just for editing. I will check it,
though. No new software has been installed.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:24:44 -0500, RS <mail@mail.com> wrote:

>Registered User wrote:
>>
>>>Firewire connections do conk out sometimes. You've tried two devices
>>>with the same result that previously worked.
>>

>> Well, I can see the video fine, without skips, in the preview window
>> of VideoStudio. It's only when I try to capture that it's a problem.
>> Could this still be a firewire problem?
>
>Try scenalyzer
>http://www.scenalyzer.com
>
>The eval version is fully functional and will help you test if perhaps
>you current capture app is just messing with your head.

Thanks, I've heard it was good. I'll try it next. The HD did need a
defrag so I'm waiting on that. Before defragging started, I tried
WinDV. User reports said it was great, but it also dropped frames.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:55:39 -0400, Registered User <not@today.com> wrote:

>It's a fairly new drive, used just for editing. I will check it,
>though. No new software has been installed.

New drives also need a couple of times to run a full speed for writing. You
can find patches at the manufcturers website to bypass this. It's a
diagnostic to check the quality of the drive.

cheers

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"