Audio Sync problem when converting mpeg2 to avi...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 30, 2005 2:54:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a little USB TV Receiver with a view to using it record my
favourite TV shows and archiving them onto DVD's. I'm hoping to be able to
re-encode the captures into avi (DivX) format, so that I can then watch them
on my Standalone DVD that supports that format. The intention was to get as
much as possible onto the DVD's, hence my preference of DivX/XviD.

Now, the DigitalTV decoder only appears to have very limited options as far
capturing goes and I can only save captured video as Mpeg2. The quality of
these captures is excellent and I'm very happy with them, however, when it
comes to converting to avi I seem to be having some problems.

The mpeg2's are quite large files, just under 2Gb for an hour of video and
when I convert them to DivX format, using DrDivX, the file size is reduced
to around 600mb which is still quite a lot for an hour's video but I like to
keep the image quality as high as possible. Here's where the problem comes
in; the conversion looks and sounds great, but at about 5/6th's of the way
through there is a dramatic loss of audio sync. It goes out by at least 3
seconds, which is unacceptable.

I've tried changing various settings under the DrDivX options and
re-encoding but it makes no difference. I have also tried encoding direct
to DVD using Nero and the same thing happens. I've also tried converting to
XviD with AutoGordianKnot and it fails to convert.

I wonder, is this a common problem encountered when trying to convert from
an mpeg2 file? Can anybody recommend any other software that I could try?

Any ideas much appreciated :-)

By the way, the TV Box is one of these:
http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/be121.htm

and I'm running WindowsXP Home, fully up to date.

Vince
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:54:42 AM

Vince:

Try VideoRedo immediately on the captured file. It will correct out of
sync video and audio frames. Ken Maltby, I, and others have a
discussion elsewhere on this:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd.authoring/...

VR is $50 with a 30-day trial. Best investment that I made a while
back.

Cheers...

Mark
August 30, 2005 7:19:36 PM

"Mark Burns" <marcus520520@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Vince:
>
> Try VideoRedo immediately on the captured file. It will correct out of
> sync video and audio frames. Ken Maltby, I, and others have a
> discussion elsewhere on this:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd.authoring/...
>
> VR is $50 with a 30-day trial. Best investment that I made a while
> back.
>
> Cheers...
>
> Mark

Many thanks for the advice, Mark. I've just finished re-encoding the file
to AVI and it worked perfectly and even knocked another 100mb off the
finished file :-)

Vince
August 30, 2005 9:32:08 PM

Vince:

Glad to hear it. I assume that you used VideoRedo on it?

Cheers...

Mark
August 31, 2005 6:57:15 AM

> Vince:
>
> Glad to hear it. I assume that you used VideoRedo on it?
>
> Cheers...
>
> Mark

I did indeed, Mark.

It's an excellent little program and I'll definitely be buying a full key
for it when the trial is up. I'm just getting to grips with removing some
ad's in a programme that I recorded tonight and it's looking like it's very
user friendly. I can see this getting a lot of use :-)

Thanks for your help.

Vince
!