VTS to mpg

Hi

I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.

I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
programs are VTS.
Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
and don't have a .VOB after the number.

Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
edit onto a new DVD?

Thanks for any help.
Iain
9 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hi Jim

    The hidden folders was checked. Now unchecked. I don't understand how
    this will help.
    Cheers
    Iain

    Open a copy of Windows Explorer, click Tools/Folder Options, select the
    View tab, and make sure that the *Hide extensions for known file types*
    is NOT checked.

    VideoRedo has a 30 day trial. Try using that to copy your VTS file to
    mpeg. It is also superb for trimming and removing unwanted footage.

    Copy your VTS* file to your hard drive and rename with the .vob
    extension. Then try openinw with VR. Save the file as a .mpg file.
    Then bring that in to your Pinnacle.

    Cheers...

    On 27 Aug 2005 08:53:45 -0700, "Iain" <iain.tacey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
    >I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.
    >
    >I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
    >disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
    >The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
    >programs are VTS.
    >Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
    >when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
    >and don't have a .VOB after the number.
    >
    >Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
    >edit onto a new DVD?
    >
    >Thanks for any help.
    >Iain

    Do you have folder options | show hidden files checked

    On 27 Aug 2005 12:28:32 -0700, "Iain" <iain.tacey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi Jim
    >
    >The hidden folders was checked. Now unchecked. I don't understand how
    >this will help.
    >Cheers
    >Iain

    Iain,

    I have "show hidden files" checked, but this wont help you, sorry
    about that.

    this is the one you need under "file type"
    "hide extensions for known files and folders" unchecked

    Jim

    Iain wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
    > I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.
    >
    > I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
    > disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
    > The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
    > programs are VTS.
    > Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
    > when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
    > and don't have a .VOB after the number.
    >
    > Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
    > edit onto a new DVD?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Iain

    The latest version of Studio (Studio 9 Plus) will import the video from
    a DVD. You can find it under the File menu.

    If you just want to do light editing (remove commercials) I would
    suggest TMpgEnc DVD Author. Besides the editing, you can add/remove
    chapter stops and create a new menu.

    <xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > The latest version of Studio (Studio 9 Plus) will import the video from
    > a DVD. You can find it under the File menu.
    >
    > If you just want to do light editing (remove commercials) I would
    > suggest TMpgEnc DVD Author. Besides the editing, you can add/remove
    > chapter stops and create a new menu.

    And TDA even has a "Add DVD video..." button and
    process that lets you control the extraction of the MPEG
    data and place it into valid .mpg files on your hard drive.

    I've just started a major effort to transfer a number of
    hour long TV episodes, from DVD+Rs that I have made,
    to a www.buffalotech.com "TeraStation" for playback
    using their "LinkTheater". For this I am using the process
    Mark described, with VideoReDo.

    I find that the workflow is a little different if I had made
    an "episode" that contains two or three originally
    broadcast episodes. Then there will be more than one
    ..vob file per episode, it which case I use VideoReDo's
    joiner to create the "one big MPEG" ;that I have often
    found no use for in previous posts;( times change.).
    Otherwise; all I do is use the "QuickStream Fix" tool and
    have it output .mpg with a name like "SG1_S2_E07.mpg"
    (Show_Season_Episode)

    You can use the "Batch Manager", in fact the default action
    when you drop a selection of more than one file, onto
    the Batch Manager's page is to make a batch to run them
    through QuickStream Fix. If you did it that way you would
    rename the .mpg later. You can also use it and select each
    file separately, then you can name each one as you wish. But
    the QuickStream Fix, runs so fast it's not been worth it to
    make a batch anyway.

    I also recommend that you first copy the .vob files to your
    hard drive, you can run them through VideoReDo directly
    from the DVD, but it drastically slows the process.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Thanks folks.
    I was given a copy of YASA VOB convertor which seems to do the trick. I
    can convert .VOB files to mpg2 which is fine but when I try to convert
    to AVI I get no sound!

    Iain

    Iain wrote:
    > Thanks folks.
    > I was given a copy of YASA VOB convertor which seems to do the trick. I
    > can convert .VOB files to mpg2 which is fine but when I try to convert
    > to AVI I get no sound!
    >
    > Iain

    Possible the sound was in AC3 format. Demuxing the sound from the Mpg2
    and coverting it to Wav.
  9. download LEAWO Converter, it can convert VTS file... goodluck

    Quote:

    Hi

    I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
    I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.

    I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
    disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
    The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
    programs are VTS.
    Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
    when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
    and don't have a .VOB after the number.

    Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
    edit onto a new DVD?

    Thanks for any help.
    Iain

Tuner Cards Graphics