Best way to archive my old VHS tapes to DVD's?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have about 30 or 40 VHS tapes that are aging.

What's the best way to convert them to DVD's?

I can plug my VCR into my digital camera and capture and save as MPEG2.

Then I have to store the raw MPEG2 files, from which I could author
DVD's.

Is this the easiest way to do the conversion?

"james" wrote ...
>I have about 30 or 40 VHS tapes that are aging.
>
> What's the best way to convert them to DVD's?
>
> I can plug my VCR into my digital camera and capture and save as
> MPEG2.
>
> Then I have to store the raw MPEG2 files, from which I could author
> DVD's.
>
> Is this the easiest way to do the conversion?d

No. Easiest is to use a standalone DVD recorder.
It will likely do just fine for your purposes and
MUCH more convienent (and FASTER besides.)

james wrote:
> I have about 30 or 40 VHS tapes that are aging.
>
> What's the best way to convert them to DVD's?
>
> I can plug my VCR into my digital camera and capture and save as MPEG2.
>
> Then I have to store the raw MPEG2 files, from which I could author
> DVD's.
>
> Is this the easiest way to do the conversion?

Just get a DVD recorder. Lite-on has some.

Gary Eickmeier

Over all yes. Cheapest way by far also.

On 28 Aug 2005 13:41:46 -0700, "james" <kevlar9296@aol.com> wrote:

>I have about 30 or 40 VHS tapes that are aging.
>
>What's the best way to convert them to DVD's?
>
>I can plug my VCR into my digital camera and capture and save as MPEG2.
>
>Then I have to store the raw MPEG2 files, from which I could author
>DVD's.
>
>Is this the easiest way to do the conversion?

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

james wrote:
> I have about 30 or 40 VHS tapes that are aging.
>
> What's the best way to convert them to DVD's?
>
> I can plug my VCR into my digital camera and capture and save as MPEG2.
>
> Then I have to store the raw MPEG2 files, from which I could author
> DVD's.
>
> Is this the easiest way to do the conversion?

Take a look at the Sony VRD-VC20. See this article:
http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20050511/
$251 right now at Bestbuy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7161876&type=product&id=1110266453869
This might be a good choice if you have no DVD burner at all at this time. It is
a "stand alone" DVD burner AND connects to your computer via USB2 to do the
things that a computer DVD burner does.
One drawback that I've noticed is that it no pass through video. If you connect
the "only" video output of your VCR to the input of the VC20... you can't
monitor what you are recording. Work arounds are to use the RF out of the VCR to
monitor the recording or use video DA.