Windows 8 Customer Preview Apps Listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Bloated? Nope, runs on less hardware then Windows 7.
Don't like Metro? Turn it off.
Don't like the OS? No one forcing you to upgrade.

So many crybabies... jebus.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
I for one am looking forward to having all of my devices run on a single platform and natively communicate with each other without any frills or bending over backwards on my part.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]This is looking like it's going to be as bloated as vista.Cripes![/citation]
It's the consumer preview. It wouldn't be much of a preview if there were no apps to show off the new features of the OS. There is nothing said in the article about these apps being part of the final version.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]Don't like Metro? Turn it off[/citation]

The registry hack wont be available in the final version...

Dont know what you are talking about? Still comments!

[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]The registry hack wont be available in the final version... Dont know what you are talking about? Still comments![/citation]
It will not be a hack, there will be an option to turn it off within control panel... unless you have the ARM version which will not have the traditional desktop at all, which kinda sucks. So yes, you will have to deal with Metro for a whole 10 minutes while loading the OS and fixing your settings, after that you can deal with the good 'ol broken and useless start menu, instead of the new crappy Metro UI. But all that being said, I have had no problems using it on my netbook, and my only complaint is the required resolution for Metro is higher than my netbook natively supports... but then again I never use it, so I don't really care, and the rest of the OS is amazingly fast considering it is running on an older Atom and 1GB of ram (2GB of ram on my other netbook and there is no real performance difference between the two).

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]It will not be a hack, there will be an option to turn it off within control panel... unless you have the ARM version which will not have the traditional desktop at all, which kinda sucks. So yes, you will have to deal with Metro for a whole 10 minutes while loading the OS and fixing your settings, after that you can deal with the good 'ol broken and useless start menu, instead of the new crappy Metro UI. But all that being said, I have had no problems using it on my netbook, and my only complaint is the required resolution for Metro is higher than my netbook natively supports... but then again I never use it, so I don't really care, and the rest of the OS is amazingly fast considering it is running on an older Atom and 1GB of ram (2GB of ram on my other netbook and there is no real performance difference between the two).[/citation]

MS position is that the Metro UI is not the default UI, its the mandatory UI.

Research before spewing BS, thank you.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Okay Microsoft, I like how you try and rip Apple's already rip off price scheme on selling apps. Good luck with that 30%.

Also, what is the point of an "App store" on a desktop computer? There are already loads of services in place, and I don't think people are going to abandoned Steam or the like for your new service. You are WAY too late to the game. And speaking of games, that list sounds really lame.

Everything points to Windows 8 being a tablet focused OS.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]The registry hack wont be available in the final version... Dont know what you are talking about? Still comments![/citation]

Your username suits you.

The registry "hack" will still exist, but will be pointless, as the ability to disable metro will be done through a GUI (similar to disabling uac)

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Providing Metro will be mandatory and the Start Menu is not an option, I'll be switching to Linux once Windows 7 loses support.

I still use the last three most recent Windows releases (XP, Vista and 7) and Microsoft believes XP has overstayed it's welcome. I can't say I won't test or preview 8, but I can't see myself using it as my main operating system.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Okay Microsoft, I like how you try and rip Apple's already rip off price scheme on selling apps. Good luck with that 30%. Also, what is the point of an "App store" on a desktop computer? There are already loads of services in place, and I don't think people are going to abandoned Steam or the like for your new service. You are WAY too late to the game. And speaking of games, that list sounds really lame. Everything points to Windows 8 being a tablet focused OS.[/citation]
I can't see Windows 8 becoming a desktop OS. With the way Microsoft is taking it, it'll become the standard for Tablets and Touchscreen monitors. Maybe Microsoft should break off Windows 8 into it's own OS for touch-based devices in general while leaving the rest of the Windows line for desktops, kinda like how Windows 2000 Server broke off into the server line.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Okay Microsoft, I like how you try and rip Apple's already rip off price scheme on selling apps. Good luck with that 30%. Also, what is the point of an "App store" on a desktop computer? There are already loads of services in place, and I don't think people are going to abandoned Steam or the like for your new service. You are WAY too late to the game. And speaking of games, that list sounds really lame. Everything points to Windows 8 being a tablet focused OS.[/citation]

Where all this ties in, is ms is trying to build a unified platform, so while you may not use the app store for purchases on your pc, you could have access to items you purchased for your win8 tablet, on your pc.

I would say its less "Everything points to Windows 8 being a tablet focused OS." and more "Everything points to metro being a tablet\smartphone focused UI."

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Every time an OS feature set changes, or a popular website (youTube, Facebook) changes, everyone complains. "BUT BUT BUT, I like it the way I like it."

Time and technology marches on and wait for no man.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

I think the app store is a great idea... why do u think IE is the #1 browser in usage, because it comes pre installed with windows. If the average user is looking for software they are far more likely to use a built in store then surf the web.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Northwestern[/nom]Providing Metro will be mandatory and the Start Menu is not an option, I'll be switching to Linux once Windows 7 loses support.I still use the last three most recent Windows releases (XP, Vista and 7) and Microsoft believes XP has overstayed it's welcome. I can't say I won't test or preview 8, but I can't see myself using it as my main operating system.[/citation]

unless u are gaming or use microsoft apps why wouldnt u use linux already?

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Your username suits you.The registry "hack" will still exist, but will be pointless, as the ability to disable metro will be done through a GUI (similar to disabling uac)[/citation]

No it wont. It was explicitely stated the Metro is mandatory and there will be no option to turn it off... Until someone comes out with a hack (a week after release, top).

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]MS position is that the Metro UI is not the default UI, its the mandatory UI.[/citation]

LOL, got any sources?

I have two words for you - enterprise users. That single reason is your guarantee that the Metro UI is optional in the final version. Period.

Now I've got about an hour while he desperatly tries to find some sources and fails.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]No it wont. It was explicitely stated the Metro is mandatory and there will be no option to turn it off... Until someone comes out with a hack (a week after release, top).[/citation]

Again, source fail?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
To be honest, I am kind of excited about the Win8. It is probably the very first time MS Windows trying to be not so "windows". I am not sure how good/bad it is going to be, but it is always fun to see some changes.
While I really want to give win8 a try as soon as it gets out of the gate, I will probably wait for a little while. Since base on MS's track record, it usually take MS a while (if not a service pack) to have its new windows to be mature enough without creating too much of pain (bugs, patches, and most of all software/hardware/GAME compatibility).

Anyone that already has a Win7 system won't find a compelling reason to shell out the extra bucks just for an OS upgrade.

For anyone buying a new system with Win8 already installed I suspect they won't find a compelling reason to dig into the wallet for an OS downgrade.

G

[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]I for one am looking forward to having all of my devices run on a single platform and natively communicate with each other without any frills or bending over backwards on my part.[/citation]

Who says "I for one" these days....

MS Has stated Windows 8 is Metro UI.... Default and complete, but like you, I honestly believe they will not go through with this as it will be a death knell to enterprise and any serious content creator!

This notion of everything just magically working together is far fetched, there has not been a single example of this happening, even in the closed eco system that is iOS and OSX. There is the closest you will get and trust me, it does not JUST WORK. Microsoft wont come along and just make this work like you are waiting for!

You say sources, but come up with absolutely NIL of your own stating METRO will be a "toggle" on or off!

Status
Not open for further replies.