Outbound Remote Desktop Connection on Linksys Router

digerati

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble setting up a remote desktop connection to my
workplace through my Linksys BEFSX41 router at home. I know it is the router
causing the problem because when I physically bypass it, I can connect to my
workplace no problem with Remote Desktop Connection. Linksys doesn't seem to
be able to help me, they keep talking about VPN tunnels. I don't think that
this software uses VPN. I have tried disabling the built-in firewall, port
triggering port 3389 (don't really know what that does), creating a static ip
on my end and port forwarding port 3389 to that computer, and even a DMZ
doesn't work! Ultimately I would like to be able to use Remote Desktop
Connection on all my computers at home to connect to work, so I think that
port forwarding is not the right choice anyways. I don't see why the
client-side router should have to do port forwarding, I thought only the
host-side router should be port forwarding. Any help would be extremely
appreciated as this is becoming very frustrating.

Reply to message from "Digerati" <Digerati@discussions.microsoft.com> (Tue, 12 Jul 2005
16:45:03) about "Outbound Remote Desktop Connection on Linksys Router":

> Hi, I am having a lot of trouble setting up a remote desktop connection to my workplace
> through my Linksys BEFSX41 router at home. I know it is the router causing the problem
> because when I physically bypass it, I can connect to my workplace no problem with
> Remote Desktop Connection. Linksys doesn't seem to be able to help me, they keep
> talking about VPN tunnels. I don't think that this software uses VPN. I have tried
> disabling the built-in firewall, port triggering port 3389 (don't really know what that
> does), creating a static ip on my end and port forwarding port 3389 to that computer,
> and even a DMZ doesn't work! Ultimately I would like to be able to use Remote Desktop
> Connection on all my computers at home to connect to work, so I think that port
> forwarding is not the right choice anyways. I don't see why the client-side router
> should have to do port forwarding, I thought only the host-side router should be port
> forwarding. Any help would be extremely appreciated as this is becoming very
> frustrating.

Have you tried a power off/on of your home router? Are you running the latest firmware in
the router? Have you tried reflashing the router firmware?

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

digerati

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005

Rebooting the router did nothing, but installing the lastest firmware solved
my problem. Thanks a lot!

Justin

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Reply to message from "Digerati" <Digerati@discussions.microsoft.com> (Tue, 12 Jul 2005
> 16:45:03) about "Outbound Remote Desktop Connection on Linksys Router":
>
> > Hi, I am having a lot of trouble setting up a remote desktop connection to my workplace
> > through my Linksys BEFSX41 router at home. I know it is the router causing the problem
> > because when I physically bypass it, I can connect to my workplace no problem with
> > Remote Desktop Connection. Linksys doesn't seem to be able to help me, they keep
> > talking about VPN tunnels. I don't think that this software uses VPN. I have tried
> > disabling the built-in firewall, port triggering port 3389 (don't really know what that
> > does), creating a static ip on my end and port forwarding port 3389 to that computer,
> > and even a DMZ doesn't work! Ultimately I would like to be able to use Remote Desktop
> > Connection on all my computers at home to connect to work, so I think that port
> > forwarding is not the right choice anyways. I don't see why the client-side router
> > should have to do port forwarding, I thought only the host-side router should be port
> > forwarding. Any help would be extremely appreciated as this is becoming very
> > frustrating.
>
> Have you tried a power off/on of your home router? Are you running the latest firmware in
> the router? Have you tried reflashing the router firmware?
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

Good... Glad its working for you...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...