Remote Desktop

I hope you can help me with my problem.

I have a home network (wireless) with 1 - desktop; 2 - laptops and two
printers. All computers are running Windows XP -Pro SP2 and I am using MC
AFee Firewall. My ISP is DSL with static IP and the DSL Modem is configured
as bridge connection connected to my router of which is D-Link 614+ model.
Within my network everything works fine as far as sharing files, remote
desktop between the desktop and the laptops as well as the printers.

My problem is setting up my remote desktop outside of my network to connect
to my desktop. On my router, I opened Ports 3389 and 1723 but still I cannot
connect either through VPN or plain remote desktop and configured my router
putting the static IP address.

My first question is do I need a third party software to established VPN
connection or can I just use the XP VPN capability? If it is possible, is
there a website that you can refer me with detailed step by step instructions
on how to do it including troubleshooting. Second question is can I just set
up a plain remote desktop exclusively between one of my laptops and the
desktop.

Please advise and I will appreciate any help you cn give me.

Thanks,

Mike

For PPTP VPN you need both TCP Port 1723 forwarded through any
firewall/NAT/router *AND* enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic through the
firewall/NAT/router. Some manufacturers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through"
or "VPN Pass Through". Consult the documentation for help with that.

You can run the test detailed in the "VPN Traffic" section near the end of
this page to help pinpoint the problem area...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

See these pages for additional help with RDP...

Running RDP through a SSH tunnel...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

Personally I run RDP through a SSL tunnel...

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope you can help me with my problem.
>
> I have a home network (wireless) with 1 - desktop; 2 - laptops and two
> printers. All computers are running Windows XP -Pro SP2 and I am using MC
> AFee Firewall. My ISP is DSL with static IP and the DSL Modem is
> configured
> as bridge connection connected to my router of which is D-Link 614+ model.
> Within my network everything works fine as far as sharing files, remote
> desktop between the desktop and the laptops as well as the printers.
>
> My problem is setting up my remote desktop outside of my network to
> connect
> to my desktop. On my router, I opened Ports 3389 and 1723 but still I
> cannot
> connect either through VPN or plain remote desktop and configured my
> router
> putting the static IP address.
>
> My first question is do I need a third party software to established VPN
> connection or can I just use the XP VPN capability? If it is possible, is
> there a website that you can refer me with detailed step by step
> instructions
> on how to do it including troubleshooting. Second question is can I just
> set
> up a plain remote desktop exclusively between one of my laptops and the
> desktop.
>
> Please advise and I will appreciate any help you cn give me.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Mike

Thanks for your prompt response on my questions. I am fairly new on
networking so pardon me if I ask questions that are too basic.

How do I find the NAT and NIS in my router? What are the other jargon or
words for the NAT and NIS. I checked the website you mentioned but I still
cannot figure out my problem.

Is it possible for you to do a remote assistance on my desktop to
reconfigure my router?

Thanks,

Mike

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> For PPTP VPN you need both TCP Port 1723 forwarded through any
> firewall/NAT/router *AND* enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic through the
> firewall/NAT/router. Some manufacturers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through"
> or "VPN Pass Through". Consult the documentation for help with that.
>
> You can run the test detailed in the "VPN Traffic" section near the end of
> this page to help pinpoint the problem area...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
>
> See these pages for additional help with RDP...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> Running RDP through a SSH tunnel...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>
> Personally I run RDP through a SSL tunnel...
>
> http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13775231
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope you can help me with my problem.
> >
> > I have a home network (wireless) with 1 - desktop; 2 - laptops and two
> > printers. All computers are running Windows XP -Pro SP2 and I am using MC
> > AFee Firewall. My ISP is DSL with static IP and the DSL Modem is
> > configured
> > as bridge connection connected to my router of which is D-Link 614+ model.
> > Within my network everything works fine as far as sharing files, remote
> > desktop between the desktop and the laptops as well as the printers.
> >
> > My problem is setting up my remote desktop outside of my network to
> > connect
> > to my desktop. On my router, I opened Ports 3389 and 1723 but still I
> > cannot
> > connect either through VPN or plain remote desktop and configured my
> > router
> > putting the static IP address.
> >
> > My first question is do I need a third party software to established VPN
> > connection or can I just use the XP VPN capability? If it is possible, is
> > there a website that you can refer me with detailed step by step
> > instructions
> > on how to do it including troubleshooting. Second question is can I just
> > set
> > up a plain remote desktop exclusively between one of my laptops and the
> > desktop.
> >
> > Please advise and I will appreciate any help you cn give me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Mike

Open a Single Port
Please visit http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1005 for
complete FAQ.

Step 1 Open your web browser and enter the IP address of your D-Link
router (192.168.0.1). Enter username (admin) and your password (blank by
default).

Step 2 Click on Advanced on top and then click Virtual Server on the
left side.

Step 3 Check Enabled to activate entry.

Step 4 Enter a name for your virtual server entry.

Step 5 Next to Private IP, enter the IP address of the computer on
your local network that you want to allow the incoming service to.

Step 6 Choose Protocol Type - either TCP, UDP, or both. If you are not
sure, select both.

Step 7 Enter the port information next to Private Port and Public
Port. The private and public ports are usually the same. The public port is
the port seen from the WAN side, and the private port is the port being used
by the application on the computer within your local network.

Step 8 Enter the Schedule information.

Step 9 Click Apply and then click Continue.

Because our routers use NAT (Network Address Translation), you can
only open a specific port or ports to one computer at a time. For example:
If you have 2 web servers on your network, you cannot open port 80 to both
computers. You will need to configure 1 of the web servers to use port 81.
Now you can open port 80 to the first computer and then open port 81 to the
other computer.

PPTP VPN
Protocols have 8 bit identification numbers that are specified
in the TCP header. PPTP uses Protocol Id 47 which is GRE. Protocol 6 is TCP.
This identifies what protocol is being used.

This router does not support specific rules for specific
protocols other than TCP or UDP. The correct Virtual Server entry will
however forward Protocol ID 47/GRE properly.

Make sure you have the latest firmware. To upgrade, visit
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=966. After flashing the
firmware reset the router. Reconfigure your WAN interface to connect with
your ISP. Verify Internet connection.

In Virtual Server make 1 entry for your PPTP/GRE connection. Use
TCP port 1723 and forward to your MS VPN (PPTP/GRE) server. This has to be
TCP (not UDP or Both). After applying settings, check Firewall section for a
TCP 1723 entry and a PPTP_GRE entry. Now connect to your WAN IP address
using your MS VPN client from the WAN (this will not work from LAN using the
WAN IP to loopback to LAN).

Note: PPTP pass-through does not need to be enabled in the Tools

> [...]
>> > to my desktop. On my router, I opened Ports 3389 and 1723 but still I
>> > cannot
>> > connect either through VPN or plain remote desktop and configured my
>> > router
>> > putting the static IP address.
>> >
>> > My first question is do I need a third party software to established
>> > VPN
>> > connection or can I just use the XP VPN capability? If it is possible,
>> > is
>> > there a website that you can refer me with detailed step by step
>> > instructions
>> > on how to do it including troubleshooting. Second question is can I
>> > just
>> > set
>> > up a plain remote desktop exclusively between one of my laptops and the
>> > desktop.
>> >
>> > Please advise and I will appreciate any help you cn give me.

begin 666 print.gif
M1TE&.#EA$@`0`.9Z`/___^'AX;JZNJBHJ+R\O)V=G2@H*+BXN)>7E]+2TIB8
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M]'5U=</#P[Z^OD! 0"XN+CL[.____P```````````````````"'Y! $``'H`
M+ `````2`! ```?C@'J"@X2%AH,2802+!",E3P*'-P\0$@*7=A93)H<*`'(F
M"Z(!6'2'1A<R<0X.%#XH!@D=A60A<R5J'Q\C- IY9BL.A#T[7 (-R <L(F\1
M44J"20Q;!1HI`P,3`QI9-3,@38(*`0$))% <2P<'3D5'=P5L@A1E%1,A)P4,
M5&T("#PG;+P05 ```!8H+J09P( )&BLKKHR1(@A!D `J$G"H`^1!A@,I7*P1
MH4(0& ,P\ A!LL$`#@,88A YTR6 ( \/# +P8 $"B0P_,&AQDV,0G I>0 SY
0HB-"BQ95Q&R8=:AJH4 `.P``
`
end

Beb,

Thanks for your prompt reply and I really appreciate it.

I did everything you said as shown below:

On the virtual server I have this entry:
PPTP xxx.xxx.x.xxxTCP 1723/1723 always xxx - means my desktop lan ip address

On the Firewall screen I have this entry:

Allow PPTP WAN,* LAN,xxx.xxx.0.xxxTCP,1723
Allow PPTP_GRE WAN,* LAN,xxx.xxx.x.xxxGRE,

My dilemna is the forwarding to the MS VPN. How do I do it. I take it that
you mean forward my static IP from my ISP to my desktop xxx.xxx.x.xxx.

After I do that when I set up my VPN connection as client (from my laptop),
am I right that I use my static IP?

Please advise and again thanks a bunch

Mike