Initating Remote Assitance/Desktop from Remote IT Staff

July 8, 2005 2:26:01 AM

I'm looking in using either using Remote Assitance and/or Desktop in a help
desk support environment. For example, if a user calls in asking for
assistance with a application, or if we are in need of troubleshooting the
machine, we would like to initate a remote assistance request that takes the
end user out of the equation so we don't need to walk them through how to
send a email/file request. We don't use MSN/Windows Messenger so that isn't
a option. Ideally it would be nice if we can right click on the machine in
Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) to initate a remote assistance
request.
We have a total of 230+ machines and twenty servers with three DCs in a
Active Directory environment. Our help desk staff have elevated "admin"
rights on the domain.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:23:19 AM

Jason wrote:
> I'm looking in using either using Remote Assitance and/or Desktop in
> a help desk support environment. For example, if a user calls in
> asking for assistance with a application, or if we are in need of
> troubleshooting the machine, we would like to initate a remote
> assistance request that takes the end user out of the equation so we
> don't need to walk them through how to send a email/file request.
> We don't use MSN/Windows Messenger so that isn't a option. Ideally
> it would be nice if we can right click on the machine in Active
> Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) to initate a remote assistance
> request.
> We have a total of 230+ machines and twenty servers with three DCs in
> a Active Directory environment. Our help desk staff have elevated
> "admin" rights on the domain.

Look into "Offer Remote Assistance".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In a domain environment, shadowing is probably the best option:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279656&sd=tech
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)