virtual machines on distant PC with remote desktop, mouse ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.virtualpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi,

I have a computer where VirtualPC 2004SP1 is installed, with 2 virtual
machines: one windows2003 server and one windows xp pro.

I access this computer usually through remote desktop, since there is no
keyboard/mouse or screen attached to the computer.

Remote desktop works perfectly for all applications, but I cannot move
the mouse reliably in the virtual machines. The mouse pointer just jumps
in the virtual PC window and I have to manage the virtual machines
with the keyboard only, which is a real pain.

I now attached a mouse and keyboard on the remote PC hosting the virtual
machines, and it didn't help. When managing the machines directly on the
host all is fine, when managing through remote desktop, mouse function
is broken.

Not sure whether it's a Remote Desktop or Virtual PC issue, that's why I
post to both groups. Suggestions please ?

Lorenzo
4 answers Last reply
More about virtual machines distant remote desktop mouse
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.virtualpc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    In article <3j1t8rFnogk8U1@individual.net>, in the
    microsoft.public.virtualpc news group, Lorenzo Sandini
    <lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> says...

    > Remote desktop works perfectly for all applications, but I cannot move
    > the mouse reliably in the virtual machines. The mouse pointer just jumps
    > in the virtual PC window and I have to manage the virtual machines
    > with the keyboard only, which is a real pain.

    Rather than trying to RDP into the host and then using VPC through that
    connection, simply enable RDP in the two guests and RDP directly to
    them, just as you do for the host.

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:35:06 -0400, Paul Adare <padare@newsguy.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <3j1t8rFnogk8U1@individual.net>, in the
    >microsoft.public.virtualpc news group, Lorenzo Sandini
    ><lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> says...
    >
    >> Remote desktop works perfectly for all applications, but I cannot move
    >> the mouse reliably in the virtual machines. The mouse pointer just jumps
    >> in the virtual PC window and I have to manage the virtual machines
    >> with the keyboard only, which is a real pain.
    >>

    >Rather than trying to RDP into the host and then using VPC through that
    >connection, simply enable RDP in the two guests and RDP directly to
    >them, just as you do for the host.

    Make sure you have the VPC Additions installed, since this is what
    will correctly translate your mouse movement to the VM.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

    Steve Jain wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:35:06 -0400, Paul Adare <padare@newsguy.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>In article <3j1t8rFnogk8U1@individual.net>, in the
    >>microsoft.public.virtualpc news group, Lorenzo Sandini
    >><lorenzo.sandini@POISTA.uku.fi> says...
    >>

    >>>Remote desktop works perfectly for all applications, but I cannot move
    >>>the mouse reliably in the virtual machines. The mouse pointer just jumps
    >>> in the virtual PC window and I have to manage the virtual machines
    >>>with the keyboard only, which is a real pain.
    >>>

    >>Rather than trying to RDP into the host and then using VPC through that
    >>connection, simply enable RDP in the two guests and RDP directly to
    >>them, just as you do for the host.
    >

    > Make sure you have the VPC Additions installed, since this is what
    > will correctly translate your mouse movement to the VM.

    VPC additions are installed correctly, but thanks for the suggestion.

    The Virtual machines are interconnected without any interference with my
    physical network, so connecting directly to the win2003 server using
    remote desktop would need some changes in the network configuration in
    the virtual machines first. Moreover, since the virtual Win2003 machine
    and the virtual clients are connected for testing purposes only, I need
    to have an eye on both server and client at the same time. I don't know
    if I can open 2 RD connections in parallel from this office to the
    computer hosting the virtual machines... (haven't tried yet).

    The computer hosting the virtual machines is already behind a router
    with NAT enabvled and I am forwarding the ports 3389 and 3390 to its
    IP. I can add a virtual ethernet adapter to the virtual win2003 machine
    and route the incoming traffic through these ports to the virtual
    machine, but how could I possibly route 2 connections to 2 virtual
    machines in parallel ?

    My knowledge of networks finds its limits again here :/ I am sliding
    out of topic now, but if anyone finds this thread interesting, please
    post below, thank you

    Lorenzo
  4. I am having this same problem. I remote into my home computer from work and try to run VM's and the mouse is all over the place. Quite annoying. So in lue of an answer as to how to make the mouse work correctly through a RD connection. I have gone from remote to remote (ie, remote into a pc at home, then from that PC remote to another PC on my network) but I dont think you can dual remote. But since the VPC can be on your same network, you can remote into the server, then from the server remote into the VPC. Of course in this circumstance the more memory you have, the faster the processer, and the faster the internet connection, the better.

    The only other option I can see for remote into the VPC is to set them to a seperate port numbers and then set up the firewall to correctly direct the traffic. But that doesnt give you the access to both screens you need. Of course the Ideal situation would be to just solve the problem with the mouse but so far I have not found any answers for that one.

    -bearpawz

Remote Desktop Mice Windows XP