VTS to mpg

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2005 12:53:45 PM

Hi

I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.

I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
programs are VTS.
Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
and don't have a .VOB after the number.

Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
edit onto a new DVD?

Thanks for any help.
Iain

More about : vts mpg

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:28:32 PM

Hi Jim

The hidden folders was checked. Now unchecked. I don't understand how
this will help.
Cheers
Iain
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:12:44 PM

Open a copy of Windows Explorer, click Tools/Folder Options, select the
View tab, and make sure that the *Hide extensions for known file types*
is NOT checked.

VideoRedo has a 30 day trial. Try using that to copy your VTS file to
mpeg. It is also superb for trimming and removing unwanted footage.

Copy your VTS* file to your hard drive and rename with the .vob
extension. Then try openinw with VR. Save the file as a .mpg file.
Then bring that in to your Pinnacle.

Cheers...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:11:59 PM

On 27 Aug 2005 08:53:45 -0700, "Iain" <iain.tacey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
>I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.
>
>I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
>disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
>The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
>programs are VTS.
>Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
>when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
>and don't have a .VOB after the number.
>
>Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
>edit onto a new DVD?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Iain

Do you have folder options | show hidden files checked
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:25:04 AM

On 27 Aug 2005 12:28:32 -0700, "Iain" <iain.tacey@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi Jim
>
>The hidden folders was checked. Now unchecked. I don't understand how
>this will help.
>Cheers
>Iain

Iain,

I have "show hidden files" checked, but this wont help you, sorry
about that.

this is the one you need under "file type"
"hide extensions for known files and folders" unchecked

Jim
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 4:41:24 PM

Iain wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've got a Sony DVD recorder which I use to record TV progs.
> I've also got a DVD player/writer on my pc.
>
> I want to edit the progs I record from my Sony recorder by copying the
> disc onto my PC then use Pinnacle Studio 9.
> The problem is Studio 9 only recognises AVI and mpg formats and the TV
> programs are VTS.
> Someone said simply change the VTS.VOB name to VTS.MPG . Problem is
> when I open the VTS folder all the video clips are named VTS01-02 etc
> and don't have a .VOB after the number.
>
> Is there a way to convert or to edit VTS files so I can then reburn the
> edit onto a new DVD?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Iain

The latest version of Studio (Studio 9 Plus) will import the video from
a DVD. You can find it under the File menu.

If you just want to do light editing (remove commercials) I would
suggest TMpgEnc DVD Author. Besides the editing, you can add/remove
chapter stops and create a new menu.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:19:16 PM

<xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> The latest version of Studio (Studio 9 Plus) will import the video from
> a DVD. You can find it under the File menu.
>
> If you just want to do light editing (remove commercials) I would
> suggest TMpgEnc DVD Author. Besides the editing, you can add/remove
> chapter stops and create a new menu.

And TDA even has a "Add DVD video..." button and
process that lets you control the extraction of the MPEG
data and place it into valid .mpg files on your hard drive.

I've just started a major effort to transfer a number of
hour long TV episodes, from DVD+Rs that I have made,
to a www.buffalotech.com "TeraStation" for playback
using their "LinkTheater". For this I am using the process
Mark described, with VideoReDo.

I find that the workflow is a little different if I had made
an "episode" that contains two or three originally
broadcast episodes. Then there will be more than one
..vob file per episode, it which case I use VideoReDo's
joiner to create the "one big MPEG" ;that I have often
found no use for in previous posts;( times change.).
Otherwise; all I do is use the "QuickStream Fix" tool and
have it output .mpg with a name like "SG1_S2_E07.mpg"
(Show_Season_Episode)

You can use the "Batch Manager", in fact the default action
when you drop a selection of more than one file, onto
the Batch Manager's page is to make a batch to run them
through QuickStream Fix. If you did it that way you would
rename the .mpg later. You can also use it and select each
file separately, then you can name each one as you wish. But
the QuickStream Fix, runs so fast it's not been worth it to
make a batch anyway.

I also recommend that you first copy the .vob files to your
hard drive, you can run them through VideoReDo directly
from the DVD, but it drastically slows the process.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:35:35 PM

Thanks folks.
I was given a copy of YASA VOB convertor which seems to do the trick. I
can convert .VOB files to mpg2 which is fine but when I try to convert
to AVI I get no sound!

Iain
August 31, 2005 7:33:56 PM

Iain wrote:
> Thanks folks.
> I was given a copy of YASA VOB convertor which seems to do the trick. I
> can convert .VOB files to mpg2 which is fine but when I try to convert
> to AVI I get no sound!
>
> Iain

Possible the sound was in AC3 format. Demuxing the sound from the Mpg2
and coverting it to Wav.
April 1, 2012 11:42:10 PM

download LEAWO Converter, it can convert VTS file... goodluck

Quote:

!