Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64-bit connection issues

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2011 1:00:13 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased a new computer and installed Windows 7. My copy of 7 is an upgrade disc (used on my old computer which had XP), so I first tried the methods detailed here (first the registry modification, then the double-install). Neither worked, so I called tech support, got the confirmation ID and activated it fine. However, my issue is that only specifically 64-bit applications can connect to the internet - Internet Explorer 8 64-bit and Teamspeak 3 64-bit both work perfectly, whereas Chrome, Firefox, Steam, various games etc cannot.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh yeah, if I boot Linux on the same computer it works just fine.
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2011 5:49:17 AM

This makes no sense. All 32bit programs will work perfectly under Windows 7 64. How exactly do you connect to the internet? Are their any specific error messages from the programs that won't connect?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2011 12:56:26 PM

What? You are not making sense. You cannot "upgrade" a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. It requires a complete new install. Then you must install all your programs to the new 64 bit OS. If you are trying to simply run your old programs from your old XP installation while booted up to your new 64 bit installation, you cannot do that. You have to reinstall everything from scratch to the new 64 bit OS.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2011 9:50:23 PM

Herr_Koos said:
This makes no sense. All 32bit programs will work perfectly under Windows 7 64. How exactly do you connect to the internet? Are their any specific error messages from the programs that won't connect?

Computer has a wired connection to the router (Linksys WRT54GL, running recent Gargoyle firmware), which is connected to the modem.

No error messages; IE8 just says "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage", with the option to use the Network Diagnostics tool.

Google Chrome: "This web page is not available.

The web page at http://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address."

Steam and games just give generic "could not connect" messages.

jitpublisher said:
What? You are not making sense. You cannot "upgrade" a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. It requires a complete new install. Then you must install all your programs to the new 64 bit OS. If you are trying to simply run your old programs from your old XP installation while booted up to your new 64 bit installation, you cannot do that. You have to reinstall everything from scratch to the new 64 bit OS.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - that was my previous computer, and it was a new installation.

My issue is with my new computer - I was only mentioning that to explain why I had to try the "double install" to activate.

The new computer computer worked fine for about a week before I did that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 5:09:12 AM

You mention that IE-64bit can connect, but Chrome and IE32 cannot. Do you have an "always on" connection to your ISP?
m
l
January 11, 2011 5:59:53 AM

Herr_Koos said:
You mention that IE-64bit can connect, but Chrome and IE32 cannot. Do you have an "always on" connection to your ISP?

Yes, I do.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 6:12:12 AM

This is very puzzling. This is Win7-64, right? Try downloading Firefox (32-bit) and see if that works. It sometimes has clearer error messages than IE.
m
l
a c 243 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2011 12:16:31 PM

Also, I have seen this problem when your local DNS service has a problem. Try setting your DNS addresses manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (this below to Google and are publicly accessible).
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:03:46 AM

Well, I just went ahead and reinstalled Windows 7, which resolved the problem.

Whatever it was.

By the way, Firefox didn't give a better error message.

Thanks though!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2011 9:40:08 AM

Cool, glad to hear it. Very odd bug, this.
m
l
!