8X DVD Burner only reliable at 4X

rod

I have been working on copying some video tapes to DVD using Nerovision
Express 3. I have 5 DVD players of different types in the house from a
portable player to an Xbox. I have a fairly new Samsung 8X DVD burner which
I have flashed with the latest firmware. I found by experimenting with
different DVD media that some media would not work in every player. Some
would spit the DVD back out at me while others would only play the menu but
lock up when trying to play the movie.

I did my research at http://www.digitalfaq.com and learned to check the
manufacturer ID of the DVD that I was burning. To make a long story short, I
found that regardless of the brand or manufacturer of the DVD that I was
using, only the 4X media worked in every player. I then tried using some of
the 8X media that I had problems with and burned them at 4X. All of them
worked perfectly in every player. It has not seemed to matter whether I am
using DVD-R or DVD+R as I have had equally good and bad results with both. I
have been using good quality media such as TYG01 and TYG02. One of my recent
tests was an 8X Ritek R03 DVD+R from Maxell. I originally thought all the
problems were due to the manufacturer but realized that in this particular
situation, it was only a matter of the burn speed.

Nero does not report any problems with any of the burns.

I have some questions for anyone who might have some insight on this.
1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Does this sound like a problem with my DVD burner?
3. Is it normal for an 8X DVD burner to have to drop back to 4X speed to get
reliable burns?
4. Is it normal for some DVD equipment to not be able to read media that was
burned at a higher speed?

Thanks,

Rod

AnthonyR

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have been working on copying some video tapes to DVD using Nerovision
>Express 3. I have 5 DVD players of different types in the house from a
>portable player to an Xbox. I have a fairly new Samsung 8X DVD burner which
>I have flashed with the latest firmware. I found by experimenting with
>different DVD media that some media would not work in every player. Some
>would spit the DVD back out at me while others would only play the menu but
>lock up when trying to play the movie.
>
> I did my research at http://www.digitalfaq.com and learned to check the
> manufacturer ID of the DVD that I was burning. To make a long story short,
> I found that regardless of the brand or manufacturer of the DVD that I was
> using, only the 4X media worked in every player. I then tried using some
> of the 8X media that I had problems with and burned them at 4X. All of
> them worked perfectly in every player. It has not seemed to matter whether
> I am using DVD-R or DVD+R as I have had equally good and bad results with
> both. I have been using good quality media such as TYG01 and TYG02. One of
> my recent tests was an 8X Ritek R03 DVD+R from Maxell. I originally
> thought all the problems were due to the manufacturer but realized that in
> this particular situation, it was only a matter of the burn speed.
>
> Nero does not report any problems with any of the burns.
>
> I have some questions for anyone who might have some insight on this.
> 1. Has anyone else experienced this?
> 2. Does this sound like a problem with my DVD burner?
> 3. Is it normal for an 8X DVD burner to have to drop back to 4X speed to
> get reliable burns?
> 4. Is it normal for some DVD equipment to not be able to read media that
> was burned at a higher speed?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rod

Rod,
Not sure on all those, but no. 3, it will drop to 4x if it's firmware tells
it to.
Check online to see if you have the latest firmware for your burner, maybe
you can patch it with
firmware that allows faster burning, but if the dvd's dye isn't fast
reacting enough you will get burn errors.
Try a 16x DVD, and see if it burns at 8x ok, as a test.

AnthonyR.

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in

(snip.)
> I did my research at http://www.digitalfaq.com and learned to check
> the manufacturer ID of the DVD that I was burning. To make a long
> story short, I found that regardless of the brand or manufacturer of
> the DVD that I was using, only the 4X media worked in every player. I
(snip.)

1 & 2. I haven't experienced it myself, but the most common cause of
something like this is that the drive is running in PIO mode when it
should be on Ultra DMA. (i.e. a misconfiguration as opposed to a genuine
problem with the burner.)

For more information on checking/enabling DMA mode, feel free to read
this helpful article:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

3. When running on PIO mode, you definitely have to use a lower burn
speed for reliability. In most cases, there is no advantage to using PIO.
But the system BIOS or windows will choose it by default for
compatibility purposes. In some cases, burners will look at the MID code
and if they think the media is inferior, they will drop to a lower speed.
Plextor drives in particular will do this on the fly. But with TY media
and such, they will normally burn at higher than rated speeds with no
problems.

4. Only for low quality media.

Etc: As to the problem of DVDR media not playing in every player, you
should know that some standalone DVD players simply do not support all
types of recordable media and there is nothing you can do about it. In
some cases you can improve the compatibility using various means, but you
will never burn a disc that is guaranteed to play in all players.

rod

Jucius,

Thanks for the tips. I did check my drives and am already running in DMA
mode so I guess that was not the problem. I am coming to realize through
experience and some other replies to this post that burning at a slower
speed is probably the key to better compatability. I know that I am not
going to make DVD's that are compatible with every player, but I thought a
good start would be to make them compatable with the 5 that I had in my
house.

Rod

"Jucius Maximus" <juicy.anti@spam.graffiti.net> wrote in message
> "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in
>
> (snip.)
>> I did my research at http://www.digitalfaq.com and learned to check
>> the manufacturer ID of the DVD that I was burning. To make a long
>> story short, I found that regardless of the brand or manufacturer of
>> the DVD that I was using, only the 4X media worked in every player. I
> (snip.)
>
> 1 & 2. I haven't experienced it myself, but the most common cause of
> something like this is that the drive is running in PIO mode when it
> should be on Ultra DMA. (i.e. a misconfiguration as opposed to a genuine
> problem with the burner.)
>
> For more information on checking/enabling DMA mode, feel free to read
> this helpful article:
>
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616
>
> 3. When running on PIO mode, you definitely have to use a lower burn
> speed for reliability. In most cases, there is no advantage to using PIO.
> But the system BIOS or windows will choose it by default for
> compatibility purposes. In some cases, burners will look at the MID code
> and if they think the media is inferior, they will drop to a lower speed.
> Plextor drives in particular will do this on the fly. But with TY media
> and such, they will normally burn at higher than rated speeds with no
> problems.
>
> 4. Only for low quality media.
>
> Etc: As to the problem of DVDR media not playing in every player, you
> should know that some standalone DVD players simply do not support all
> types of recordable media and there is nothing you can do about it. In
> some cases you can improve the compatibility using various means, but you
> will never burn a disc that is guaranteed to play in all players.

Hello, Rod,
I would say your experience is quite well known.
Guys dealing with DVD burnings for the long time period would never use
other speed then 4x even their burner supports let us say 100x speed.
It is not a question of "compatibility" only - it has to do with record
reliability also.
Note: similar situation can be observed when burning audio CDs - burning
speed 4x is still highly recommended.

Higher burning speed would not be a problem when CD/DVD is intended to
use in a PC CD/DVD drive.

So if I were you I would not waste time with any investigation. Take it
as it is and go ;-)
Roman

Rod wrote:
> I have some questions for anyone who might have some insight on this.
> 1. Has anyone else experienced this?
> 2. Does this sound like a problem with my DVD burner?
> 3. Is it normal for an 8X DVD burner to have to drop back to 4X speed to get
> reliable burns?
> 4. Is it normal for some DVD equipment to not be able to read media that was
> burned at a higher speed?

rod

Roman,

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I have had also had some trouble in the
past with some MP3 CD's as well. I may go back and reburn them at a slower
speed.

Rod

"Roman Svihorik" <gemini@post.mbc.sk> wrote in message
> Hello, Rod,
> I would say your experience is quite well known.
> Guys dealing with DVD burnings for the long time period would never use
> other speed then 4x even their burner supports let us say 100x speed.
> It is not a question of "compatibility" only - it has to do with record
> reliability also.
> Note: similar situation can be observed when burning audio CDs - burning
> speed 4x is still highly recommended.
>
> Higher burning speed would not be a problem when CD/DVD is intended to use
> in a PC CD/DVD drive.
>
> So if I were you I would not waste time with any investigation. Take it as
> it is and go ;-)
> Roman
>

> Rod wrote:
>> I have some questions for anyone who might have some insight on this.
>> 1. Has anyone else experienced this?
>> 2. Does this sound like a problem with my DVD burner?
>> 3. Is it normal for an 8X DVD burner to have to drop back to 4X speed to
>> get reliable burns?
>> 4. Is it normal for some DVD equipment to not be able to read media that
>> was burned at a higher speed?

Strange, I have always burned my 8X DVDRs at 8X speed with never a problem.
I have an 8X TY DVD+R burning at 8X as I type this message.

> Thanks for the tips. I did check my drives and am already running in
> DMA mode so I guess that was not the problem. I am coming to realize
> through experience and some other replies to this post that burning at
> a slower speed is probably the key to better compatability. I know
> that I am not going to make DVD's that are compatible with every
> player, but I thought a good start would be to make them compatable
> with the 5 that I had in my house.

rod

I have one other thought on this subject. Does anyone know whether it is any
less reliable to burn CD's using a DVD burner than using a CD burner? The
reason that I ask is that I remember back in the days of 1.2M High density
5-1/4 floppy disks and 360K floppy disks that it was generally not a good
idea to format a 360K floppy in a high density drive because it would not
always be compatible with standard 360K drives. Does the same sort of
concept apply in the DVD / CD world?

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:49:47 -0500, "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net>
wrote:

>Jucius,
>
>Thanks for the tips. I did check my drives and am already running in DMA
>mode so I guess that was not the problem. I am coming to realize through
>experience and some other replies to this post that burning at a slower
>speed is probably the key to better compatability. I know that I am not
>going to make DVD's that are compatible with every player, but I thought a
>good start would be to make them compatable with the 5 that I had in my
>house.
>
>Rod

You can do a surface scan of your DVD with
Nero CD-DVD Speed V4.01 and find what
methods give the best quality. If its a used DVDRW,
I always get higher quality numbers if I do a full erase
first.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

AnthonyR

> Strange, I have always burned my 8X DVDRs at 8X speed with never a
> problem.
> I have an 8X TY DVD+R burning at 8X as I type this message.
>
> "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in
>
>> Thanks for the tips. I did check my drives and am already running in
>> DMA mode so I guess that was not the problem. I am coming to realize
>> through experience and some other replies to this post that burning at
>> a slower speed is probably the key to better compatability. I know
>> that I am not going to make DVD's that are compatible with every
>> player, but I thought a good start would be to make them compatable
>> with the 5 that I had in my house.

Same for me here, but I think newer DVD burners help, I had more burn errors
with older burners.
Now I use an NEC 16x, with modified firmware, and get perfect burns at full
16x using 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD's.
However I had a cheap batch of Prodisc 8x, and would get lots of errors,
even at slow speeds, but many more
above 1x, so dvd media has a lot to do with it.
Also I've yet to have a DVD burned at 16x which passed the Nero Data
Verification, and burned with no errors have any
playback issues on any of my standalone DVD players at all.
In fact, I really noticed marked improvement on playback performance on
external DVD players using the Yuden0002 or whatever the code is,
DVD's. I can easily scan at full 32x, fast forward and reverse and change
chapters more quickly, no more digital breakup, here and there or have the
movie stall, for a second like older 4x media DVD Discs and older burner
would make.
So get latest burner and good disks, hook up in UDMA mode as suggested by
Jucius and you'll be all set!

Good Luck,
AnthonyR.

rod

Anthony,

Can you give me some more information about your NEC 16X DVD burner like the
model number and where you bought it? Also, what do you mean by "modified
firmware"? Are you just talking about downloading the latest approved
firmware for that drive or something different?

Thanks,

Rod

> Anthony,
>
> Can you give me some more information about your NEC 16X DVD burner like
> the model number and where you bought it? Also, what do you mean by
> "modified firmware"? Are you just talking about downloading the latest
> approved firmware for that drive or something different?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rod

Hi Rod, Sure, I believe it's an NEC3500? forget the exact ending AG maybe,
got it for around $80
at www.newegg.com ahile ago, and updated it's firware to an unofficial
version that removes restrictions
such as rip speed, so no longer limited to 2x and also allowing the faster
burn rates on older model DVD media
that actual can handle the faster burn but is disabled by firmware codes
because of official marketing etc..
You pay more for 16x dvd's than 8x, but a lot of 8x dvd's burn great at 16x
anyway, no real quality change
they use the same dye and material, just different marketing, at least I
found that to be true for myself with the Taiyo Yuden DVD
disks, here's a link to the discs:
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-plus-r-media-white-inkjet-hub-printable.html

if you don't care for inkjet printable (these are nice, full face printing
with epson R200 printer) then look at the
silver face ones, same quality and price. There are also cheaper 4x Taiyo
Yuden but I wouldn't bother with them
although they might burn well at 8x or more too, never tried them. But Japan
made DVD's are great quality in general!

The DVD burner I have can't be found now but newer better models are even
cheaper, make me want to upgrade, lol
but why? mine works so well, why mess with a good thing, right?
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152039

how can you go wrong with $38 plus $4 shipping, no tax, lol

then google for modified firmware, upgrade and burn at 16x with 8x dvd's
simple.
hope that helps!
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=87413

cd freaks has links for different models and posts for help, Good Luck,
enjoy burning, I
transfer home movies for family when they visit in minutes from PC at 16x,
it's great, print a face and
they are amazed at the gift I just made them.

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
> Anthony,
>
> Can you give me some more information about your NEC 16X DVD burner like
> the model number and where you bought it? Also, what do you mean by
> "modified firmware"? Are you just talking about downloading the latest
> approved firmware for that drive or something different?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rod

also look at for mod speed firmware:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:43:24 -0500, "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote:

>less reliable to burn CD's using a DVD burner than using a CD burner? The
>reason that I ask is that I remember back in the days of 1.2M High density

Rod, that was a problem with differences in head-alignment, which could
make those floppies not readeable.
Afaik in CD/DVD-burner's firmware are specific settings for different type
of media to burn them as good as possible. I reckon if you would put in a
brand for which the drive doesn't have a setting, it will pick a default
one, and that default one, might not be "enough" to have a perfect burn at
maximum speed.
It is just best to find the brand which works best for your burner. A bit
of Googling around, will lead you to lists of users who have tried this
already, otherwise you can be the guinea-pig yourself :)

cheers

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"

I have been using the Plextor PX716UF with TY 16X media with absolutely no
problems and have yet to have a player rejection.

> Anthony,
>
> Thanks for the info. I may try one. I've bought a lot from Newegg and have
> been happy with them. That is where I got the drive I have now. Also, I
> did purchase the Tayo Yuden 8X DVD-R silver faced DVDs from
> http://www.supermediastore.com last week. They are some that I have had
> trouble with burning at 8X in my drive. They work fine at 4X.
>
> Rod

Rod,
I see now, maybe the silver faced taiyo Yuden 8x aren't as good as the white
faced 8x,
I never tried them. But I would suggest first buy a few real 16x dvd's and
see if you get errors
recording at 8x or 16x, if the media is good and no other IDE problems as
suggested, it
should burn fine.
The shiny ones might have been older (slower) die type used to make them.
Only thing I can think of.
:)

AnthonyR.

rod

Thanks for the info. I'm about to order some more DVD's. I'll probably try
the ones that you are talking about. Where did you find information about
the silver faced DVD's?

> "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Anthony,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I may try one. I've bought a lot from Newegg and
>> have been happy with them. That is where I got the drive I have now.
>> Also, I did purchase the Tayo Yuden 8X DVD-R silver faced DVDs from
>> http://www.supermediastore.com last week. They are some that I have had
>> trouble with burning at 8X in my drive. They work fine at 4X.
>>
>> Rod
>>

> Rod,
> I see now, maybe the silver faced taiyo Yuden 8x aren't as good as the
> white faced 8x,
> I never tried them. But I would suggest first buy a few real 16x dvd's and
> see if you get errors
> recording at 8x or 16x, if the media is good and no other IDE problems as
> suggested, it
> should burn fine.
> The shiny ones might have been older (slower) die type used to make them.
> Only thing I can think of.
> :)
>
> AnthonyR.

rod

I found a review on my Samsung TS-H552B DVD burner at
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/163 . I should have looked this up a long
time ago. I think this explains a lot of my compatability problems including
a lot of other factors I have learned over the last few days.

Rod

> "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Anthony,
>>
>> Can you give me some more information about your NEC 16X DVD burner
>> like the model number and where you bought it? Also, what do you mean
(snip.)

> Hi Rod, Sure, I believe it's an NEC3500? forget the exact ending AG
> maybe,
> got it for around $80

This is also one of my two DVD burners. Though for +R discs I use a BENQ
DW-1620.

Both are a litte old now, but still quite reliable and useful for my
purposes.

> Thanks for the info. I'm about to order some more DVD's. I'll probably try
> the ones that you are talking about. Where did you find information about
> the silver faced DVD's?
>
> Rod

Where? Hmm, I might have read something on some forum somewhere, don't
remember, but I always see
tons of shiny top Taiyo Yuden 4x dvd's being sold, so maybe they used same
batch for some 8x dvd's?
It's possible, the could easily use the 8x formulation for 16x.

Sort of like videotape, awhile back, I had read about how they make huge
drum type rolls of it and slice it up for packaging and
sometimes it's more economical to package up different quality levels from
the same roll in manufacturing, so a cheaper tape
might have same material as the higher prised one. It all depended what
would cost the company less, making seperate batches of different
formulations or just labelling same formulation with different labels, it
makes senses no?
But it's not always the case, just sometimes.

AnthonyR.

> "Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info. I'm about to order some more DVD's. I'll probably
>> try the ones that you are talking about. Where did you find information
>> about the silver faced DVD's?
>>
>> Rod
>>
> Where? Hmm, I might have read something on some forum somewhere, don't
> remember, but I always see
> tons of shiny top Taiyo Yuden 4x dvd's being sold, so maybe they used same
> batch for some 8x dvd's?
> It's possible, the could easily use the 8x formulation for 16x.
>
> Sort of like videotape, awhile back, I had read about how they make huge
> drum type rolls of it and slice it up for packaging and
> sometimes it's more economical to package up different quality levels from
> the same roll in manufacturing, so a cheaper tape
> might have same material as the higher prised one. It all depended what
> would cost the company less, making seperate batches of different
> formulations or just labelling same formulation with different labels, it
> makes senses no?
> But it's not always the case, just sometimes.

IIRC they used to take the higher quality tape from the center of the roll,
and use the outer edges for the "bargain" tape.

David

My experience on this matter : I've authored or overseen the authoring of
several hundred discs, and I've run a small disc copy operation - - 50,000
or so burned discs over the past 4 years.

My advice : You can do lots of research, and buy the best burners and the
best media. But in the end, over the long haul, you'll be back to 4x if
you're trying to get maximum compatibility. In our operation, if it's an
important master, we burn at 2x. This is doubly important if you're doing
high bit-rate encoding, as the data is just so dense.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the folks who are getting "perfect 16x
burns every time" are either not exposing their end product to wide variety
of playback units, or just plain haven't done enough of them.

Steve Guidry
Video Works, Inc.
Live events for TV and Video
www.videoworksinc.com
800.844.4404

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have been working on copying some video tapes to DVD using Nerovision
> Express 3. I have 5 DVD players of different types in the house from a
> portable player to an Xbox. I have a fairly new Samsung 8X DVD burner
which
> I have flashed with the latest firmware. I found by experimenting with
> different DVD media that some media would not work in every player. Some
> would spit the DVD back out at me while others would only play the menu
but
> lock up when trying to play the movie.
>
> I did my research at http://www.digitalfaq.com and learned to check the
> manufacturer ID of the DVD that I was burning. To make a long story short,
> found that regardless of the brand or manufacturer of the DVD that I was
> using, only the 4X media worked in every player. I then tried using some
of
> the 8X media that I had problems with and burned them at 4X. All of them
> worked perfectly in every player. It has not seemed to matter whether I am
> using DVD-R or DVD+R as I have had equally good and bad results with both.
> have been using good quality media such as TYG01 and TYG02. One of my
recent
> tests was an 8X Ritek R03 DVD+R from Maxell. I originally thought all the
> problems were due to the manufacturer but realized that in this particular
> situation, it was only a matter of the burn speed.
>
> Nero does not report any problems with any of the burns.
>
> I have some questions for anyone who might have some insight on this.
> 1. Has anyone else experienced this?
> 2. Does this sound like a problem with my DVD burner?
> 3. Is it normal for an 8X DVD burner to have to drop back to 4X speed to
get
> reliable burns?
> 4. Is it normal for some DVD equipment to not be able to read media that
was
> burned at a higher speed?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Rod

AnthonyR

"Steve Guidry" <steveguidry@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My experience on this matter : I've authored or overseen the authoring of
> several hundred discs, and I've run a small disc copy operation - - 50,000
> or so burned discs over the past 4 years.
>
> My advice : You can do lots of research, and buy the best burners and the
> best media. But in the end, over the long haul, you'll be back to 4x if
> you're trying to get maximum compatibility. In our operation, if it's an
> important master, we burn at 2x. This is doubly important if you're doing
> high bit-rate encoding, as the data is just so dense.
>
> I could be wrong, but I suspect that the folks who are getting "perfect
> 16x
> burns every time" are either not exposing their end product to wide
> variety
> of playback units, or just plain haven't done enough of them.
>

> Steve Guidry
> Video Works, Inc.
> Live events for TV and Video
> www.videoworksinc.com
> 800.844.4404
>

> Steve,
Thanks for that, interesting point of view coming from someone with so much
experience.
I technically can't understand the difference between a dvd burned at 16x
with no burn errors
and which passes disc error rates scans with flying colors and one burned at
lower speeds?

I do think you need to match the burning speed with the sweet spot of the
dye used, to get the most
error free burns. If the dye is reacting to the laser properly (matched
well) then you get good reaction together.
I have read on a post somewhere were using too slow a burn speed on dvd's
designed for high speed burning was yielding higher
than normal error rates also, so i think the key is to test well and find
the sweet spot that works for media used.

I'm not sure about what you said about higher bite rates being more densely
packed?
It makes sense if you have a higher bite rate, you will obviously fill the
entire disc, and that in
itself causes lots of problems as the outer edge is harder to read by the
player.
Also DVD's authored with high bit-rates run into more compatibility errors
with dvd players in general
which aren't able to read and process at high bite rates (even if within the
specs of dvd).
Lots of dvd players are older 1x readers and can't handle reading high bit
rates, I would assume.

I also want to ask, do you verify the data directly after the dvd has been
burned? I know this slows things down somewhat
since it has to be read and then compared to what was suppose to be written,
but i find this step is worth it in weeding out
errors. The dvd with 1 or more such errors seems to play fine most of the
time but eventually has a glitch that can freeze
on some machines or cause it to stop when being read at fast forward etc.
With older media, I found many such bad burns at that was at 4x back then,
now I hardly ever get one disc that hasn't passed
the verification process successfully. So the speed i gain at 16x helps make
up in the time it takes to verify the dvd after the burn. :)
But the peace of mind I get when it passes is worth it to me.

I am concerned about greater compatibility, and will keep your advice in
mind, if I start getting complaints. Thanks!

AnthonyR.

AnthonyR

> [...]
> burned? I know this slows things down somewhat
> since it has to be read and then compared to what was suppose to be
> written, but i find this step is worth it in weeding out
> errors. The dvd with 1 or more such errors seems to play fine most of the
> time but eventually has a glitch that can freeze
> on some machines or cause it to stop when being read at fast forward etc.
> With older media, I found many such bad burns at that was at 4x back then,
> now I hardly ever get one disc that hasn't passed
> the verification process successfully. So the speed i gain at 16x helps
> make up in the time it takes to verify the dvd after the burn. :)
> But the peace of mind I get when it passes is worth it to me.
>
> I am concerned about greater compatibility, and will keep your advice in
> mind, if I start getting complaints. Thanks!

I forgot to add, with DVD media...they didn't have this problem, cause they
could use same material in manufacturing process then
code it differently so firmware can only record at the specified rate
anyway, so they thought they found nirvana, lol
At least before modified firmware came to be that allows burning 16x on
DVD's sold as only 8X.
:)

AnthonyR.

I don't have the tech reasons for the questions you ask. I'm too much of a
practician to take the time to investigate. I just know that 2X and 4X
works, and over the long haul, higher doesn't work, IF your goal is for the
disks to be playable in a maximum number of customers' machines.

> I'm not sure about what you said about higher bite rates being more
densely
> packed?

OK, maybe I said that wrong. But you're right - - a higher bit-rate will
overload the input buffer on some cheaper and some older players. Usually
it just gets progressively worse, and then freezes.

> I also want to ask, do you verify the data directly after the dvd has been
> burned? I know this slows things down somewhat . . .

No, I just burn at 2X, and enjoy life. It's not scientific, but I don't
trust teh error-detection on a computer to find an error it made. If it's
important enough of a project, I do try it on each of a bank of players to
make sure it will work on a wide variety of players.

That's my process. And it works for me . . . and my customers.

Steve