  • Computers
  • VPN
  • Windows XP
July 5, 2005 4:36:08 PM

Ok, I am NOT a "computer professional". But I need answers. Our network
admin. can't seem to figure this out, so I am left to try and do it myself.
So I need a lot of help.

I am trying to log onto my network at work thru a VPN connection. I believe
all the servers are Dell's.
My home computer is running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. I connect
through a DSL line.

On my old computer I had dial up and I was able to dial in and things worked
fine, but not since I got a new computer with Windows XP Pro and a DSL line
which now requires me to use a VPN connection.

I can get the VPN connection up and locked (lock showing in the task bar),
but can't see anything as if I were on a network. I launch Remote desktop
and enter my user name an password and click ok.

I then get the following message: "The client could not connect. You are
already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session
cannot be established".
Our computer guy said he couldn't find anything on this error, though when I
did a Google search I found several sites with mention of it. Yes, I did show
him this info.
He says it must be my computer with XP Pro Service Pack 2 and/or working
with the DSL line. He has XP Pro and dial up and can get in. Others here
have XP Home or Pro and dial up or cable and get in.

The computer guy's only other suggestions were uninstall Service Pack 2 (I
can't because it came pre-loaded and is not in the add/remove programs list)
or using Net Meeting (or something).

I do some work from home and really need this.

More about : issues vpn pro dls

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:32:50 AM

Try connecting to the console session manually...

mstsc /v:computername /console

This should allow you to reconnect to your console session.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:36:08 -0700, featherstone
<featherstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok, I am NOT a "computer professional". But I need answers. Our network
>admin. can't seem to figure this out, so I am left to try and do it myself.
>So I need a lot of help.
>
>I am trying to log onto my network at work thru a VPN connection. I believe
>all the servers are Dell's.
>My home computer is running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. I connect
>through a DSL line.
>
>On my old computer I had dial up and I was able to dial in and things worked
>fine, but not since I got a new computer with Windows XP Pro and a DSL line
>which now requires me to use a VPN connection.
>
>I can get the VPN connection up and locked (lock showing in the task bar),
>but can't see anything as if I were on a network. I launch Remote desktop
>and enter my user name an password and click ok.
>
>I then get the following message: "The client could not connect. You are
>already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session
>cannot be established".
>Our computer guy said he couldn't find anything on this error, though when I
>did a Google search I found several sites with mention of it. Yes, I did show
>him this info.
>He says it must be my computer with XP Pro Service Pack 2 and/or working
>with the DSL line. He has XP Pro and dial up and can get in. Others here
>have XP Home or Pro and dial up or cable and get in.
>
>The computer guy's only other suggestions were uninstall Service Pack 2 (I
>can't because it came pre-loaded and is not in the add/remove programs list)
>or using Net Meeting (or something).
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>I do some work from home and really need this.
July 10, 2005 2:30:03 PM

Thank you! I able to connect!!!!!

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Try connecting to the console session manually...
>
> mstsc /v:computername /console
>
> This should allow you to reconnect to your console session.
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:36:08 -0700, featherstone
> <featherstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I am NOT a "computer professional". But I need answers. Our network
> >admin. can't seem to figure this out, so I am left to try and do it myself.
> >So I need a lot of help.
> >
> >I am trying to log onto my network at work thru a VPN connection. I believe
> >all the servers are Dell's.
> >My home computer is running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. I connect
> >through a DSL line.
> >
> >On my old computer I had dial up and I was able to dial in and things worked
> >fine, but not since I got a new computer with Windows XP Pro and a DSL line
> >which now requires me to use a VPN connection.
> >
> >I can get the VPN connection up and locked (lock showing in the task bar),
> >but can't see anything as if I were on a network. I launch Remote desktop
> >and enter my user name an password and click ok.
> >
> >I then get the following message: "The client could not connect. You are
> >already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session
> >cannot be established".
> >Our computer guy said he couldn't find anything on this error, though when I
> >did a Google search I found several sites with mention of it. Yes, I did show
> >him this info.
> >He says it must be my computer with XP Pro Service Pack 2 and/or working
> >with the DSL line. He has XP Pro and dial up and can get in. Others here
> >have XP Home or Pro and dial up or cable and get in.
> >
> >The computer guy's only other suggestions were uninstall Service Pack 2 (I
> >can't because it came pre-loaded and is not in the add/remove programs list)
> >or using Net Meeting (or something).
> >
> >Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >I do some work from home and really need this.

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:02:27 AM

Glad that worked for ya... :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:30:03 -0700, featherstone

!