Audio Sync problem when converting mpeg2 to avi...

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a little USB TV Receiver with a view to using it record my
favourite TV shows and archiving them onto DVD's. I'm hoping to be able to
re-encode the captures into avi (DivX) format, so that I can then watch them
on my Standalone DVD that supports that format. The intention was to get as
much as possible onto the DVD's, hence my preference of DivX/XviD.

Now, the DigitalTV decoder only appears to have very limited options as far
capturing goes and I can only save captured video as Mpeg2. The quality of
these captures is excellent and I'm very happy with them, however, when it
comes to converting to avi I seem to be having some problems.

The mpeg2's are quite large files, just under 2Gb for an hour of video and
when I convert them to DivX format, using DrDivX, the file size is reduced
to around 600mb which is still quite a lot for an hour's video but I like to
keep the image quality as high as possible. Here's where the problem comes
in; the conversion looks and sounds great, but at about 5/6th's of the way
through there is a dramatic loss of audio sync. It goes out by at least 3
seconds, which is unacceptable.

I've tried changing various settings under the DrDivX options and
re-encoding but it makes no difference. I have also tried encoding direct
to DVD using Nero and the same thing happens. I've also tried converting to
XviD with AutoGordianKnot and it fails to convert.

I wonder, is this a common problem encountered when trying to convert from
an mpeg2 file? Can anybody recommend any other software that I could try?

Any ideas much appreciated :-)

By the way, the TV Box is one of these:
http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/be121.htm

and I'm running WindowsXP Home, fully up to date.

Vince
4 answers Last reply
More about audio sync problem converting mpeg2

    Vince:

    Try VideoRedo immediately on the captured file. It will correct out of
    sync video and audio frames. Ken Maltby, I, and others have a
    discussion elsewhere on this:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd.authoring/browse_frm/thread/f07adf177e23795e/32639cd0093fc974?lnk=st&q=&rnum=10&hl=en#32639cd0093fc974

    VR is $50 with a 30-day trial. Best investment that I made a while
    back.

    Cheers...

    Mark

    "Mark Burns" <marcus520520@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Vince:
    >
    > Try VideoRedo immediately on the captured file. It will correct out of
    > sync video and audio frames. Ken Maltby, I, and others have a
    > discussion elsewhere on this:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.dvd.authoring/browse_frm/thread/f07adf177e23795e/32639cd0093fc974?lnk=st&q=&rnum=10&hl=en#32639cd0093fc974
    >
    > VR is $50 with a 30-day trial. Best investment that I made a while
    > back.
    >
    > Cheers...
    >
    > Mark

    Many thanks for the advice, Mark. I've just finished re-encoding the file
    to AVI and it worked perfectly and even knocked another 100mb off the
    finished file :-)

    Vince

    Vince:

    Glad to hear it. I assume that you used VideoRedo on it?

    > Vince:
    >
    > Glad to hear it. I assume that you used VideoRedo on it?
    >
    > Cheers...
    >
    > Mark

    I did indeed, Mark.

    It's an excellent little program and I'll definitely be buying a full key
    for it when the trial is up. I'm just getting to grips with removing some
    ad's in a programme that I recorded tonight and it's looking like it's very
    user friendly. I can see this getting a lot of use :-)

    Thanks for your help.

    Vince

Tuner Cards Graphics